A pair of socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pair of socks

If you have 30 pair of white socks, 22 pair of black socks and 14 pair of gray socks scattered across the floor in the dark, how many would you have to grab to be sure of getting a matching pair?

If this is not a trick question, it would be four !

Comment

BHR - Correct.
      Now, same set of facts.
      What is the fewest number of socks you would have to grab to get a pair of black socks?

Comment

Well, if one was lucky by picking four, he may already have a pair of black socks ! If not, the puzzle could go on for quite some time. I just tried it on my floor and forgot the number of picks before the black pair came up, lol !

Comment

If you have 66 pairs of socks in only the 3 basic colors you need to stop impulse buying when you're in Walmart . Maybe buy some light bulbs so you don't have to search for them in the dark and maybe a dresser to store them.

Comment

Dewman - You are right. I should leave my credit card at home when I visit Walmart.
            I just have this thing about socks.
            And I guess I should also pay my electric bill in timely manner.
            Or get a flashlight.

Comment

BHR - Actually, the fewest number of socks you would have to grab to get a pair of black socks would be two!
              With no luck at all, the most would be 46.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget