Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snakes, ticks, vegetation, and the stream fishing - squirrel opener.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakes, ticks, vegetation, and the stream fishing - squirrel opener.

Memorial Day weekend is stream season opener here in Missouri as well as th start of squirrel season. A continuing wet spring has made the woods and creekbank vegetation a jungle of which the Congo would be proud. Never have seen it this thick. In my very brief scouting forays I've come across double digit numbers of copperheads as well as I'm sure over 20 cottonmouths. Spraying down with my favorite known to work bug spray has still got me removing ticks every time. I haven't been toting my little old 9 shot H&R .22 revolver as I now walk with a cane and felt it adequate snake repellant but maybe will reconsider if weather doesn't moderate. Or simply choose to forgo early season, it seems a prudent choice.
    Attached Files

I use a push broom handle for my walking stick (has a metal end that's threaded). I consider it adequate for snakes, both for killing or just getting them out of the way. A standard machette works best for me when blazing trails through brushy undergrowth.

Deet on skin and clothes to keep ticks away works for my area.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      I use a push broom handle for my walking stick (has a metal end that's threaded). I consider it adequate for snakes, both for killing or just getting them out of the way. A standard machette works best for me when blazing trails through brushy undergrowth.

Deet on skin and clothes to keep ticks away works for my area.
      Am finding the ticks in my hair or back of ears, some on my face. The spray I use on my clothes seems to be working fairly well, but not perfect. A machete? Give me a dozen of them and strong backed teenagers swinging em and I may consider it. For the job I'm looking at I'll freely capitulate now. Put the sissy sign on my back and bust me open a michelobe light.

Comment

Dang, with ticks like that I'd give it a break too! It's a smart man that recognizes when it's not worth it. What about fishing from a boat instead?
        Last edited by PigHunter; 05-10-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Ticks like that would make me move out of state. I can't even deal with the relatively few numbers we have here in New York now. Well, I deal with them, but I hate having to.

One way or another, Dewman, you gotta stay healthy -- the Blues are looking good for the Finals!
          Last edited by MattM37; 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I’ve had at least as many as 50 ticks on me in one day. Now I spray with off and put mint oil on my skin. As soon as they hit the pant legs they jump off. That was even during the winter time. Now with spring they get worst with everything else. Best advice is to stay out of the thick brush.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
              by 99explorer
              A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
              They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
              No identification markers...
              08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
            • OU football
              by FirstBubba
              Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
              The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
              08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
            • True romance.
              by 99explorer
              A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
              The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
              08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
            • A question of standing.
              by 99explorer
              A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
              The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
              Could this...
              08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
            • Cashier problem.
              by 99explorer
              You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
              You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
              08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X