Price gouging or free market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

redangus wrote:

"... The last guy you mention is merely capitalizing on the failure of retail outlets to properly respond to the market. ..."

If I buy a box of ammo at Academy for $21.99 and some random dude says, "I'll pay you $40 for that box of ammo.".
    That's "free market"

If I buy a box of ammo at Academy for $21.99 and and immediately list it on ebay or gunbroker for $50/$60, THAT'S price gouging.

Scenario One: the buyer makes an offer
    Scenario Two: the seller "demands" a price

Comment

That's the key, you have to think big picture and look forward. Simple cost analysis. My brick of lrp was <$60 in November. I'm not expecting to find them for that anymore.

Brass is my hangup. You can figure the exact expense for everything else because it's once and done, brass is harder for me to calculate.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

The last few 500 round bricks of 22lr I bought cost me $50/brick. The last case of large rifle primers I bought 6-7 months ago cost $45+ tax. This afternoon I bought a case of Federal gold medal match small rifle primers for $300.

30 cents per primer hurts the wallet, but even with the current cost of components I can load/reload Barnes ttsx for my AR for the same $ per round as I could buy brass cased fmj.
        Are all primers in the $300 range ? How much do bricks of .22lr bring ?

Remember when there was a .22lr shortage several years ago? Guys used to find out when WalMart would get their ammo delivery and camp out to be first in line. Then take what they got and double their money on them. WalMart and others eventually put a limit on ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          That's the key, you have to think big picture and look forward. Simple cost analysis. My brick of lrp was <$60 in November. I'm not expecting to find them for that anymore.

Brass is my hangup. You can figure the exact expense for everything else because it's once and done, brass is harder for me to calculate.
          Figure 6 or 7 reloads using regular loads. Less if you hot rod the load. One indication of how they will stand up in your chamber is measure the maximum diameter just ahead of the base and compare that to a new factory case. More than .002" and the case life will be shorter. Yes, neck sizing does allow the brass to last longer but watch the case by the bottom for thinning as brass still flows toward the mouth. You also have to check case length and trim when it goes beyond max length allowed. IF you trim frequently, remember that brass is thinning the case by the bottom.All the considerations I have mentioned is why I keep my brass by lot and record: times fired, times trimmed. I use a batch numbering system like for today I would use 21-01, 21-02, etc. jim
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-25-2021, 12:06 AM.

Comment

In 30 years I've never loaded rifle brass enough to reach end of use. Instead, I load in large batches and shoot sparingly. Mine are for hunting and not for target shooting. Also, I trim the cases every time and stay away from max loads.

At almost 62 years old I'm probably not going to start shooting centerfire competitively and only have a couple of decades left. Once load development is complete, I will only fire at game or to check zero. I use five different rifles for deer and pigs so 100 rounds each can easily last me a decade or two. Brass life is the least of my concerns.

Comment

Price gouging or free market, I won’t pay more than retail for any components or ammo. I have had enough foresight to stay ahead of the curve. I also keep 2 seasons worth of waterfowl shotshells ahead by taking advantage of end of season sales and rebates. Those may be non—existent this year, but I had a dismal goose season and shot darn few shells. So I’m good to go for next year with no purchasing. Coyotes may be in trouble since I loaded up a couple dozen Barnes MPG varmint bullets for my .308W. Happy Trails

Comment

"... Price gouging or free market, I won’t pay more than retail for any components or ammo. ..."

Amen WAM!!!
                If more folks felt that way, these price gougers would soon fold up and go home.
                It would do my heart good to know they were having to eat their stash at a loss.

Bunch of damned buzzards!

Comment

I'll pay more if it's something I really want or need now. That's as long as it's what I think is reasonable.

Which one of you refused to buy gasoline for your vehicle when it was $4 per gallon? I bet you would continue to buy gasoline even if it went to $10 / gal. Sure, you might drive less but how's that different from shooting less?

Can't take it with you and might as well have fun while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    I'll pay more if it's something I really want or need now. That's as long as it's what I think is reasonable.

Which one of you refused to buy gasoline for your vehicle when it was $4 per gallon? I bet you would continue to buy gasoline even if it went to $10 / gal. Sure, you might drive less but how's that different from shooting less?

Can't take it with you and might as well have fun while you can.
                    Sure I've paid over $4/gal for fuel. But I wasn't happy about it. Problem was pighunter, there was no alternative. If ANY station was 2 or 3 cents cheaper, they sold out first.

I'm about 3 turns tighter than tree bark. Why would I pay some shyster forty to sixty bucks on line for something I can get at a store for twenty?
                    If the store don't got it, I'll just do without 'til they get more in.

Kinda like yesterday. I asked the lady for .308 ammo. She was out, but she had 7.62×51 ammo! LOL!

Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-25-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Comparing gasoline,which IS regulated with gougers being monitored and prosecuted to ammo/components is apples to shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                        Comparing gasoline,which IS regulated with gougers being monitored and prosecuted to ammo/components is apples to shoes.
                        True, but I was trying to make a point. I was prepared even before 2020 and could afford to wait for items to show at Midway this year, at reasonable costs. But their suppliers raised prices on some items, so they had to pass on the increase. For those items I wanted, another 15% seemed reasonable and not price gouging. That's the original theme of this thread.

IF out of ammo and I wanted to hunt with my favorite rifle, then even $4 or $5 per round wouldn't be too much compared to all the other costs to be in the woods.

Comment

PH: true but is stockpiling gas reasonable? Is staying home from work till gas prices come down reasonable? So, ammo/gas not really relevant. But. On another take. How did new gun owners have any idea when they bought their first gun ammo for it would be hard to get when the media has said we are swimming in bullets? Why are people hoarding what they have no use for? Because the Internet told them the apocalypse is here and bullets are the new gold. The way the government is printing money and handing out by the barrel makes that point seem valid, right? Scared urbanites make irrational choices. Fear of the unknown does that. Can't blame them, but also you sure as hell cant call it "free market" when it's driven by fear.

Comment

Dewman, you make some good points. New gun owners have been behind the eight-ball when it comes to ammo.

Comment

Great thread guys.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                                Dewman, you make some good points. New gun owners have been behind the eight-ball when it comes to ammo.
                                Speaking of.....
                                When I was in Academy yesterday, a guy was trying to talk to the meathead behind the gun counter about shotgun choke.
                                He wanted a shotgun to shoot 00 buck, but was afraid forcing buckshot out of a full choke "may" damage the barrel!
                                Huh?
                                Meathead was not helping.
                                I finally spoke up.
                                The orientation of the buckshot in the shell stays the same until the buckshot exits the barrel.
                                He was concerned about the buckshot pellets passing each other in their mad rush to leave the barrel....I guess!?

There weren't but 2 or 3 boxes of 12 gauge ammo on the shelf.
                                All of it #6 or #7 1/2 shot.

P.S. per a store clerk, Academy was out of .308 Win ammo. However, they did have some ammo for a 7.62×51.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget