What was your first real camp-out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first real camp-out?

Any adventures? Where'd you go, with whom, what'd you take for gear?

My best friend Billy and I used to just throw a blanket down on the ground and use another one to cover up. No ticks around here back then, at least that we ever noticed. Our kit was our pocketknives and whatever cookwear we could smuggle out of our moms' kitchens.

I went with my Aunt and Uncle to a State Park. Tent might have been Army surplus - no floor. We dug a ditch around the tent so the water would flow away.

Comment

Darn Matt, that was so long ago, it really taxes the grey stuff. I must have been about 7-8 years old and with a neighbor kid we set up some kind of a tent in the back yard. I had my trusty BB gun for protection and we had about a 3-4 days supply of marshmallows to ward off starvation. I don’t remember if either one of us ever got any sleep that night, there was much danger as I recall, mostly connected with running out of something to eat !

Comment

First time I camped!?
        Wow! Talk about long ago and far away, but it's indelibly etched in my mind!
        I can still take you to the exact spot, just can't remember exactly what year, 1953 or 1954.
        My grandad, his brother (my great uncle), my dad and a friend they worked with got a deer lease in Leon County, Texas. Cost them $5/gun/year!
        Camp was a military surplus wall tent with military style cots to sleep on. An extra tarp provided a windbreak for an open fire.
        Coffee only on the open fire. Meals came out of a cooler.
        I never cared much for "camping" though I had a few experiences.
        One night on Indian Pond on the Neches River bottom in a "mosquito bar" on a hammock.
        Five different occasions in Colorado deer and elk hunting.
        Experiences as a kid were few and far between. East Texas had too many ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes and copper heads.
        Camping to hunt or fish was one thing.
        Camping merely for the sake of camping? Not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          Darn Matt, that was so long ago, it really taxes the grey stuff. I must have been about 7-8 years old and with a neighbor kid we set up some kind of a tent in the back yard. I had my trusty BB gun for protection and we had about a 3-4 days supply of marshmallows to ward off starvation. I don’t remember if either one of us ever got any sleep that night, there was much danger as I recall, mostly connected with running out of something to eat !
          Yep, sleeping is usually last on the list when kids sleep out.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            First time I camped!?
            I can still take you to the exact spot, just can't remember exactly what year, 1953 or 1954.
            My grandad, his brother (my great uncle), my dad and a friend they worked with got a deer lease in Leon County, Texas. Cost them $5/gun/year!
            Camp was a military surplus wall tent with military style cots to sleep on. An extra tarp provided a windbreak for an open fire.
            One night on Indian Pond on the Neches River bottom in a "mosquito bar" on a hammock.
            Experiences as a kid were few and far between. East Texas had too many ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes and copper heads.
            One time my cousin and I forgot the skillet, which we discovered only after we'd mixed up the pancake batter. We debated heating a flat rock, but the only ones nearby were in the streambed, which we knew could explode in the fire. So, we just drank the batter for breakfast. Without even thinking about it, we'd invented the morning breakfast shake! (Didn't work out so well later in the day, if you know what I mean).

Comment

My first time doing an over night camping was with the 4-H Club camp-out after that was with the B.S.A. I was 9yr/o 1949 in U.S.Army tents, Army Canteen & Mess-Kit. I was 11 for my first jamboree a three day camp-out.

Who Remember A "Brown Bag & Salt Shaker" To do what??

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                First time I camped!?
                A buddy and I decided to "dry camp" once in Colorado.
                A cold can of Spam for supper didn't appeal to me so I heated a rock and warmed the Spam on it!
                Dirt flavored Spam wasn't the answer either, but it was eat it or go hungry! LOL!

Comment

Hah. I was a city kid from a city family. First camping trip was with my new wife and baby as a 21 year old in a tent across from a site containing my in-laws. I remember laying there at night in a relatively crowded state park campground ring waking up to every minor scurrying sound wondering what it was. You'd have thought I was in a lean to in the jungle.

Go forward 10 years from that and I remember going to sleep backpacking where I'd seen one other person other than my wife last a few miles ago while a black bear chewed on a pot or pan 3' outside of my tent. Wasn't mine. Have no idea where he got it. But I listened to the sound of this banging pot getting dragged along the trail for minutes before he walked into our campsite and with a lough WHOOMPH settled down and regaled me with the sounds of teeth on steel for what seemed like hours before I opted to just go to sleep. Figured if it became a problem I'd wake up as the tent tore.
                  Years on from that was my first solo, tentless night.
                  It's a funny progression.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                    My first time doing an over night camping was with the 4-H Club camp-out after that was with the B.S.A. I was 9yr/o 1949 in U.S.Army tents, Army Canteen & Mess-Kit. I was 11 for my first jamboree a three day camp-out.

I was pretty much the same, pighunter.
                    Everything they showed us in BSA, I had already done with my dad or grandpa.
                    I got bored in a hurry.

Comment

A brown bag and a salt shaker? Something to do with popcorn, is my only guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        Hah. I was a city kid from a city family. First camping trip was with my new wife and baby as a 21 year old in a tent across from a site containing my in-laws. I remember laying there at night in a relatively crowded state park campground ring waking up to every minor scurrying sound wondering what it was. You'd have thought I was in a lean to in the jungle.

Go forward 10 years from that and I remember going to sleep backpacking where I'd seen one other person other than my wife last a few miles ago while a black bear chewed on a pot or pan 3' outside of my tent. Wasn't mine. Have no idea where he got it. But I listened to the sound of this banging pot getting dragged along the trail for minutes before he walked into our campsite and with a lough WHOOMPH settled down and regaled me with the sounds of teeth on steel for what seemed like hours before I opted to just go to sleep. Figured if it became a problem I'd wake up as the tent tore.
                        It's like a modern-day Jeremiah Johnson story. He was green as green can be when he stepped off the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

Luckily that movie taught me to bury the hot rocks deep enough. Still haven't found a quiet woman.

A pioneer trapper I certainly aint.

Comment

NO, It was a Newbee game called "nite snip" sprinkle salt on the snipes tail and put it in the bag (NO Such Thing)
                            I stayed in till i was 14teen then Rented out the Farm. and we moved down state to Queens NYC, I finished High School there.

Comment

Okay, sure, I've heard of "sending someone out on a snipe hunt." Never heard about the salt-shaker part.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                              • Aquila ammo test
                                by dewman
                                Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                              • Show and Tell
                                by Amflyer
                                Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                              • College Orientation News
                                by fitch270
                                Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X