Is There a Drone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There a Drone

Do you use a drone as part of your outdoor activities ?

No and haven't seen any yet but I have heard guys talking about using them. There's definitely an interest in using them but I don't think they have figured out exactly how they would yet. Not talking scouting, I mean while actually hunting.

Comment

I like the idea of using them for photography but I'm not interested enough to pursue it. My wife and I have been kicking the idea around of buying a quality camera set up but we just aren't in the habit of buying things we won't use much, especially if depreciation is a major possibility. A drone would probably be one of those toys that gets played with for a short while then get sold at a garage sale.

Comment

I got one as a 2019 Christmas present and had it out of the box twice. Perhaps one day I'll learn how to use it. But not for hunting.

Comment

They are just another means of technology, they will be allowed in hunting in the near future. Politicians will accept lobbying money from manufacturers and will pass the needed legislation in order to take ‘hunting’ out of hunting ! Anything to make success easier, can’t have anything on a one to one basis, now can we ? Drones could be very interesting and enjoyable........in their own place !

Comment

I'd like to have a drone to map the area I'm hunting.
            i think they're "neato, far out and groovy".
            Just not a purchase I care to make for something I won't use that often.
            You gotta be careful with that "techno" stuff.
            You can walk out the door with the most modern, updated version of a "Whazit" there is. A week later, it's outdated junk.

I've got a Apple tablet. It has a bunch of pictures I want off of it, but the WalMart picture kiosk doesn't recognize it.
            I can charge it and look at the pictures, but that's it.

Comment

A8781D05-C940-47D0-A633-2FED34F89E83.jpeg 6C22D2C3-D60F-4D06-90AC-8FE0BD52F9DA.jpeg

My father-in-law has a drone that I've flown over my place with a few times.
              IMO drones are much more useful for crop scouting than scouting for hunting.

98BC02C8-8C48-4A49-A859-005FD16F688D.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                A8781D05-C940-47D0-A633-2FED34F89E83.jpeg 6C22D2C3-D60F-4D06-90AC-8FE0BD52F9DA.jpeg

My father-in-law has a drone that I've flown over my place with a few times.
                IMO drones are much more useful for crop scouting than scouting for hunting.

98BC02C8-8C48-4A49-A859-005FD16F688D.jpeg
                How high were you ? Did you spot any game ? I understand the drone's are very quiet.
                I have heard some farms can monitor soil moisture and chemicals with drones.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

How high were you ? Did you spot any game ? I understand the drone's are very quiet.
                  I have heard some farms can monitor soil moisture and chemicals with drones.
                  I don't recall exact height for each shot, but to the best of my recollection the first picture was at about 150', the 2nd at almost 400', and the 3rd at about 100'.

I have flown over deer and they don't like the sound of the drone. It is a DJI Phantom 4 and can be heard from a considerable distance if background noise is minimal.

There are cameras and computer programs that can be used to determine plant health, nutrient uptake and deficiencies, and plant population.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    I like the idea of using them for photography but I'm not interested enough to pursue it. My wife and I have been kicking the idea around of buying a quality camera set up but we just aren't in the habit of buying things we won't use much, especially if depreciation is a major possibility. A drone would probably be one of those toys that gets played with for a short while then get sold at a garage sale.
                    I have opinions about photo equipment, and some experience, if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

I have opinions about photo equipment, and some experience, if you are interested.
                      "opinions"? LOL!

Anymore, cell phones have about as good a camera as you can get without all the fancy lens.
                      I had a small Kodak "Z500" camera (about $250 at Wal Mart) that took both video and stills. No long range focus but did an "ok🤔" job for an amateur like me.
                      I'm just so hard on photo equipment I hate to spend the big bucks on "REALLY" good gear.
                      Hauling a nice camera around in a turkey vest ain't good for it. It adds to the equipment load and does me no good sitting in the truck when a bull gobbler is strutting in the sunshine!
                      "Hold that pose buddy! I gotta go get my camera!" LOL!

Comment

Good drone flight over Lake Erie. Quality video. I don't think the ice is thick enough yet. Maybe it will be after this cold snap.

Day 6 Lake Erie Freeze 2 11 2021 - YouTube

Comment

Most of what you wrote, F-Bubba, I don't really have any qualms with. But you can't take pictures like this with a cell phone. 🙂

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                            Most of what you wrote, F-Bubba, I don't really have any qualms with. But you can't take pictures like this with a cell phone. 🙂
                            No sir, you certainly can't amflyer.
                            I've taken some pretty neat photos with a cell phone.
                            100E0884.JPGThis iisn't cell phone photo.
                            100_0837.JPG ...nor this one.

I offered these to a wildlife photo provider.
                            They were "too plain" for their taste!

Comment

Very nice photos. Especially the one of the Tom in profile. I was so presumptuous as to tweak the photo a bit. Sometimes digital photos need a little adjustment. If you object, I'll un-post forthwith.

As to selling photos? Who knows what they want. I do photography for myself and a few friends. More fun that way.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Christmas present "trade"?
                                by dewman
                                You fellas remember I posted pics a ways back where I redid my 511-x .22? Well my son called me soon after and asked me to put it up and not shoot it...
                                Yesterday, 02:48 PM
                              • Finally filled that elk tag!
                                by Ernie
                                Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
                                11-30-2021, 01:05 PM
                              • Leupold screwed me
                                by dewman
                                had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
                              • The TGIF Buck
                                by fitch270
                                First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                              • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                11-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X