Retirement?tod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement?tod

This winter is turning out to be a real grind at work, I'm at the age where I don't know how many more like this I have in me physically or mentally. I kind of fell into what I do 25 years ago this May, I'll have been with my current employer 19 this fall. Five more gets me to 30 total, six makes it 25 with my bosses. Great outfit to work for. Kids should be out of college in six as well, that would be the summer before I turn 60. Not that I'll completely quit working, just not doing what I do now. At least not full time.

My wife is a fair bit younger than I with a good state job. She'll be eligible to retire at 55, I'll be 68. We're in good shape but I'm not sure how comfortable I'll feel goofing off while she's working still. We knew it would happen but 20 years ago it was a long way off, now not so much. At least from my perspective. We've been taking care of estate planning as well. I'm starting to feel like I need a goal to reach, something to keep me pushing for.

I understand well that sometimes life decides things for us but I try to be a plan for tomorrow, live for today kind of guy as much as possible.

How 'bout you? Did you have an end game planned or did you wake up one day and think to heck with it, I'm done?

My health made the decision for me.

Comment

I had no plans to retire at the time, but conditions at my job as a carpenter changed with the company's changes in people who retired, or left for other jobs. Newly hired kids with book smarts got jobs as project manager. The site superintendents dealt mostly, but one athole who also held the position of general manager made my life miserable. It took all the fun out of building things or being part of a great company. Tell widdem. I won't be bullied by some desk jockey who puts company laborers to work putting up his Christmas lights.

Comment

As a taxidermist I loved my work, looked forward to it every day. It was not the work or the job that made me retire, it was a marital issue. Although I must admit, once I quit, it was rather a relief. There was considerable pressure in my work, even though I was self employed. The attention to detail, the concentration needed, the demand to do needed office work outside of the taxidermy itself, it all added up, and when it all added up to the point that I noticed it, I was done. Although I will admit that after a few months, I was wondering if I had made a too hasty decision. I still sometimes miss the work.......just not all that went with it, if that makes sense !!
        Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 02-04-2021, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Dewman; That’s a possibility I try to keep in mind, not just for myself but also if something happened with my wife. Things can change in an instant.

Franchi20; I know a guy who worked for a large local outfit about 40 years. Did well, got to be that age but hadn’t had a raise in a few years, new hire in his 20’s started out just a couple bucks an hour less. Done.

Rich; My guy is in his late 60’s and is looking to get out but has a large customer base and no one he’s comfortable recommending. He stopped taking on new clients this year.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            This winter is turning out to be a real grind at work, I'm at the age where I don't know how many more like this I have in me physically or mentally. I kind of fell into what I do 25 years ago this May, I'll have been with my current employer 19 this fall. Five more gets me to 30 total, six makes it 25 with my bosses. Great outfit to work for. Kids should be out of college in six as well, that would be the summer before I turn 60. Not that I'll completely quit working, just not doing what I do now. At least not full time.

My wife is a fair bit younger than I with a good state job. She'll be eligible to retire at 55, I'll be 68. We're in good shape but I'm not sure how comfortable I'll feel goofing off while she's working still. We knew it would happen but 20 years ago it was a long way off, now not so much. At least from my perspective. We've been taking care of estate planning as well. I'm starting to feel like I need a goal to reach, something to keep me pushing for.

I understand well that sometimes life decides things for us but I try to be a plan for tomorrow, live for today kind of guy as much as possible.

How 'bout you? Did you have an end game planned or did you wake up one day and think to heck with it, I'm done?
            My Father was a big gambler and was able to retire very young. However, after working long hours a day for years he then found all his friends were still working. So, he got a job driving a school bus. Not any bus, he drove the one for the handicapped kids. He liked them and they liked him. He used to help them on and off the bus.
            I got myself in a position I was able to retire young. I found other things to do and other interests to keep moving. Started a business among other things. I would say what ever you do keep moving, in the figurative sense. Stagnate and all kinds of bad things can happen.

Comment

My dad (life long smoker) had a heart attack. Not a quad bypass affair, but then NO heart attack is "minor"
              He had just turned 60 and had over 40 years seniority.
              He had always stated, "When I retire, I'm gonna wet a hook in every lake in Texas!"
              So I asked him, "Pop, why don't you just retire?"
              If he retired at 60, the company paid 25% of his insurance, he paid 75%.
              If he retired at 61, the company would pay the 75%.
              He turned 61 on Aug 1.
              He had a fatal coronary event in June. Two months shy of retirement!
              I promised to myself right then, first opportunity I get, I'm retiring!
              After a major car wreck, I worked another 10+ years, but the injuries eventually took their toll.
              In '02, we sold our home in Texas and moved to Oklahoma and I started on our current home.
              In '05, as the pain got worse, I filed for disability....and got it!
              So, I retired at 54, but not really under my own terms.
              That's been 16 years ago.
              May not have been the best move financially, but I do not regret it.

I will encourage each and every one of you, retire the first chance you get.
              Enjoy life while you still can.

Comment

Take the "Stagnate and all kinds of bad things can happen." That Jhjimbo ends his comment with as gospel. If you sit on your ass feeling sorry for yourself trust me God will give you a taste of what real misery is. Life is too valuable to spend all of it staring out the window. But as always, stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  Take the "Stagnate and all kinds of bad things can happen." That Jhjimbo ends his comment with as gospel. If you sit on your ass feeling sorry for yourself trust me God will give you a taste of what real misery is. Life is too valuable to spend all of it staring out the window. But as always, stay safe.
                  Worked with a guy who finally reached retirement age. At his retirement party, he was asked what his plans were.
                  "I'm going to sit on my front porch in my rocking chair and wave at everybody that drives by."
                  That's exactly what Leo did.
                  Six months after retirement, Leo was dead.

It doesn't matter WHAT you do after retiring, just do SOMETHING.

Comment

I'm approaching 62 and hope to keep working full time until 70 and maybe part time until 75... Lord willing and the Creek don't rise... My backup plan is full time to 67, part time until 70.

As an electrical engineer, I'm at a keyboard and pushing a mouse most of the time and have been working from home for two years. It's not hard on my body. Every so often I'm required to work maintenance outages at papermills and that's 12 to 14 hour days for up to a couple of weeks. There are many dangers in a papermill as well as a lot of walking. So that may affect my decision to keep doing this kind of work.

The main reason to keep working is to have more money for the long haul. My dad is 87 and still in fair health, my grandfather on his side lived to 93, and my great grandfather to 99. So, we could need funds for 20 years or more. Our saving is currently at a high level and we'll get lots of equity from our home when we eventually sell. I plan to downsize and lease after retirement.

PigHuntress is 4 years older and I had her stop working 11 years ago. As expected, her health is in decline like most in their mid 60's. Her dad died at 67 and her mom at 72. Most likely I'll be facing a good part of my remaining years alone... That's if I don't die today paddling my canoe and dragging a large animal through the woods. I'm going to leave within the hour and will hunt till dark...
                    Last edited by PigHunter; 02-05-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I admire your work ethic and desire to be (more?) fiscally solvent, but pighunter...until you're 70?
                      C'mon man! We don't know when the "whistle will blow"!
                      Take your remaining time with the missus and enjoy life....and living...and hunting...and fishing...AND singing! LOL!

I guess I'm more aware since I'm already 70. If I didn't have all the bone injuries, I probably wouldn't be so skeptical. They really put a crimp in my "style"! LOL!

My maternal grandparents. My grampa died in 1932 of some unforeseen malady. A young man. My grandmother lived into her late 80's.
                      My paternal grandparents. My grampa, a smoker and WWI vet died at 83. My grandmother turned 100 on January 1st and passed away in February.
                      My dad died at 60, my mom at 98.

I think about the story I heard about the guy who retired at 65.
                      He immediately found another job and worked there until he retired with 20 years service.
                      He found a third job and at 90+ years of age, was still working. He and his wife were both very active and alive at the airing of the show.
                      The reporter asked their children if they thought their diet was a contributing factor in their longevity.
                      They laughed and said, "I don't know, but there was a lot of soups and stews!" LOL!

pighunter, it sounds as if you're doing just fine.
                      You do what you think you need/want to do.

Comment

The “keep on keeping on” approach is a given, one I expect to follow through with. Thing is I’m accustom to operating at a certain level and find myself coming up short of personal expectations. Not a huge thing in and of itself but it’s starting to affect my free time and that’s harder to accept. Just looking to strike a balance I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          The “keep on keeping on” approach is a given, one I expect to follow through with. Thing is I’m accustom to operating at a certain level and find myself coming up short of personal expectations. Not a huge thing in and of itself but it’s starting to affect my free time and that’s harder to accept. Just looking to strike a balance I suppose.
                          I think I worked harder AFTER I retired than before! LOL!
                          You'll be surprised at the "things" you wanted and wanted to do that now you have the time, you can do for yourself.

Comment

My old friend from high school and college roommate called yesterday. He retired in December after turning 62. Now I'm seriously thinking 67 will be my time.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              My old friend from high school and college roommate called yesterday. He retired in December after turning 62. Now I'm seriously thinking 67 will be my time.
                              I love you pighunter! LOL!
                              Keep thinking mi amigo!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                                by dewman
                                All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                                03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                              • Ammunition vs. components.
                                by Red Angus
                                Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                                03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                              • Deer population
                                by Red Angus
                                Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                                03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                              • Nice find poochie!
                                by FirstBubba
                                The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                                THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                                02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                              • 6.8 Western
                                by jhjimbo
                                Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                                02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X