Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Told you bears were moving in around me. . Does bears or pigs influence what you carry afield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Told you bears were moving in around me. . Does bears or pigs influence what you carry afield?

This fella within a 2 hour drive of me. You fellas that have them around you and that hike, camp or wade fish, do you carry because of them in particular? Are you more concerned with 2 legged varmints? I carry an old H&R 900 with 3 bird shot,3 cb's and 3 long rifle over my shoulder when I'm wade fishing out in the boonies. Not ready to change yet. So, do you carry and what ? And is it for people, bears, pigs, snakes or ??????
    Attached Files

Somebody may have poisoned him.

Is this in MO or ARK ? Ohio gets some every year from PA. Probably young ones looking for a territory.
    In the Adirondacks, if I don't have a gun I have bear spray. Every year someone gets killed by a bear, probably teasing the bear or doing something stupid.
    Bear proof food containers are mandatory for backpacking and camping.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Is this in MO or ARK ? Ohio gets some every year from PA. Probably young ones looking for a territory.
      In the Adirondacks, if I don't have a gun I have bear spray. Every year someone gets killed by a bear, probably teasing the bear or doing something stupid.
      Southeast Missouri. It's possible he was but bears haven't reached the status of dislike that pigs or coyotes have attained around here yet. They're still more of a novelty.

Comment

The bear looks to be in good shape, but he's probably a little bloated.

I always have either a .40S&W or a 1cm on my hip, both of which would suffice should the need arise. However, at present there are neither bears nor hogs in the area.

Comment

I carry to insure I have the advantage. Hollow point followed by a solid. 40 cal SW .

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

I always have either a .40S&W or a 1cm on my hip, both of which would suffice should the need arise. However, at present there are neither bears nor hogs in the area.
            So your concerns are either 2 legged or snakes?

Comment

2 legged. This spring about 4 miles away from the farm hq a guy wearing a loincloth and carrying a handgun walked out of nowhere and stole a pickup at gunpoint. It took 3 or 4 cops to subdue him after they caught up with him. He was on drugs, but last I heard it was unknown what.

Comment

Point being, I'm close enough to 3 "big" cities that the scum who circle the herd occasionally make it this far out. I believe it better to be prepared.
                I appreciate and support law enforcement, but the police response time is best measured in minutes, which means, if things go south, they will arrive in time to pick up the pieces.

Comment

We live in the Middle of Hogs & Black Bears And our lease is in Hog/Bear country, Around Camp almost all male members have some type of firearm on there hip, Ya know on 3300 wild acres you never know whats gona come at you. around camp or on my Honda ATV i pack my Gl-20/10mm. It's like penicillin a cure all!!

Comment

The only thing I carry with me is sometimes a machete and that's for weeds and I've been in some deep forest before.

Comment

Had a black bear killed today 20 or so miles from my house on I95 in Belair Md. 20 years ago no one would have believed this possible. I’ve hunted and fished in black bear country for years in Western MD and PA and I carry nothing. Now in Grizzly country , well that’s a different story. To tell the truth I much more worried about snakes.

Comment

Bears yes. I want to make sure I have enough rifle to stop whatever might come after me if it has bad intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                          We live in the Middle of Hogs & Black Bears And our lease is in Hog/Bear country, Around Camp almost all male members have some type of firearm on there hip, Ya know on 3300 wild acres you never know whats gona come at you. around camp or on my Honda ATV i pack my Gl-20/10mm. It's like penicillin a cure all!!
                          What load do you carry in your G20?

I carry 200gr XTP's loaded by Underwood Ammo in my 10mm 1911. On the other hand, my uncle carries 165gr Gold Dots (loaded by Underwood Ammo) in his G20.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Novelty can wear off pretty quick. Just saying...

Comment

This article is a good read if you're interested in the topic of bear defense.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget