replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Raised white letters?
    Only for souped up rigs.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    But to be period correct you'll need those 450R x 23.6's with whitewalls, they're for a classic after all.
    Raised white letters?

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    But to be period correct you'll need those 450R x 23.6's with whitewalls, they're for a classic after all.
    Yes, this is true!

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    Just bustin' balls mostly, but who are the real dingle berries? The guys trying to keep track of all the messed up monikers in the firearm world or they that named them?

"Wait, so a 38 uses the same bullet as a .357?"
    "What's the difference between a 7mm Express and a .280?"
    "Ok, so a 45-70 uses a 45 call bullet and originally had 70 grains of black powder...so that explains the caliber and powder charge for the 38-40, right?"
    "By the way, what's a 'grain'?"
    "Hmm...35 Whelen...was there a Colonel Zipper too?"

Imagine buying tires in the firearms world:

​​​​​You have 18" rims, so you're going to need to look for 16.7 inch tires, unless your European. Then look for 450 mm tires, because 16.7" is 424.2 mm. Oh, and the tire sizes are the same, but the Euro tires that have an "R" at the end will blow up an older car because they operate at a higher air pressure. OK.

The width of the tire is an based on the hardness of the wooden spokes from the old horse drawn carriages, so it has nothing to do with the measurement of the tire. It's roughly equivalent to the distance a vole could jump in the spring in soft ground, and as the numbers get larger, the width gets smaller. Just because.

Finally, all the tire manufacturers make the same tires, but they won't fit in each other's rims, because they are slightly different. And they are all named after the maiden names of the Gemini astronaut's wives.

Got it?

"So I need a set of Shearon 450R mm with a width of 23.6 voleleaps in the Ford pattern?

"Yes, exactly."

"OK, I'll take a set of four."

"Sorry, we're out. Political pressure for reduction in traffic caused hoarding. But I got a buddy that will sell you a set for $1399 per tire..."
    LMBO!!!!
    That's good amflyer!

The clerk was also quite certain that the 5.56mm ammo was NOT .223 Rem ammo.
    Perhaps it should be .223 voleleaps?

I'm all about standardizing caliber designations, but that takes all the fun out of Hornets, Zippers, Swifts, Robert's, Gov't, Improved, etc, etc.......

O're well!

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Just bustin' balls mostly, but who are the real dingle berries? The guys trying to keep track of all the messed up monikers in the firearm world or they that named them?

"Wait, so a 38 uses the same bullet as a .357?"
    "What's the difference between a 7mm Express and a .280?"
    "Ok, so a 45-70 uses a 45 call bullet and originally had 70 grains of black powder...so that explains the caliber and powder charge for the 38-40, right?"
    "By the way, what's a 'grain'?"
    "Hmm...35 Whelen...was there a Colonel Zipper too?"

Imagine buying tires in the firearms world:

​​​​​You have 18" rims, so you're going to need to look for 16.7 inch tires, unless your European. Then look for 450 mm tires, because 16.7" is 424.2 mm. Oh, and the tire sizes are the same, but the Euro tires that have an "R" at the end will blow up an older car because they operate at a higher air pressure. OK.

The width of the tire is an based on the hardness of the wooden spokes from the old horse drawn carriages, so it has nothing to do with the measurement of the tire. It's roughly equivalent to the distance a vole could jump in the spring in soft ground, and as the numbers get larger, the width gets smaller. Just because.

Finally, all the tire manufacturers make the same tires, but they won't fit in each other's rims, because they are slightly different. And they are all named after the maiden names of the Gemini astronaut's wives.

Got it?

"So I need a set of Shearon 450R mm with a width of 23.6 voleleaps in the Ford pattern?

"Yes, exactly."

"OK, I'll take a set of four."

"Sorry, we're out. Political pressure for reduction in traffic caused hoarding. But I got a buddy that will sell you a set for $1399 per tire..."

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    That's what the clerk in our Academy told my brother as well!
    Cases of 12 ga but only 7-1/2's & 8's. We wanted 6's. One box per customer.
    Not the first time a dingle berry in a Big Box store gave me some "super intelligent" information like that. LOL!
    A "BIG" bunch of those guys have NO idea WHAT they are selling!

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    P.S. per a store clerk, Academy was out of .308 Win ammo. However, they did have some ammo for a 7.62×51.
    That's what the clerk in our Academy told my brother as well!
    Cases of 12 ga but only 7-1/2's & 8's. We wanted 6's. One box per customer.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Dewman, you make some good points. New gun owners have been behind the eight-ball when it comes to ammo.
    Speaking of.....
    When I was in Academy yesterday, a guy was trying to talk to the meathead behind the gun counter about shotgun choke.
    He wanted a shotgun to shoot 00 buck, but was afraid forcing buckshot out of a full choke "may" damage the barrel!
    Huh?
    Meathead was not helping.
    I finally spoke up.
    The orientation of the buckshot in the shell stays the same until the buckshot exits the barrel.
    He was concerned about the buckshot pellets passing each other in their mad rush to leave the barrel....I guess!?

There weren't but 2 or 3 boxes of 12 gauge ammo on the shelf.
    All of it #6 or #7 1/2 shot.

P.S. per a store clerk, Academy was out of .308 Win ammo. However, they did have some ammo for a 7.62×51.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Great thread guys.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Dewman, you make some good points. New gun owners have been behind the eight-ball when it comes to ammo.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    PH: true but is stockpiling gas reasonable? Is staying home from work till gas prices come down reasonable? So, ammo/gas not really relevant. But. On another take. How did new gun owners have any idea when they bought their first gun ammo for it would be hard to get when the media has said we are swimming in bullets? Why are people hoarding what they have no use for? Because the Internet told them the apocalypse is here and bullets are the new gold. The way the government is printing money and handing out by the barrel makes that point seem valid, right? Scared urbanites make irrational choices. Fear of the unknown does that. Can't blame them, but also you sure as hell cant call it "free market" when it's driven by fear.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    Comparing gasoline,which IS regulated with gougers being monitored and prosecuted to ammo/components is apples to shoes.
    True, but I was trying to make a point. I was prepared even before 2020 and could afford to wait for items to show at Midway this year, at reasonable costs. But their suppliers raised prices on some items, so they had to pass on the increase. For those items I wanted, another 15% seemed reasonable and not price gouging. That's the original theme of this thread.

IF out of ammo and I wanted to hunt with my favorite rifle, then even $4 or $5 per round wouldn't be too much compared to all the other costs to be in the woods.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Comparing gasoline,which IS regulated with gougers being monitored and prosecuted to ammo/components is apples to shoes.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    I'll pay more if it's something I really want or need now. That's as long as it's what I think is reasonable.

Which one of you refused to buy gasoline for your vehicle when it was $4 per gallon? I bet you would continue to buy gasoline even if it went to $10 / gal. Sure, you might drive less but how's that different from shooting less?

Can't take it with you and might as well have fun while you can.
    Sure I've paid over $4/gal for fuel. But I wasn't happy about it. Problem was pighunter, there was no alternative. If ANY station was 2 or 3 cents cheaper, they sold out first.

I'm about 3 turns tighter than tree bark. Why would I pay some shyster forty to sixty bucks on line for something I can get at a store for twenty?
    If the store don't got it, I'll just do without 'til they get more in.

Kinda like yesterday. I asked the lady for .308 ammo. She was out, but she had 7.62×51 ammo! LOL!

Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-25-2021, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget