Good hunting stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good hunting stories

I was going to preface this by saying, "Hey, F & S ran an article that didn't list as being the "best" of anything.

Alas, my memory failed me. So, Here are "The Best Campfire Stories You've Never Heard."

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story...e-never-heard/

When I was 14 stalking through the woods deer hunting I found a brand new blaze watchcap. When I picked it up feeling lucky I realized it had been used as toilet paper. I left it. The following year I was again sneaking along maybe at most 500 yds from the previous year and found a brand new pair of blaze camo gloves. Not cotton jerseys, these were nice. Yup, used as butt wipe again. Left them too. I've always wondered if it was the same guy.

Comment

__When I first started hunting, I tried to be very conscientious about what I hunted. There was a pond on the farm and in the fall it was always full of ducks. Mostly Teal and Mallards and an occasional stray goose. Back then, I didn’t hunt with anyone. Henry still figured I was just a “Girl” and he didn’t even consider going hunting with me.
      I had set on the porch most every evening, with the guys, for as long as I could remember. Listened to their stories. Life, work, hunting… etc. Of course, my favorite were the hunting stories.
      One fall evening, Emil looked out across the yard and said, “You know, Cully….(Everyone called my Dad Cully)... I think the Woodcock might be on the rebound. I’ve seen a lot more this fall.”
      Dad agreed and he and Emil, Henry and Charlie all sat looking up at the occasional bird that flew a corkscrew path across the back yard.
      Well, I made up my mind right then that I was going to hunt Woodcock! From listening to their stories, I found that the best places to hunt were old, forest roads in low lying areas. Hardwoods with alder patches nearby.
      I scouted out my hunting areas for days and finally settled for a place where a creek crossed the road. It was at the bottom of a hill on an old logging road, deep in the woods. I had picked out a comfortable stump and my pockets were full of 16’s. I had set here several evenings and saw a lot of birds fly by. I planned on getting my limit.
      So, I sat.
      It was nearly dusk and I was getting worried I would go home empty handed. Down the road came Henry.
      He saw me and walked over to share my stump.
      “Hunting Woodcock?”, he asked. He had his gun and I noticed at least six fat birds hanging from his belt.
      “Yep. I’ve set here a couple evenings now and there are always a lot of birds flying through. Should see some any time now.”
      We sat there quietly, waiting for the birds……… Then, the first flew past on its erratic path. I pulled up and shot, but missed.
      Henry gave me the strangest look. “Is that what you’ve been seeing ?” he asked.
      “Yes, but there will be lots more……. Just wait!”
      Henry stood up and…. I swear he was laughing at me…. “Let’s head for home kid. Those are Bats.”
      I don’t think he told on me but I could be wrong…………………

Comment

When I first started hunting Woodcock, my friend, Henry, showed me where to look for them and shared his technique for knocking them out of the air. It took me a while to hit the first one but then it became a competition between us two.
        One fall morning, I got on the bus for school and took my usual seat in front of Henry. I spun around and asked, “How many??”
        “Six. How many did you get?”
        “Only four… I’ll do better tonight!”
        Suzanne W. always sat behind Henry. I think she was sweet on him. She leaned over the back of his seat.
        “You know what those birds eat, don’t you……? They eat worms!” she said in her most disgusted voice. “Yuk”…….. (Gagging sounds)’……. For effect…. She was good at that.
        “They do not! Anyway…. So what??? Robins eat worms and so do lots of other birds!”
        “Yeah….. but you don’t eat Robins, do you?”
        Hm-m-m-m-m……
        When I got home that afternoon, I asked Dad. “Dad, do Woodcock eat worms?”
        “Yep….. lots of ‘em. Why do you ask?”
        “And we cook ‘em up and eat ‘em?”
        “What?..... Worms???”
        “No, Dad……..Woodcock!!!”
        “Well….. sure. Every things got to eat something. What did you think they ate with that long beak?”
        “I don’t know…….. Guess I never thought about it. Hm-m-m-m-m”
        The next time Suzanne razzed me about eating Woodcock I spun around, looked her dead in the eye and said, “They sure are good Suzanne and did you know, after a while, you can even tell if they have been eating Red worms or Night crawlers! The ones that eat Reds are the best!”
        Henry got all red in the face, trying not to laugh at her reaction.
        Suzannes’ gagging sounds were real this time.

Comment

Little-bit, those are the best stories from a new member that I have ever seen.

Comment

Nice intro Little-bit, hoping there’s more of that to come.

Comment

As is my "forte", little bit, if you don't keep a journal, I encourage you to do so!
              You show superb story telling abilities. Keep it up!
              Everybody here loves a good story, especially of the outdoors.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget