Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Trips of your life: What were your best outings / excursions / adventures?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Trips of your life: What were your best outings / excursions / adventures?

and/or any big plans currently in the making?

I posted several over at F&S and won't repeat here so I'll list a few others related to the longer work assignments...

A few years ago, I was on a 6 month assignment to Southern California. My previous visits had only been for one to two weeks at a time. While there on the longer stint, I had most weekends off and most of the time was alone. Hiking in desert was a very different experience for me. I also hiked along trails overlooking the ocean and in the mountains. One day I rented snowshoes and hiked in the Grove Of Giants over 6-feet of packed snow. It was an excellent experience!

Two times I've had multiple month assignments in Savannah. Living on Hilton Head Island, SC was great!

Otherwise, I always try to work in some sightseeing.
    Last edited by PigHunter; 01-30-2019, 04:34 AM.

Comment

As you saw my post on F and S but to throw it out here. My Canada trip in the way future. Liked going salmon fishing and I’m sure more trips to come for them it’s a blast running behind a 20lb fish. For most and all to come would be my Muskie adventures, I hooked into 3 already and got the small one in and the bigger ones spit the hook at me at the last second. So that got me going to really get a lunker. Also gotta love the little trips just around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        I posted several over at F&S and won't repeat here so I'll list a few others related to the longer work assignments...

A few years ago, I was on a 6 month assignment to Southern California. My previous visits had only been for one to two weeks at a time. While there on the longer stint, I had most weekends off and most of the time was alone. Hiking in desert was a very different experience for me. I also hiked along trails overlooking the ocean and in the mountains. One day I rented snowshoes and hiked in the Grove Of Giants over 6-feet of packed snow. It was an excellent experience!

Two times I've had multiple month assignments in Savannah. Living on Hilton Head Island, SC was great!

Otherwise, I always try to work in some sightseeing.
        Regarding the desert hiking, yes, you and I are very different, North and South, but we have in common the eastern type of terrain, and I too found it very interesting when I was in Texas. I wasn't into true desert country, but there were still lizards all over the place. I liked them, but I never did get used to them being practically underfoot.

Comment

In the Majove Desert, Joshua Tree National Park, there's a type of Banded Rock Lizard that I saw. A little further east, almost in Nevada, I saw desert Mule Deer, wild borro, and a Red Racer Snake.

Comment

Matt37, pighunter, Want some real Texas hiking?
            Try "Big Bend Nat'l Park" down near Alpine, Texas.
            Awesome country!
            Caution:
            Collared peccary (javelina), mountain lion, black bear, dog pears, snattle rakes, cacti, excessive heat not to mention the other, nasty little critters "underfoot"! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              Matt37, pighunter, Want some real Texas hiking?
              Try "Big Bend Nat'l Park" down near Alpine, Texas.
              Awesome country!
              Caution:
              Collared peccary (javelina), mountain lion, black bear, dog pears, snattle rakes, cacti, excessive heat not to mention the other, nasty little critters "underfoot"! LOL!
              That is on the bucket list. Frankly, if I won the lottery, I'd happily spend a good ten years just traveling the West. I've been up and down the Eastern U.S. and various parts of Canada but no farther West than the San Antonio-Fredericksburg area.

Comment

I posted my comments regarding this question on F&S at which time I failed to include my trip in 2000 to the Grand Canyon. I was 62 at the time when I back packed to the bottom from Bright Angel trailhead. It was a grueling trip but absolutely fantastic. The trip can be made on mules, but to do it on foot is astounding. Two days down to the Colorado River, one day layover and then the return hike. Have no idea how I forgot about that originally !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Record Baseball Contract
                  99explorer
                  Infielder Manny Machado just signed a ten-year $300 million contract with the San Diego Padres.
                  I don't know how much he would have left after taxes,...
                  Today, 02:16 PM
                • Fatalities Outdoors
                  MattM37
                  So far this season, snowmobiling and ice-fishing each have resulted in more fatalities in New York State than hunting did during the previous deer and...
                  02-14-2019, 07:58 PM
                • Do boycotts work?
                  99explorer
                  Dicks' Sporting Goods decision in 2018 to ban the sales of AR-15-style rifles helped contribute to a 4.5% decline in sales in its hunting business....
                  02-11-2019, 05:15 PM
                • New spring football league.
                  99explorer
                  What are your thoughts on the formation of this new professional football league that plays in the spring of the year?
                  It is called the Alliance...
                  02-10-2019, 02:33 PM
                • Gun Review - Ruger American Rimfire Compact
                  PigHunter
                  Yesterday, I finally made time to go to the range to sight in my new Ruger American Rimfire Compact in .22lr with the Dead Air 'Mask' suppressor. I've...
                  02-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X