ammo conspiracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ammo conspiracy?

OL published an article with an interview with the owner of Black Hills ammo, about no ammo conspiracy. OK, I get that there is a high demand for ammo, and it is being snatched up, But, what I don't get is all the price gouging. I expect that from the small gun shops, but not large retailers such as Midway USA! Are the manufacturers gouging the suppliers, who turn it over to us? If so, that is a conspiracy! A box of 9mm 115 FMJ a year ago was $12.95. Now, that same box of ammo is $35-$50 plus s/h! Don't try to find any local, because that is not going to happen. That is a conspiracy. Someone in the supply chain is conspiring to cheat the end user out of his dollar.

I believe it is being driven by fear. Fear of gun bans, fear of high special taxes and permits. I believe the overwhelming majority of gun owners won't comply with either. To do this they have to have a lifetime supply of ammunition so if ammunition sales are recorded, they won't have to buy any and thus stay below the radar. There is only so much ammo making ability so the crazed demand causes the supply to be more valuable, hence higher price. If demand stops (we stop buying) price will reflect that also and fall accordingly. Hard to accept but we the consumer are driving this inflation/scarcity. Same as small food, housing, or any other commodity.

Comment

The price of anything will only stop going up when the demand ceases ! As long as the market continues to be viable, the producer will take advantage of it to a point. If there is no quality of competition to check prices, and demand continues as prices also continue upward, producers will keep prices going up. Competition will be a factor to a point if it stays below market price. I agree with dewman, it is the hoarding that is presently causing shortages and those hoarding who are wishing to price gouge even more with the shortage they cause. And of course, I would presume that producers love this.

Comment

Chick,
        Yes, there is a conspiracy, but its fellow shooters who are "playing the game".
        I've bought ammo at Academy at current prices ($21.95/bx). The same box of ammo "online" is something like $45 to $60/bx!
        The manufacturer's are producing ammo and selling it wholesale to retailers. SOME retailers are taking advantage of the current situation, but some, and I know of one, who keep their ammo hidden to circumvent the "hoarders".
        They have to limit purchases of specific ammos to "known" customers. If not, their stocks would be bought up quickly then sold online for inflated prices and their best customers quit visiting their store due to a lack of ammo.
        "Good" customers continue to patronize their store because they "know" they can get "some" ammo rather than the "empty shelf" syndrome Academy suffers from.

I don't see this "ammo crunch" ending anytime soon.
        It would do my heart good to see hoarders having to eat their stocks at retail prices! !

Comment

I've been signing up to be notified by Midway when certain ammo becomes available. Recently they notified me some 6.5 CM was available but I passed on the purchase because of the higher price. I checked back a few hours later and all of it was gone. The prices will remain higher as long as people are willing to pay.

My local gun shop owner refuses to gouge and only adds his normal mark-up. The problem is he can't get suppliers to send him anything.

Comment

The local news has an online want ad site. It now has an advertiser, private person, I assume, wanting to trade ammo for guns, listing an inventory of over 16,000 total rounds in 5 calibers. There's your conspiracy.
            Last edited by franchi20; 03-17-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              The problem is he can't get suppliers to send him anything.
              This is one of the reasons retailers are marking up what stock they do have. Businesses need a certain amount of cash flow to make payroll and keep the lights on, with limited inventory they have to up the profit margins on what they have to sell so they can keep operating. It’s a balancing act.

Comment

The Group President for Federal made a video. He said they are going all out in production. Their ammo and other ammo mfg. get preference over reloaders.
                The massive new gun sales over the last couple years wiped out their normal production runs and it takes time to speed up because if and when the demand subsides they don't want their production capability to overshoot the reduced demand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget