Dust on the bottle(s); Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust on the bottle(s); Any good?

My aunt next door started cleaning out an unused closet under a stairway last week. Her mom passed almost 15 years ago but she still hasn’t gone through the whole place even though she moved back home 16 years ago. She found a box she couldn’t lift, had the Kid haul it out for her. Some guys from downstate used to hunt the place regularly and stay at the house, they always brought “supplies” and gifts. The box contained the remnants of those days. Latest date on one of the bottles is 1991. About when the guys stopped coming up.

Don’t want to poison myself or anyone else, the sealed bottles of liquor are ok I’d guess, not sure about some of the open ones or the wine. Might not make you sick but maybe gag?

The Dewers bottle intrigues me the most. Any good?

Comments welcome.

I've recently had to discard some booze in opened bottles. My stepdaughter has been living with us and sneaking into the liquor cabinet. Drank down several bottles, only leaving an ounce or so. Sneaky. PigHuntress is also missing some of her medications.

So, we've had a come-to-Jesus discussion and are now working on getting her out of here within the next three weeks. I've hidden the unopened bottles and am using this as a great opportunity to get rid of the old stuff she didn't drink. But I'm glad she wiped out those jars of moonshine we picked up in Gatlinburg, TN... was never gonna finish that!
    PigHunter
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Last edited by PigHunter; 03-15-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      I've recently had to discard some booze in opened bottles. My stepdaughter has been living with us and sneaking into the liquor cabinet. Drank down several bottles, only leaving an ounce or so. Sneaky. PigHuntress is also missing some of her medications.

So, we've had a come-to-Jesus discussion and are now working on getting her out of here within the next three weeks. I've hidden the unopened bottles and am using this as a great opportunity to get rid of the old stuff she didn't drink. But I'm glad she wiped out those jars of moonshine we picked up in Gatlinburg, TN... was never gonna finish that!
      Sorry to read this PH, especially about the meds. Scary stuff. Hope things turn around.

Our story telling on F&S had me thinking about my two, they’re good kids but I don’t expect them to be perfect. I certainly wasn’t. Different times then though.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Sorry to read this PH, especially about the meds. Scary stuff. Hope things turn around.

Our story telling on F&S had me thinking about my two, they’re good kids but I don’t expect them to be perfect. I certainly wasn’t. Different times then though.
        Kids are scary fitch270.
        I've seen several A1 kids go astray. Pregnant, alcohol, drugs, etc..
        Also knew a couple that just made a bad decision that really messed up the rest of their lives.

All you can do is raise them "right", give them the best advice, direction and information available and hope for the best.

Raise them in the ways of the Lord and as adults, they will return to it.
        😐

Comment

Thanks Fitch, it is indeed scary stuff.

So far, my biological children don't appear to be substance abusers. But my step-son was a heroin user and been without for a few days before he shot himself. My step-grandson is also a heroin user and he's no longer allowed on our property. Stole from us just like his late uncle did. Might as well be dead too..

My step-daughter seemed to have been getting past the alcohol problem but apparently not as much as I'd hoped. We took her in late last Summer when she began to have some very serious health issues. She probably would have died if we hadn't. I care for her but will not tolerate stealing in my home, so am working to get her out of here.

Comment

Liquor will keep indefinitely if tightly sealed. Wine not so much. I drank some bourbon last year that was in a bicentennial commemorative bottle. Good stuff, do the math. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
              Liquor will keep indefinitely if tightly sealed.
              You may think that true, but best not chance it. Let me know when you want me to show up on your doorstep for some of that 25 YO Macallen.

Comment

You Scotch guys don’t seem very interested in that 30 year old bottle of Dewer’s. The silence is deafening.

Comment

Well, here's what I know: Dewars is a bargain-ish blend to begin with. It's OK today, was probably better back then. At least the proof was 86.8 instead of 80.

Judging by the fill level, either someone opened, drank the neck, and put it back, or if it's still sealed, and the metal cap didn't do a great job and you lost some to evaporation, which probably oxidised the whisky a bit. Might taste a bit wet-carboardy if that's the case.
                  In any event, it won't kill you, and you might like it.

Scotch doesn't age in the bottle, but I've heard tell that it does "round off" a bit, whatever that means. And the old blends definitely had more malt whisky in them than today, as a rule.

Slainte mhath!

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                    Well, here's what I know: Dewars is a bargain-ish blend to begin with. It's OK today, was probably better back then. At least the proof was 86.8 instead of 80.

Judging by the fill level, either someone opened, drank the neck, and put it back, or if it's still sealed, and the metal cap didn't do a great job and you lost some to evaporation, which probably oxidised the whisky a bit. Might taste a bit wet-carboardy if that's the case.
                    In any event, it won't kill you, and you might like it.

Scotch doesn't age in the bottle, but I've heard tell that it does "round off" a bit, whatever that means. And the old blends definitely had more malt whisky in them than today, as a rule.

Slainte mhath!
                    Thanks ‘flyer.

My go to for sipping whiskey is Crown Royal and occasionally I’ll switch up with Wild Turkey 101. Straight, but if I’m indulging in more than one I’ll chase with a Coke or Pepsi. A 750ml bottle last me about a year unless I have help. I don’t believe I’ve ever tried Scotch of any sort so didn’t want a sample of one to form a opinion on. I’ll let you know.

Bottle is most definitely sealed, none of the other bottles have anything like this on their seals but if it’s in fact a date on this one then the bottle is 53ish years old. Could explain some evaporation.

72B8F20C-E653-475B-83E4-437AB20AB301.jpeg

Comment

I've been more of a Rum fan since the Caribbean trip a few years ago. I usually mix it with fruit juice and make it into a girlie drink.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Bottle is most definitely sealed, none of the other bottles have anything like this on their seals but if it’s in fact a date on this one then the bottle is 53ish years old. Could explain some evaporation.
                        It looks like a date, doesn't it, but I don't think it is. Must be a NY impost seal code of some sort, because I found this exact code on other bottles of Dewars, oddly, that the poster said were from the 80's or so. Will link to what I found below. Additionally, on auction (yes there is a market) some said it would go for around $150 quid or so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiskeyTrib..._what_i_think/

Comment

Oh, and Crown Royal and Wild Turkey are made from a goodly portion of corn, which gives it a sweeter taste. Scotch is made a bit differently and with different casks, and can even have a smoky (from peat fires used to dry the barley) earthy flavor, that you either dig or don't.

If you're not someone that hates anything different from what you're used to, you may find you enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

It looks like a date, doesn't it, but I don't think it is. Must be a NY impost seal code of some sort, because I found this exact code on other bottles of Dewars, oddly, that the poster said were from the 80's or so. Will link to what I found below. Additionally, on auction (yes there is a market) some said it would go for around $150 quid or so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiskeyTrib..._what_i_think/

An 80's import code would fit based on the other bottles, most of which are domestic brands.

My cousin and possibly a friend of his should be down in May for turkey season, his friend is from way back and is part of the history of the place so opening it for a toast to days gone by seems appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              I've been more of a Rum fan since the Caribbean trip a few years ago. I usually mix it with fruit juice and make it into a girlie drink.
                              I've always been a light weight, weighed about 130 in my 20's. Back then I'd be full after about 3 beers so if I really wanted to party it was rum and Coke. There's a small bottle of Bacardi Gold in there that's mostly full so I may have to bring home some cola in the red cans. I prefer Pepsi but it just doesn't mix the same.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget