Celebrate Bald Eagle Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrate Bald Eagle Day

Read the article about Eagles getting lead poisoning and donate if you can.

https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/hunt-and-fish-lead-free/

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/hunt-and-fish-lead-free/
      Under Explore on their home page check Maps and you can see where a recently fledged Eagle went from Decorah, Iowa to Canada. Honk, be careful you don't shoot one they are protected.

Comment

I already use non-toxic for waterfowl. I'll go completely lead free when Tungsten is dirt cheap (and proven completely non-toxic). Seriously, I don't even care about barrel wear, but personally, I don't believe for a second that some of the findings regarding lead ammo aren't exaggerated or fudged as part of a larger effort to phase out hunting by making it too expensive to partake in.

The sooner it becomes a "rich man" only sport the easier it for people to get rid of it, or to legitimately regulate it to only the rich who have the means to push back.

You know what? I take it back. Once HSUS (the predominant financier of the studies) states that they will offer a rebate program reimbursing the difference between "non-toxic" and lead, I'll switch. If they ever put their money where their mouth is, and it causes me little to no difference in performance, I'll go along with them. Until then I remain skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          I already use non-toxic for waterfowl. I'll go completely lead free when Tungsten is dirt cheap (and proven completely non-toxic). Seriously, I don't even care about barrel wear, but personally, I don't believe for a second that some of the findings regarding lead ammo aren't exaggerated or fudged as part of a larger effort to phase out hunting by making it too expensive to partake in.

The sooner it becomes a "rich man" only sport the easier it for people to get rid of it, or to legitimately regulate it to only the rich who have the means to push back.

You know what? I take it back. Once HSUS (the predominant financier of the studies) states that they will offer a rebate program reimbursing the difference between "non-toxic" and lead, I'll switch. If they ever put their money where their mouth is, and it causes me little to no difference in performance, I'll go along with them. Until then I remain skeptical.
          Buckeroo, The first cause of death of an Eagle is collision with vehicles. The only predator in the wild that can take down a healthy Eagle is a large Owl. Second cause of death is lead from eating carrion - probably shot by a hunter that then got away and the Eagle found it. AmericanEagleFoundation located in DollyWood and RaptorResource.org have the research on Eagles. These two organization have people bring sick, poisoned Eagles to them all the time for treatment. I think they use EDTA. After rehab if possible they are released back in the wild.

Comment

I forgot to mention, only 50% of young Eagles make it 5 years to maturity.
            They need all the help they can get. (they are all dark color until 5 years old when they get the white head and white tail feathers)

Comment

The golden eagle can kill a goat. Watch this short video as the eagle drops the goat down the cliff and eats it dead at the bottom.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxPBWpUNucU

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget