Fishing Kayaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Kayaks

I am thinking about investing in a fishing kayak. Anyone have one or could give tips on which is best for the cost and performance ?

Don't do it. Get a solo canoe instead. Canoes are lighter, ride dryer, and can carry more weight. Only downside is more vertical surface above the water to catch the wind. My solo is used for fishing and for overnight river trips as well as for paddling into my favorite swamp to hunt.

Here's mine rigged for fishing with 30lb trolling motor.

Demopolis - Solo Canoe at Runaway Landing.jpg

Comment

Thanks PH. My concern is length, the kayak I am interested in is 10’ and has a raised seat for a little more help in throwing a fly line. What is the length of your canoe and what is the make and beam width ? Looks like a sweet set up !

Comment

IMO a kayak is a lot easier to paddle the a canoe. I have a feild and stream eagle talon. It’s the fishing package. 12ft. I had a smaller 1 and upgraded to this and love it. More sturdier and more room to fish out of. Looking to fly fish you might want to look into one you can stand in.

Comment

Thanks for the reply SL. The one I am looking at is the Pelican, has a 35” beam and is reported to be sturdy for standing. I am sure others have somewhat equal measurements but this rig is a little more financially in my line ! TA, BHR

Comment

My solo is a 14 foot Wenonah constructed of the now discontinued Royalex. It's about 30 inches at the widest point. And it's easy to paddle with a long handled double blade.

But you can't stand in it. For that I use my old 16-foot with wider beam.

By the way, ease of paddling is relative to the conditions and the paddler. A longer boat is easier to keep on track when covering distances on flat water.

https://www.wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=73
            Last edited by PigHunter; 03-16-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I’ve paddle a canoe and compared it to my kayak. A canoe catches more wind and to turn one takes more strokes. Also the currents can be a pain in some situations in a canoe. For two people I would definitely recommend a canoe but for one person a kayak would be my suggestion. Also I see you have a trolling motor, a kayak you really wouldn’t need that unless you wanted a little speed boat.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                Thanks for the reply SL. The one I am looking at is the Pelican, has a 35” beam and is reported to be sturdy for standing. I am sure others have somewhat equal measurements but this rig is a little more financially in my line ! TA, BHR
                My older one was a pelican. I can say it is a little cheaper made but I really had no problems on it considering it was 8ft and the weight limit was only 200lbs. I pushed that weight limit to the way max with fishing gear and me in it. Finally the seal leaks a little. Still use it for my buddies when they want to join. The only problem is it is tight for fishing comfortably out of it.

Comment

My thanks to you both. We still have 4-5” of ice here, so it will be some time for me yet to make a decision. If I have news then, I hope it will be good to pass it on. BHR

Comment

I'm looking into a kayak myself.
                    I found this one at Academy last Friday.
                    I have a 17' Alumacraft but it's too big and bulky for what I have in mind.
                    I want something small and light to work around the rip rap for crappie.
                    Come on tax refund! LOL!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bubba, that is the very same one I am interested in. But I see your price is $150 under here. If you deliver one up here, I’ll buy you a cup of coffee, maybe even throw in a donut !

Comment

Bubba, that is the very same one I am interested in. But I see your price is $150 under here. If you deliver one up here, I’ll buy you a cup of coffee, maybe even throw in a donut !
                        I'll leave in the morning!
                        Should be there by Juvember 34th!

Comment

I guess I should have thrown in two donuts, but I am not getting a tax return so I guess I will just have to wait until Juvember 34th, but damn it, no later or the donut is off the table !

Comment

The trolling motor was for a 6 mile round trip on flat water. Paddling a solo canoe is not difficult when using a double paddle.

EDIT: By the way, I average 3 mph when steadily paddling on flat water. The trolling motor can only get me to 4.5 mph.
                            Last edited by PigHunter; 03-17-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I guess I should have thrown in two donuts, but I am not getting a tax return so I guess I will just have to wait until Juvember 34th, but damn it, no later or the donut is off the table !
                              Well rats, bhr, on the way to the shop to get the headlights rotated and the air changed in the tires, the thermofrockle coupling seized up and the local NAPA store doesn't keep them in stock.
                              Looks like I'll have to wait until after frockle harvest now. Guess it will be sometime in Septoberary, probably about the 37th or 38th.
                              No donuts, but if you can come up with a "real" apple fritter, I might forego the thermofrockle. That would make it Juvember 33rd!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget