F/U on the death of the D.C. Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F/U on the death of the D.C. Eagle

I learned that all Eagles wind up at a Federal repository.

Valor died of WNV after a short illness. All the stops were pulled trying to save it but it was not meant to be. The bird would be shipped to the Federal repository where everything is categorized and organized. He will live on as a part of a Native American decoration as the repository fills over 250 requests for feathers and parts per year. Each request is fully investigated.
    This year one Eaglet fledged from the D.C. nest, 3 from the NEFL nest, 3 from Smokey Mtn. nest and 3 from the Decora Iowa nest. Another Decora nest lost 2 chicks. One from the Iowa nest had a GPS transmitter and gave a location every so many hours. When it fledged it circled the nest area for about 4 days, then made a bee-line flight of 750 miles directly to Ontario Canada. No side trips, direct flight, straight as an arrow. They must have some kind of navigation system. Fascinating bird flying for the Red,White and Blue.
    Hope you don't mind me talking about them.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      Valor died of WNV after a short illness. All the stops were pulled trying to save it but it was not meant to be. The bird would be shipped to the Federal repository where everything is categorized and organized. He will live on as a part of a Native American decoration as the repository fills over 250 requests for feathers and parts per year. Each request is fully investigated.
      This year one Eaglet fledged from the D.C. nest, 3 from the NEFL nest, 3 from Smokey Mtn. nest and 3 from the Decora Iowa nest. Another Decora nest lost 2 chicks. One from the Iowa nest had a GPS transmitter and gave a location every so many hours. When it fledged it circled the nest area for about 4 days, then made a bee-line flight of 750 miles directly to Ontario Canada. No side trips, direct flight, straight as an arrow. They must have some kind of navigation system. Fascinating bird flying for the Red,White and Blue.
      I read somewhere that migratory gamebirds like woodcock are believed to not only have a natural navigation system, they actually identify landmarks like river valleys on their routes. Personally, I think bird and fish migration / navigation is one of the great mysteries of nature. Those birds like ospreys that fly to another CONTINENT to the same wintering or nesting sites every year ... it's just plain astonishing.

Comment

Jimbo, sorry for your lost. Those DC Eagles were part of your family. RIP

Comment

If any consolation, Eagles are becoming pretty common sights here in western Kentucky, I have been seeing 5 or 6 a year , could be I see the same birds twice. I seen my first bird here flying up the Ohio river just south of Louisville,K,y 30 years ago. Then a few years past before I seen another. I seen 4 mature birds at once about 6 years ago a little farther south from Louisville, than the first bird. A friend has pictures where they perch high in a tree over his porch and if your unlucky you get baptized .

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
            If any consolation, Eagles are becoming pretty common sights here in western Kentucky, I have been seeing 5 or 6 a year , could be I see the same birds twice. I seen my first bird here flying up the Ohio river just south of Louisville,K,y 30 years ago. Then a few years past before I seen another. I seen 4 mature birds at once about 6 years ago a little farther south from Louisville, than the first bird. A friend has pictures where they perch high in a tree over his porch and if your unlucky you get baptized .
            Where there is water, there will be Eagles as they really like fish and are good at catching them. All along the Lake Erie shore there are nests of Eagles and other raptors. In the U.S. there are estimated to be 70,000, up from near extinction in the '60's. 30,000 live in Alaska - eatting good on that salmon.
            If you go to eBird you will get the Cornell Univ bird tracking web site. Lower left is map. enter eagle and date range and you can see all the sightings plus click on a sighting and get the date and time plus person who made it. I would think hunters could use this for migratory game birds as well.

Comment

Thanks, I watched the little guy break out of his shell. He was a real character and clever how he stole fish from his big sister. Us old retired guys have time on our hands to watch stuff like their nest. AEF has a video commemorating his life - thousands of people reached out to the rehab center to thank the people that tried to save him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIbzx9IKNY&feature=share

Comment

Valor is the smaller and probably a male and Victory is larger and probably a female. The eagles pant to thermoregulate as a lot of these pictures were taken when it was 90+ deg. At the end they were close to 3' tall, 6 to 7' wings and 10 to 12 lbs. They are called sub-adults when they leave the nest and don't get the white head and tail for 5 years when they mature.
                RIP Valor.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDu9kJK6PJU

Comment

The other sub-adult, Victory, has left the nest to explore the World. The parents Mr. P and TFL will soon leave the area for about a month. Then they will return to this nest for the 5th year (kick any other bird out of it) and begin nestorations and bonding constantly while they work. This is how a nest gets bigger and heavier every year. Sometime in January or February TFL will lay between 1 and 3 eggs and the two will take turns incubating them at 105deg for another month or more.
                  One eagle from the Decorah, Iowa nest had a GPS transmitter and when it fledged it stayed by the nest for about 4 days then made a direct flight to Ontario, Canada - 750 miles, no side trips on the way.

Comment

UPDATE, Mr P and daughter Victory may have not left the nest area. They both were seen by the river with Victory flying and Mr P not far behind. She may be getting additional fishing lessons from Mr. P. Possibly TFL will be returning to the nest soon.
                    The NE Florida nest has seen Romeo in the area waiting for Juliet so they can start working on the nest and bonding, yes lots of bonding. This years chicks will be number 23 and 24 from this nest.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                      by 99explorer
                      A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                      This final shot does...
                      Today, 09:07 PM
                    • Lost in the woods.
                      by 99explorer
                      You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                      One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                      Two Indians...
                      Today, 01:24 PM
                    • Books on a shelf.
                      by 99explorer
                      There are several books on a bookshelf.
                      If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                      Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                    • Mental arithmetic.
                      by 99explorer
                      A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                      The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                      How much does the ball cost?
                      Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                    • The new king.
                      by 99explorer
                      The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                      Now the twins are adults...
                      08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X