Trivia question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia question.

In the movie "The Longest Day," (this coming Thurs, TCM, 8PM) Peter Lawford plays the part of a British officer in the Normandy invasion.
    What kind of rifle is he carrying?
    Last edited by 99explorer; 06-04-2019, 09:09 PM.

I had no idea so I looked up the movie and the story of the character he portrayed. Quite fascinating. I will leave posting the answer to you 99.
    Last edited by dewman; 06-05-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I really have no idea, but hopefully one that shot damn straight ! But on second thought, maybe it was a Thompson auto, being British. But then again, since you have placed some importance on the question, I guess it might also be an American rifle in 30-06 !

Edit: As a side note from a proud Grandfather, I might add that my Grandson will be at Normandy Beach as the leader of his battalion on D Day, I can only try to imagine his sense of excitement and accomplishment !
      Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 06-05-2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I can only remember John Wayne and being a kid heading to the town movie Theater, with my friends.
        We all liked the movie and the hot buttered popcorn. 🍿

Comment

What bugs me about all the old war movies is the wearing of hats (covers) while indoors, in violation of army regulations.
          The only exception is that covers may be worn indoors if the wearer is "under arms," which explains all the MP's wearing helmets indoors.

Comment

Had to look it up too because I wasn't familiar with that rifle. I've never seen one in person.

Comment

And the answer is...(drum roll)... a Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                And the answer is...(drum roll)... a Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine.
                Chambered in 6.5x54

Comment

I once owned an 1956 model Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle chambered in 7x57mm Mauser that I had custom stocked in New Zealand walnut.
                  Sad to say, it was destroyed in a house fire. Easy come, easy go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget