Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I have been near two negligent discharges and both were by the vehicle, unloading firearms. Two of my hunting party are first responders and I hear a lot of stories of shooting accidents.

Leave a comment:

• Springerman3
    replied
    PH: it constantly amazes me at how folks don't handle firearms in a safe manner. We usually have at least a couple of incidents every year here in Iowa in the manner you describe. Recently a group was coyote hunting and a member of the group was shot & killed by someone else in the group.
    Always good to hear about folks that are doing the right thing.
    Thanks for posting this !

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Well, part of my concern are the stories I've read where someone was shot at the vehicle when handling the firearms.

Another concern is to make sure my hunting arms are unloaded in the vehicle if I'm checked by the wildlife officer. I wouldn't want him to accuse me of trying to hunt from the road. In fact, it's against the WMA regulations to travel those roads with a loaded hunting arm.

Finally, I use a smaller SUV and the gun case has to be placed pointing front to back behind the seats. I don't want a loaded gun pointing at my or my passenger's backs. Nor would I want a loaded gun pointing at me when grabbing the gun case from the hatchback.

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Preventing something like that is one of my primary concerns. I never carry a loaded long arm in the vehicle and I always use a case to transport to the range or hunting property. I make sure the rifle or shotgun is unloaded before putting it in a case.

This hunting season I'm using unloaded chamber indicators in my semi-autos and removing the bolt completely in the bolt-actions. The break and pump actions are left open and the lever actions are triple checked to make sure the chamber is empty.
    I carry long guns in vehicles with the action closed & hammer/striker dropped on an empty chamber with a loaded magazine. A closed action is a must for me due to the dust & dirt.

Please bear in mind that I am in a rural setting and rarely grace any town with my presence. If I lived in or spent more time in urban areas I would undoubtedly carry firearms in a different condition.
    ​​​

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
    I haven't nor do I, at least to my knowledge, know anyone who has. The only incident that comes to mind is one a couple years ago near Winchester, Kansas in which a middle aged farmer who was known to carry a rifle in his truck was found deceased alongside said pickup. Presumably the rifle discharged where being removed from the vehicle, killing him. There were no witnesses.
    Preventing something like that is one of my primary concerns. I never carry a loaded long arm in the vehicle and I always use a case to transport to the range or hunting property. I make sure the rifle or shotgun is unloaded before putting it in a case.

This hunting season I'm using unloaded chamber indicators in my semi-autos and removing the bolt completely in the bolt-actions. The break and pump actions are left open and the lever actions are triple checked to make sure the chamber is empty.

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    I haven't nor do I, at least to my knowledge, know anyone who has. The only incident that comes to mind is one a couple years ago near Winchester, Kansas in which a middle aged farmer who was known to carry a rifle in his truck was found deceased alongside said pickup. Presumably the rifle discharged where being removed from the vehicle, killing him. There were no witnesses.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    started a topic Fatalities Outdoors

Fatalities Outdoors

So far this season, snowmobiling and ice-fishing each have resulted in more fatalities in New York State than hunting did during the previous deer and turkey seasons. No surprise to us, who know that hunting is statistically much safer than a lot of things people do for recreation. Have you ever known anyone involved in a shooting incident, or had one in your neck of the woods?
    Last edited by MattM37; 02-14-2019, 08:07 PM.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X