Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on how to keep mallards out of a friend's built in swimming pool? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on how to keep mallards out of a friend's built in swimming pool? ?

He said the mallards use his pool as a toilet. ? You can't shoot them because the shot could cause damage. Plus he has nearby neighbors. ??
    I told him let's see what the Outdoor Life users have to say.
    Thank you Guys.

Some Companies that have ponds by their entrance have remote controlled sounds operated by the receptionist that drive the geese and ducks away - temporarily. Boats in the marina use owl's on the swim platform to keep the sea gulls away. I would say if he can get within sling shot range try shooting at them with frozen balls of water to scare them away. Also, maybe some floating kids toys that look like animals.

Comment

Alligator inflatable pool animal seems to work for a lot of folks. I like JHJIMBO.s sling shot approach. Might try a bow with a fish arrow.

Comment

I sent my friend Rockhound's comment and he went out today to buy this monster duck
        Attached Files

Comment

Crossman 760.

Comment

If you can get hold of a REAL alligator...…..

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
              Now that would make swimming real interesting....

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                I sent my friend Rockhound's comment and he went out today to buy this monster duck
                Thanks Gary, give us an update if it works.

Comment

Piney, what ever happened to Kody and Bo ? Didn't you know then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                    He might consider taping a kids pinwheel to the neck of the duck.

Comment

PPP, that's an untrue statement.
                      I had no problem with your comment.

Comment

No, I'm afraid I don't know them.

Comment

This question seems a bit like entrapment. One of those "I'm not saying I need to kill ducks quietly, but if I needed to kill ducks quietly, how would I do it?" Type things.

Theoretically: it's been covered quite well, an air rifle, an air-shotgun, slingshot, sling-bow, bow with "dodgebow / archerytag" headed arrows, ones that haven't really been covered would be something like a .22lr with ratshot loads. There are of course traps he could buy, but that would require transporting / disposing of a trapped duck.

A solar cover would probably do the trick right? Or he might try an air hose / sparger. Lots of bubbles rippling the surface of the water make it hard for the duck to float, they don't like that. You might be able to do the same thing with sufficient quantities of dishsoap, and change the surface tension of the water making them go away.

I liked the gator decoy. In fact, there are funny prank videos of people attaching the gator decoys to R/C boats. Another one is hawk and owl decoys they work pretty well. I know a local place that uses a full body Coyote decoy and that works pretty well too, so maybe a fox decoy might do the trick if he can't find a 'yote.

One of those automatic pool cleaners scares away most wildlife. I like roomba but it cleans the pool, so that would be a win win for him.

Comment

hmm double post. That hasn't happened in a while; must have been extra excited...

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                              This question seems a bit like entrapment. One of those "I'm not saying I need to kill ducks quietly, but if I needed to kill ducks quietly, how would I do it?" Type things.

Theoretically: it's been covered quite well, an air rifle, an air-shotgun, slingshot, sling-bow, bow with "dodgebow / archerytag" headed arrows, ones that haven't really been covered would be something like a .22lr with ratshot loads. There are of course traps he could buy, but that would require transporting / disposing of a trapped duck.

A solar cover would probably do the trick right? Or he might try an air hose / sparger. Lots of bubbles rippling the surface of the water make it hard for the duck to float, they don't like that. You might be able to do the same thing with sufficient quantities of dishsoap, and change the surface tension of the water making them go away.

I liked the gator decoy. In fact, there are funny prank videos of people attaching the gator decoys to R/C boats. Another one is hawk and owl decoys they work pretty well. I know a local place that uses a full body Coyote decoy and that works pretty well too, so maybe a fox decoy might do the trick if he can't find a 'yote.

One of those automatic pool cleaners scares away most wildlife. I like roomba but it cleans the pool, so that would be a win win for him.
                              He said the massive yellow blow-up duck is working so far. ?
                              I don't think waterfowl are the brightest species? ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget