Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite way to prepare pheasant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite way to prepare pheasant?

A gamebird deserves more attention than an industrial farm raised chicken. I use an old family recipe from my Grandmother's side. I'd tell you but I'm sworn to secrecy (not joking). So what's your recipe?

I don't try to pull the wool over their eyes...I just tell them, "I'm going to shoot you, and after I do, I will eat you."

I feel that's only fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
      I don't try to pull the wool over their eyes...I just tell them, "I'm going to shoot you, and after I do, I will eat you."

I feel that's only fair.
      Or, soak in milk, dip in flour, dip in beaten raw egg, salt and pepper, dredge in crushed corn flakes. Fry in peanut oil until brown. Eat until stuffed. Put in fridge. Eat next morning cold, giving the pointers a nibble or two. Repeat.

Comment

I feel that's only fair.
        Corn Flakes instead of Panko, that's a neat touch!!

Comment

I feel that's only fair.
          A little kosher salt rubbed on, brush with olive oil and apply fresh ground pepper. Grill for 3 - 5 minutes on each side ( using charcoal ) with mesquite or cherry wood for some smokey flavor.
          I was unaware Bucky that you were capable of acquiring some wild pheasants ?

Comment

I like shooting Pheasant, don't like eating them don't care for dark meat birds, now Grouse is a white meat bird....and good eating too!

Comment

In regards to how to prepare a pheasant, it is most important to shoot one first. I say this because I have not had the good fortune to see a pheasant in this area in over 3 years ! There used to be fine hunting of these birds in southern Michigan in past years and was a great delight to flush a cackling rooster in the fall setting of October ! That is all in the past now and a great hunting experience is now all but forgotten here and leaves a great hole in an old man’s heart ! Farming practices have changed dramatically, no more set aside fields, no more fence rows, no more habitat for nesting. And the growth of yotes in this area has not helped the pheasant situation either ! No need anymore to worry about how to prepare a pheasant when none are available to be cooked, and thst little bit of wisdom does not bring happiness !

Comment

I've only killed and eaten one pheasant in my life, and that one I covered with bacon and roasted. It still came out kind of dry; I was in my early twenties then and not a very experienced cook just yet. Grouse, I hardly ever roast anymore. I slice the breasts into fillets and pan-fry them in olive oil, with just salt and pepper. I'd probably do the same thing with pheasant if one ever shows up in my kitchen again. I like to keep fish and game cooking simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  I like shooting Pheasant, don't like eating them don't care for dark meat birds, now Grouse is a white meat bird....and good eating too!
                  This may not be favorable, but I need to ask ! If you do not eat pheasants that you shoot, just what do you do with them ?? Or to be more to the point, why shoot them?

Comment

The Fun of the shooting sport and I give them away to people who will eat them, They don't go to wast.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                      In regards to how to prepare a pheasant, it is most important to shoot one first. I say this because I have not had the good fortune to see a pheasant in this area in over 3 years ! There used to be fine hunting of these birds in southern Michigan in past years and was a great delight to flush a cackling rooster in the fall setting of October ! That is all in the past now and a great hunting experience is now all but forgotten here and leaves a great hole in an old man’s heart ! Farming practices have changed dramatically, no more set aside fields, no more fence rows, no more habitat for nesting. And the growth of yotes in this area has not helped the pheasant situation either ! No need anymore to worry about how to prepare a pheasant when none are available to be cooked, and thst little bit of wisdom does not bring happiness !
                      I know they have decreased BHR, but many of the Farms in Mid-Michigan it's not uncommon to see a rooster or hear them cackle as you drive by in the morning.

As few as 5.25 years ago when I was exiled from our great state, I saw many Roosters that between Freeland and Midland and Baycity.

If you drive out to the thumb on the way to Cass City and Caro it was pretty common to hens and roosters, and I've actually had to stop my truck to keep from splatting some suicidal hens.

Comment

When I first started hunting in the '50's my buddy and I could go out without a dog and each get a bird. My Mother cooked it but I have no idea how she did it, I just know they were delicious. I have a small number of birds around camp as well as some grouse. They have a tough time of it. I have made some shelters for them out of 4X12's so at least they have a safe place to hide from ground animals and birds.

Comment

That is good to hear Buck, and I have talked with others who report birds in other sections of the state. Hopefully that situation will reoccur in this area, but it better be soon, I am getting towards the end of time !!!

Comment

Tree ??? !

Comment

The state said they were taking steps to build up habitat and to grow the population. I would love get them nearly as populous as in South Dakota, or at least enough so that a guy could spend the day hunting and get a take large enough to feed a small family with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                              • Aquila ammo test
                                by dewman
                                Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                              • Show and Tell
                                by Amflyer
                                Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                              • College Orientation News
                                by fitch270
                                Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X