Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it comes to dropped food, can you trust the five-second rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it comes to dropped food, can you trust the five-second rule?

They say that dropped food will be safe to eat if it is picked up from the floor within five seconds.

No, it picks up germs regardless of the time spent on the floor.

Comment

Depends on whose house the floor is in. I have aunts whose floors are probably safer than my dining room table. Other relatives -- well, they invite me to dinner and I'm tempted to brown-bag it.

Comment

IF there is an organism there it will be picked up immediately. Technicians pickup bacteria cultures off a petri dish by just touching them with a wire loop instrument - no delay at all.

Comment

By "they" I'm assuming you mean those who eat with their fingers and consider spoons and forks superfluous and by those who have predisinfected their digestive systems with a generous alcohol bath. Only grilled ribeyes and porksteak can withstand such abuse. : )

Comment

Only if I can't beat my pit bull to it;-))......Lol never yuk yuk!!

Comment

It makes no difference, at my age I cannot bend over in five seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                It makes no difference, at my age I cannot bend over in five seconds
                Right there with you!

Comment

Depends on whether it is a dropped steak, or a dropped Frito.

Comment

All depends where you dropped it....

Comment

As clarification, bacteria on the floor may not contain pathogens. In addition most bacteria would be killed in your stomach, except the pathogens and if they are present in large enough numbers you are going to get sick. Other contamination could be parasites like worm larva your dog may be leaving around. They can grow to a large size and present problems as adults.
                      Viruses are another possible problem and as we know there are some real pathogenic ones out there. Viruses can live for many hours on a surface using only the humidity from the air to survive.
                      Your body is full of saprofitic bacteria that actually protect you from some pathogens. But, if you take a lot of antibiotics or other things that may reduce their number you may be opening yourself up to serious infection.
                      All this is Microbiology 101 and you can read up on it in text books.

Comment

Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                        All depends where you dropped it....
                        ^^^this^^^

Comment

It all depends on what food and the condition of the floor.

Just this afternoon in an unfortunate turn of events whiIst I was eating lunch I dropped my yeti and then in a hasty attempt to prevent the contents from completely running out on the floor of the tractor I lost my fried chicken into the accumulation of dirt and Lord knows what else under the brake pedals. A truly devastating sight to say the least. However, after rinsing it off with my water jug it tasted good, perhaps a wee bit gritty, but good.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                            It all depends on what food and the condition of the floor.

Just this afternoon in an unfortunate turn of events whiIst I was eating lunch I dropped my yeti and then in a hasty attempt to prevent the contents from completely running out on the floor of the tractor I lost my fried chicken into the accumulation of dirt and Lord knows what else under the brake pedals. A truly devastating sight to say the least. However, after rinsing it off with my water jug it tasted good, perhaps a wee bit gritty, but good.
                            When I first posted this question about five years ago, someone answered,
                            "I live by it!"

Comment

Absolutely if you pick it up in 5 seconds or less , after 5 seconds you must institute the ten second rule .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget