Projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects?

Typically this is the time of year where cabin fever starts to break, after a long year and tough winter I’m beginning to think about outside projects. I hadn’t had much ambition to take on inside stuff the past couple months but did spend this week prepping and repainting my daughter’s bedroom. There’s still some trim work left but nothing serious. I knew I’d better get after it before the weather broke and the yard called to me.

Other than typical spring clean up I have a couple things I’d like to accomplish. I have a contractor friend who’ll be finishing up the window replacement, siding and deck upgrades we started late last summer and fall. I’ll be pulling the remaining deck apart and will be building a second shooting shack for the hill. This one might end up a little bigger and prepped for colder temps. It will go farther up on the hill for those cold days when it’s too noisy to be moving around much.

Along with that I need to open up the old log/farm roads up top. They’ve gotten badly choked up with new growth and deadfall. It made getting my cousin’s deer down much more difficult than it should have been, besides that deer will use them as travel routes and scrape lines. If I get crazy into it I might even rent a small dozer. I’ve held off because I’d talked to a guy about logging the place a few years back and figured he’d need to do it anyway. Just not sure if or when it will happen.

Of course we’ll be doing food plots again. Last year’s didn’t do so well so we’ll try things a little different. Going to try several patches of different plantings in a checker board arrangement and hope something takes well.

There’s also some road work and ground to fix up from my aunt’s spring line replacement last fall. That might be the main reason for renting a dozer. Wicked amount of rock to deal with. Likely we’ll just fix the worst spots and let it brush back up somewhat. It will depend on what pops back up.

Lastly, if the road up turns out well I might just set up a small area that we can get to with the camper. Not a permanent spot, don’t want to risk critters getting in, but someplace we can hide out for a weekend now and then.

Problem is finding the balance between prepping for hunting season and actually having some fun this spring and summer. Turkey season is a given but I should really fish more this year.

So what do you hope to accomplish before fall?

Those are good plans and should provide good returns. There' can be fun even in work like that. But you're right to keep a balance.

My projects are mostly improvements of the exterior at home. We have had a mild winter and been working on replacing the wooden privacy fence around the back yard. Built a new back gate yesterday.

I'm going to plant Azaleas, put down sod, and build a small retaining wall. Then I'm going to rebuild part of the deck, making the screened in porch into a sun room.

Prep for next season includes handloads for a couple of rifles.

Comment

Plans? Yup!
      Just finished a reclaimed wood sliding barn door for the kids house. Now I gotta hang that heavy sucker.
      Turned out a lot better than I thought it would! 😀! (photo later)
      Headed back to OK Mar 20 or 21.
      Gotta try to get a garden in before surgery Apr 5th. Maybe I can "git-r-dun"!
      See if I can line out a one legged (me) turkey hunt.
      Back to S. Texas by May 14, then back to OK, just not sure "when".
      Have to be back in OK by Sept for surgery followup.
      BACK to S. Texas for the winter and maybe a deer hunt.

This year sounds busy.
      Then there's the spring jelly and wine in the fall

Comment

Fix sewer line damaged by neighbors trees. Redo bathroom ceiling and then finish a messed up Ruger #3 in .219 D wasp

Somebody made a wide forend for it, horrible work. And it had a reg #3 stock, but now wears a used #1 w a few dings. Just ordered a used red pad for it. Have to find forend. Barrel taper wouldnt work w old Redfield #3 bases. Shim was under rear, front had epoxy. Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zees what it will wear. Can shim the rear and get it close using alignment tools. Aftet that if it needs anything just use offset inserts of the rings.

Need to find a Leupold 10x or 12x for it. Prices too high.

May get an unfinished forend and open up for heavy bbl. Have not found a V or B forend for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          Fix sewer line damaged by neighbors trees. Redo bathroom ceiling and then finish a messed up Ruger #3 in .219 D wasp

Somebody made a wide forend for it, horrible work. And it had a reg #3 stock, but now wears a used #1 w a few dings. Just ordered a used red pad for it. Have to find forend. Barrel taper wouldnt work w old Redfield #3 bases. Shim was under rear, front had epoxy. Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zees what it will wear. Can shim the rear and get it close using alignment tools. Aftet that if it needs anything just use offset inserts of the rings.

Need to find a Leupold 10x or 12x for it. Prices too high.

May get an unfinished forend and open up for heavy bbl. Have not found a V or B forend for sale.
          Another rifle rescue? Doubt you’ll be picking up .219 Donaldson Wasp ammo at Walmart so how much came with it?

Pics if you get the chance, your gun projects are always interesting.

I finished my daughter’s room up tonight, last piece of trim work is up. Painted a couple pieces of furniture to match the walls and her accents but have one small nightstand to do yet. It’s an old project someone else started and I picked up at a clean out type deal. Needs some glue and putty, too far gone for refinishing but mostly solid and will be a good way to use up the rest of the paint. Tossed out about 6-8 cans last spring that hardened up. Hate that.

Comment

Its a short wasp thats had the shoulder reamed to long wasp.

A guy made some ammo for my dad.
            Inherited the project

Comment

Pops had some rigs out of whack and never got around to setting em right. His arthritis just got to be too much.

Comment

Have a lot to do, looks like all new sewer line. That and bathroom, plus estate stuff....turkey season is probably a no go. My head and heart aint into anything right now. I havent gone anywhere on vacation since 95.

Burned vac and personal time for kid and dad health stuff.

Get new vacation allotment, after turkey season LOL

Comment

I am not doing the sewer line. Should, and save me some money ( plus do it right ). But am too old and screwed up for that kind ( and amount ) of work.

So now i get to drink beer and supervise..... supervise my wallet going empty!

Comment

CD2 : my disabilities force me to hire out work also, and like you whoever shows up is getting me overseeing every step, and keeping my mouth shut never happens. Not afraid to say stop I'll get someone else to anybody. Wife knows better than to tell me to "let it go, it's fine".

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      CD2 : my disabilities force me to hire out work also, and like you whoever shows up is getting me overseeing every step, and keeping my mouth shut never happens. Not afraid to say stop I'll get someone else to anybody. Wife knows better than to tell me to "let it go, it's fine".
                      LOL!
                      I don't "hire", I just take my time and do it myself, for now! 😀!
                      I'm constantly having to tell the wife and kids, "I'm a cripple! NOT an invalid!"
                      It's my OFS kicking in! LOL!

Comment

Speaking of "projects"....!

When the kid bought this place, there was a 2 room "shack" in the back yard. We pushed it down, cleaned up the antique lumber and stacked it.
                        On a whim, I came up with this!

A sliding "barn door"!

This side is visible from the dining room.
                        20210312_165639.jpg
                        20210312_165618.jpgThis side is visible from the den.

The rail and rollers are from a barn on our place in Oklahoma.

Also, inside the "shack" were three chairs.
                        I tossed them in the "useless" lumber stack and burned them to get the wood off them and throw them on the scrap trailer.

Came up with this project.
                        20210116_141033.jpg
                        After the fire....

Wire brushed them....

Primed them...
                        20210209_081121.jpg
                        Painted them black and used the reclaimed wood to make seats and backs.

Not too bad for an old cripple! LOL!

Comment

Very nice FB, would be proud to have them at my own home.👍👍👍

Comment

Well done on both counts FB!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget