How Old Is Bob ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Old Is Bob ?

Alice is 16 years old which makes her twice as old as Bob was, when Alice was as old as Bob is today. How old is Bob ?

I am going to guess eight years of age.

Comment

Sorry 99, you need to try again ! That is how old Bob WAS !!

Comment

That is a tough one.
        I am now going to guess twelve years of age.

Comment

12 years of age is correct. However, since your answer was a ‘guess’, I am afraid that you do not qualify for the ‘good job, well done’ nor the grand prize of the Rolls Royce. Nächte mal, Sie mussen mehr sicher sein !

Comment

You didn't say that Alice and Bob were German.

Comment

Some things just needn’t be stated. However, origin of country would not change the answer to the question, age being the same in any language ! But, I would be interested in how you came up with the correct ‘guess’ !

Comment

BHR - I was joking about the German. I just forgot to put a smiley face at the end.
                As to the guess, rather than work at "deriving" the formula, I tried a guess at a number between the given ages, and the math worked out.

Comment

Can we please go back to the ones like, "When is a door not a door?"

Comment

PH - I come over here to OL to have some fun and to get relief from the rotten mood of the people at F&S.
                    So take your sour puss and snotty remarks and shove it.

Comment

PH, It is possible to work the ‘puzzle’ as 99 did, inserting different numbers until they equal the two ages, but it does take some of the reasoning out of it. Your way was much more to the point, and there is also a graph solution ! But good work !!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                        Let's assume the two have experienced the same passage of time with neither having left Earth on a spaceship. (No Relativistic time difference and rounding to the nearest year)

We can represent that interval in age as:

AlicePresent - AlicePast = BobPresent - BobPast

We know from the text...

AlicePresent = 16 = 2x BobPast, thus BobPast = 8
                        and
                        AlicePast = BobPresent

So let's make some substitutions:

16 - BobPresent = BobPresent - 8

Therefore, 24 = 2x BobPresent so, Bob's present age must be 12.

Aus Schaden wird man klug.
                        Aus Schäden wird man klug =‘s Through damage one becomes smart ! I do not get your connection PH to the inclusion of this in your post ! Bitte, machen Sie es mehr klar !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget