New - Beech leaf disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New - Beech leaf disease

Report it if you see it. Don't move Beech firewood.

http://ohiodnr.gov/news/post/odnr-urges-ohioans-to-report-beech-leaf-disease?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm _campaign=Feed%3A+OdnrDivisionOfWildlife+%28ODNR+D ivision+of+Wildlife%29

You know, it's been years since the beeches on our property, and in the state woods I hunt, have dropped the amount of mast they did back in the 90s. Most years, practically nothing. I didn't see any mention of decreased mast production in the article, but I imagine that would be a side effect of any sickness. I think I might just take a closer look at the trees next time I'm up there. I really miss those years when the beechnuts covered the ground; it sure made the squirrel and fall turkey hunting more fun.

Comment

There's several areas I hunt that have old beech trees. But I don't think that leaf disease is here.

Comment

Off the topic, but how good is beech firewood? As compared to oak or hickory. I know the wood is difficult to split.

The thing that is killing off most of the beech trees around here is the pine plantation---clear cutting the old hill hardwood and replanting in loblolly pine, which the southern pine beetles gleefully devour about their fourteenth year.
        Respectfully,
        Country road.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
          Off the topic, but how good is beech firewood? As compared to oak or hickory. I know the wood is difficult to split.

The thing that is killing off most of the beech trees around here is the pine plantation---clear cutting the old hill hardwood and replanting in loblolly pine, which the southern pine beetles gleefully devour about their fourteenth year.
          Respectfully,
          Country road.
          Beech is one of my favorite wood and about third in heat value. Not hard to split, you might be thinking of elm as being hard. The trick with elm is to split it frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post

Respectfully,
            Country road.
            Thanks, I must have tried to split a knotty tree. Don't have much elm, frozen or thawed down here. Most of my firewood is water oak and red oak---don't even think about trying to split live oak.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              There's several areas I hunt that have old beech trees. But I don't think that leaf disease is here.
              Glad they have a suspect, I would hate to see the Beech go the way of the Ash or Elm.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                You know, it's been years since the beeches on our property, and in the state woods I hunt, have dropped the amount of mast they did back in the 90s. Most years, practically nothing. I didn't see any mention of decreased mast production in the article, but I imagine that would be a side effect of any sickness. I think I might just take a closer look at the trees next time I'm up there. I really miss those years when the beechnuts covered the ground; it sure made the squirrel and fall turkey hunting more fun.
                Judging by the photo the worms are microscopic but any damage should be visible - if so report it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  I learned after our 75 or so Ash trees had died that some farms in the area saved theirs. They sprayed an insecticide as high as they could reach all around the trunk. I wish I had known that at the time. I lost four beautiful 100 year old trees.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget