Plans this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans this weekend?

Tomorrow is meat grinding day with the in-laws, we have about 60 lbs of venison that we'll mix with either beef fat or bacon for burger meat, or pork for sausage. Depending on percentages we'll probably end up with 72-75 lbs of ground product for ourselves and at least that for the in-laws. Trying a couple new sausage mixes this year so fingers crossed they turn out well.

Other than that I'm working on brass prep, getting close to actually loading but I want as many like branded cases as possible ready so when I start picking loads I'll have the same type cases ready to go. The weather looks chilly over the next week with highs near freezing and lows in the teens, I don't want to risk freezing my chronograph so there won't be any shooting until we catch a thaw anyway.

We have our league match Sunday, thankfully there's heat for that endeavour.

What's up on your end?

Nothing this weekend. Just taking a break from actual hunting/shooting/fishing . Making a list of projects and parts to order. Getting some "Coke" grips for the 357from Altamont. Sending the bolt from my Rem 7-08 to LRI for high helical fluting(patternA). Not in the mood to pay for high polish jeweling when it will just get rubbed back off. Got some screws needing blue loctite. Might send my 44 into Fords for a reblue. I go back and forth. Thinking about rebluing the 511-x myself. (Cold blue)Everything fishing is ready to go. I mix my burger as I prepare it as I have mine processed now so no work to be done there.

Comment

When you get that bolt back be sure to post up some pics and your thoughts on how it went.

My in-laws use a bunch of seasonings and freeze pre-pressed patties for convenience. They feel the spices loose some flavor over time after being frozen so they do batches as they get low. The 1/2 hp grinder of theirs goes through meat fast, with 6-7 of us manning a station it doesn’t take long from set up to clean up for the amount of grind that gets done.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        When you get that bolt back be sure to post up some pics and your thoughts on how it went.

My in-laws use a bunch of seasonings and freeze pre-pressed patties for convenience. They feel the spices loose some flavor over time after being frozen so they do batches as they get low. The 1/2 hp grinder of theirs goes through meat fast, with 6-7 of us manning a station it doesn’t take long from set up to clean up for the amount of grind that gets done.
        If you got enough people that actually sounds like a fun time. Beats playing Yahtzee over and over, at least I think so. I will post bolt pics and prices/experience when I get it done. Good luck at your rimfire match. You need to beat the kid as you are representing all us older fellas. Focus Fitch Focus. Kidding of course. Fun and competition don't have to be exclusive. Hoping every time you all post personal bests. Stay safe.

Comment

Always loved grinding meat.
          Especially after Jack C. taught me how to season sausage.
          Cube up the meat, season it and grind and fry a little to check seasoning.
          THAT'S the part I like! LOL!
          I took my old #22 meat grinder and motorized it with a half horse motor. Heavy as heck but works like a champ!

In the past, I always used pork when grinding venison.
          For health reasons these days, I always use beef fat.
          For just hamburger, I don't add any fat.
          For sausage (breakfast or link) I go for a 60/40 venison/beef ratio. A little less fat is a good thang! LOL!

Pork looks cleaner, has little taste and accepts spices very well.
          Beef is yellowish in color, throws a bit of taste itself and takes a little more spice for a good flavor.
          Beef fat also makes the end product cook up darker with a heavier texture than pork.

Back to Jack C.
          I had already botched one batch of sausage when Jack offered more if I would help him slaughter his hog.
          The day of the slaughter, the pig is down and bleeding out when I asked Jack if he had a sausage recipe.
          "Yep!", he said smiling. "Right here!" and tapped his temple with a gnarled forefinger!
          I'm thinking another batch of messed up sausage!
          When I first tested the sausage, I thought, "This is good!"
          By the time Jack got through playing with the spices, it would make you want to slap Jimmy Dean!
          Good stuff, Maynard!
          I finally asked, "Where did you learn to make sausage?"
          At one time, he worked in the "sausage room" of the Armor plant in Fort Worth, TX!!!!
          Yes sir! The man could make sausage!

Jack later told me during the sausage making marathon, he had served in the Navy in WWII and was in the "Turkey Shoot" as a gunner on a ship.
          He told me a kamikaze hit his ship, but didn't explode.
          "I've been a carpenter for many years! That kamikaze pilot was dead in his seat, seven feet from me. He had a bright colored scarf around his neck. I was reaching for it to cut a piece off when an officer shoved a .45 in my face and told me, 'Don't even think about it! You might set that bomb off!'"

Jack was quite a character!
          Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-09-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I had it close, 73 lbs. total. Batch of burger with 10% beef fat, burger with 20% bacon, two small batches of sweet Italian sausage with 25% pork and a final batch of plain grind with 25% pork added.

78E8F2CE-3940-4E74-8812-2E71315ACEB6.jpeg

I wasn’t sure the cooler handles were going to hold carrying it down to the basement.😜

The sausage was from two different store bought mixes, if we like one more than the other we’ll do more of it next year. The in laws have a few homemade recipes but you have to keep a bunch of different spices on hand, for us it’s just easier to go prepackaged.

PigHunter; Best of luck, I think you may be last man standing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Thanks! Sitting on a hillside right now, behind a tree and brush, waiting until dark for a buck or pig to wander along.

That meat looks great!
              Good luck to you PH, hope you go out with a BANG!

Comment

PH,
                Used to be able to sing.
                Haven't for decades, well there was this one time in 2003.........Maiden concert, I was hammered and didn't give a flip.
                Shocked those w me, that I would sing in public (they had no idea) and......... that I did it well.

Anyway, my kids have never heard me,until a couple months ago in the Jeep, playing some Type O Negative.
                Same reaction.

LOL

My oldest does Karaoke. Will belt it out and dance in front of hundreds. Doesn't phase her. But then she's cute and does a good job.
                Youngest is decent too. Middle.........nope. Middle kid takes after their mom LOL, the others....me.

I have thought about going to a vocal coach and working my way back, expand range a bit.

Just for my own enjoyment.

Lower end stuff, like VNV nation and Type O Negative.

Nothing technical, but mellow and not IMHO as g hey as REM

Last edited by CD2; 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Deer season over, yanking cams tomorrow after a coyote sit.

Comment

Spent yesterday replacing light fixtures in kitchen, dining room, living room, and 1 of the bedrooms. Glad I had 2 people helping. Now the wife is talking about the floors. She needs a wintertime hobby.( that has good resale value)

Comment

Happy wife, happy life!

Comment

Type O Negative songs can be a bit off the norm subject wise.... View and language could be offensive to some. I liked the humor

October Rust is their first album of melody, and is like the Beatles meets Black Sabbath. Have spun it hundreds of times. Might want to listen to it on YT.

I like the fake live album Origin of the Feces. 12 minute punk/ metal song about infidelity. Bad language but man do I laugh. Proly need to listen to that one by yourself.

Also like the long, maybe 12 min "World Coming Down" title track.

My preference is for lights off, zero interupption and go start to finish on an album. Usually w some good booze.

Iisten mostly to Type O, Iron Maiden, Mortiis, The Birthday Massacre, and Theatre of Tragedy.

The latter female, solo....had this. Too bad Type O's Peter Steele is dead. He would have been good on it.
                        ​​​But Michelle Darkness ( End of Green ) did OK.

Video sucks azz but the song is cool, even if rather template.

Last edited by CD2; 01-10-2021, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                          Type O Negative songs can be a bit off the norm subject wise.... View and language could be offensive to some. I liked the humor

October Rust is their first album of melody, and is like the Beatles meets Black Sabbath. Have spun it hundreds of times. Might want to listen to it on YT.

I like the fake live album Origin of the Feces. 12 minute punk/ metal song about infidelity. Bad language but man do I laugh. Proly need to listen to that one by yourself.

Also like the long, maybe 12 min "World Coming Down" title track.

My preference is for lights off, zero interupption and go start to finish on an album. Usually w some good booze.

Iisten mostly to Type O, Iron Maiden, Mortiis, The Birthday Massacre, and Theatre of Tragedy.

The latter female, solo....had this. Too bad Type O's Peter Steele is dead. He would have been good on it.
                          ​​​But Michelle Darkness ( End of Green ) did OK.

Video sucks azz but the song is cool, even if rather template.

I’d like to know how to post videos like that instead of links, any tips for the techno impaired?

Comment

Go to Youtube and by the thumbs up/thumbs down under the screen there should be a "share". Click that and a small screen will open w icons for various platforms. There will be the link shown below those and to the right "copy". Don't click the icons, just hit "copy"

On this site you will see an A on the upper right of your post making screen. That is for toggle of advanced editor. Click that and a tool bar will pop up and 6th block over you will see a film looking icon. You hit that and paste in your link copied from YT.

Comment

GIFs can be a PITA to post on forums, sometimes takes me a couple of tries before I find the code a certain forum likes (think certain code and to post as a picture).

Free image hosting sites for pics I just get the full BBC code and paste that right into the post.

Im not a techy, just fiddle w stuff til I eventually figure it out.
                              There may be better/faster ways.
                              Last edited by CD2; 01-10-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget