Price gouging or free market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    P.S. per a store clerk, Academy was out of .308 Win ammo. However, they did have some ammo for a 7.62×51.
    That's what the clerk in our Academy told my brother as well!
    Cases of 12 ga but only 7-1/2's & 8's. We wanted 6's. One box per customer.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      That's what the clerk in our Academy told my brother as well!
      Cases of 12 ga but only 7-1/2's & 8's. We wanted 6's. One box per customer.
      Not the first time a dingle berry in a Big Box store gave me some "super intelligent" information like that. LOL!
      A "BIG" bunch of those guys have NO idea WHAT they are selling!

Comment

Just bustin' balls mostly, but who are the real dingle berries? The guys trying to keep track of all the messed up monikers in the firearm world or they that named them?

"Wait, so a 38 uses the same bullet as a .357?"
        "What's the difference between a 7mm Express and a .280?"
        "Ok, so a 45-70 uses a 45 call bullet and originally had 70 grains of black powder...so that explains the caliber and powder charge for the 38-40, right?"
        "By the way, what's a 'grain'?"
        "Hmm...35 Whelen...was there a Colonel Zipper too?"

Imagine buying tires in the firearms world:

​​​​​You have 18" rims, so you're going to need to look for 16.7 inch tires, unless your European. Then look for 450 mm tires, because 16.7" is 424.2 mm. Oh, and the tire sizes are the same, but the Euro tires that have an "R" at the end will blow up an older car because they operate at a higher air pressure. OK.

The width of the tire is an based on the hardness of the wooden spokes from the old horse drawn carriages, so it has nothing to do with the measurement of the tire. It's roughly equivalent to the distance a vole could jump in the spring in soft ground, and as the numbers get larger, the width gets smaller. Just because.

Finally, all the tire manufacturers make the same tires, but they won't fit in each other's rims, because they are slightly different. And they are all named after the maiden names of the Gemini astronaut's wives.

Got it?

"So I need a set of Shearon 450R mm with a width of 23.6 voleleaps in the Ford pattern?

"Yes, exactly."

"OK, I'll take a set of four."

"Sorry, we're out. Political pressure for reduction in traffic caused hoarding. But I got a buddy that will sell you a set for $1399 per tire..."

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
          Just bustin' balls mostly, but who are the real dingle berries? The guys trying to keep track of all the messed up monikers in the firearm world or they that named them?

"Wait, so a 38 uses the same bullet as a .357?"
          "What's the difference between a 7mm Express and a .280?"
          "Ok, so a 45-70 uses a 45 call bullet and originally had 70 grains of black powder...so that explains the caliber and powder charge for the 38-40, right?"
          "By the way, what's a 'grain'?"
          "Hmm...35 Whelen...was there a Colonel Zipper too?"

Imagine buying tires in the firearms world:

​​​​​You have 18" rims, so you're going to need to look for 16.7 inch tires, unless your European. Then look for 450 mm tires, because 16.7" is 424.2 mm. Oh, and the tire sizes are the same, but the Euro tires that have an "R" at the end will blow up an older car because they operate at a higher air pressure. OK.

The width of the tire is an based on the hardness of the wooden spokes from the old horse drawn carriages, so it has nothing to do with the measurement of the tire. It's roughly equivalent to the distance a vole could jump in the spring in soft ground, and as the numbers get larger, the width gets smaller. Just because.

Finally, all the tire manufacturers make the same tires, but they won't fit in each other's rims, because they are slightly different. And they are all named after the maiden names of the Gemini astronaut's wives.

Got it?

"So I need a set of Shearon 450R mm with a width of 23.6 voleleaps in the Ford pattern?

"Yes, exactly."

"OK, I'll take a set of four."

"Sorry, we're out. Political pressure for reduction in traffic caused hoarding. But I got a buddy that will sell you a set for $1399 per tire..."
          LMBO!!!!
          That's good amflyer!

The clerk was also quite certain that the 5.56mm ammo was NOT .223 Rem ammo.
          Perhaps it should be .223 voleleaps?

I'm all about standardizing caliber designations, but that takes all the fun out of Hornets, Zippers, Swifts, Robert's, Gov't, Improved, etc, etc.......

O're well!

Comment

But to be period correct you'll need those 450R x 23.6's with whitewalls, they're for a classic after all.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              But to be period correct you'll need those 450R x 23.6's with whitewalls, they're for a classic after all.
              Yes, this is true!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                Raised white letters?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Raised white letters?
                  Only for souped up rigs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget