Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days gone by: Who were your old hunting and fishing friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days gone by: Who were your old hunting and fishing friends?

When you were a kid, did you have fishing-hunting-camping buddies your own age ....
    ... or was it always you and Dad, Mom, and other relatives? Just got to missing my old pal Billy today, for some reason. From age 7 or 8 up through our teens, we were fishing legends in our own young minds. Seriously, though, I don't think there were very many cricks in the whole county we didn't fish at some point; sometimes in the summer, we'd ride our bikes all day just to have a couple hours to fish before having to start back. Sometimes we'd get lost and never find the stream we were looking for and end up fishing whatever crick we did find. Anyway, just wondering if anyone wanted to tell some stories. I always enjoy them.

Yes ,I had a pal like that ,we were like peanut butter and jam. One winter day we marched off to ice fish in a pond we only heard about. Snow was blowing ,cold ,cold,cold. We walked a couple miles along the road with our tackle boxes and rods,people blowing their horns. We realized our mistake and walked back home laughing how foolish we looked.We always took each other on trips when we camped to fish,and doubled up on bucks one season opener and was back in camp before some of the old guys had even left. He passed away a few years back,I think part of me went with him,as only he knew all the stories we made as kids and later as adults.

Comment

I hunt every year with a guy I started kindergarten with. We have every year except for service.

Comment

I'd consider my dad as the main hunting buddy I have ever had. He's who taught me everything when it comes to hunting. Same with fishing. Definitely miss those days. I've probably hunted and fished with well over 100 people, with both positive and negative experiences. No shortage of people to go fishing/hunting with around here.

Comment

I deer hunted with a guy back in the eighties who married a Animal Rights Activist. His hunted days came to an end. His trophy mounts went out on the garage walls. My older brother told me years before he was a pussy because he needed my brother to show him his own tree stand in the dark. My brother swears Dave was afraid of the dark or getting lost.

I remember fishing king salmon and largemouth bass with my father and brothers in upstate New York.

Deer hunted Maine with my brothers and cousins.
          Hunted bucks in Saskatchewan with my youngest brother and friend.

My ex bear hunting friend would rather go on a cruise ship with his wife during his vacation, then go deer and bear hunting.
          He did harvest one bear and out. He put on a lot of weight also. They eat non stop on cruise ships. ?

Mike is my bear and deer hunting fanatic friend now. ?

Comment

As a farm kid i diden't have lots of free time, between School work & farm work So hunting was with family mostly.Then we renter-out the farm and moved Down State.....Queens NYC In Hi-School I made tons of friends and started singing Street Corner Harmony(Doo-Wops) Go on YouTub "Looking for an Echo" Kenny Vance......I'm the guy with a white tie;-))

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
              As a farm kid i diden't have lots of free time, between School work & farm work So hunting was with family mostly.Then we renter-out the farm and moved Down State.....Queens NYC In Hi-School I made tons of friends and started singing Street Corner Harmony(Doo-Wops) Go on YouTub "Looking for an Echo" Kenny Vance......I'm the guy with a white tie;-))
              Great tune! Damn, Treestand, you're a bona fide Renaissance Man.

Comment

Hunting for me is primarily a solitary endeavor and I prefer it that way. I began with my Father, a great hunter, and best friend until the day he died. I cherish our hunting times together but we had no money and our ranch required a lot of his attention to wring a living out of it. We tried to get in an annual elk and deer hunt. Hunting was my way of life as a boy. We had no other pastimes to draw my attention, no radio, no tv, no baseball, little basketball or football. I worked hard on the ranch, then hunted even harder. We had no close neighbor kids to hang around with and the occasional one who tried hunting with me did not take it as seriously as I. My father preferred me to hunt alone, feeling I was less likely to get into mischief or have an accident. I do not in any way feel tougher, wiser, more talented than other hunters, just my way. Alone with nature, looking for a bit of adventure on my terms on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  Thank You....They were great days......I would Moonlight singing while still on the Job.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                    I deer hunted with a guy back in the eighties who married a Animal Rights Activist. His hunted days came to an end. His trophy mounts went out on the garage walls. My older brother told me years before he was a pussy because he needed my brother to show him his own tree stand in the dark. My brother swears Dave was afraid of the dark or getting lost.

I remember fishing king salmon and largemouth bass with my father and brothers in upstate New York.

Deer hunted Maine with my brothers and cousins.
                    Hunted bucks in Saskatchewan with my youngest brother and friend.

My ex bear hunting friend would rather go on a cruise ship with his wife during his vacation, then go deer and bear hunting.
                    He did harvest one bear and out. He put on a lot of weight also. They eat non stop on cruise ships. ?

Mike is my bear and deer hunting fanatic friend now. ?
                    That made me laugh. Well the activist girlfriend is a tragedy.
                    I too have a friend I used to archery hunt with who I'm pretty sure was afraid of the dark. If you were heading out with him, there was always some last minute putting around that had to happen before you got in the car so by the time you hit the trees lights were unnecessary. No matter how soon after shooting light I was heading out of the woods, I never ever even walked out with him, he was never at his stand when I swung by, he was always already waiting in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                      Hunting for me is primarily a solitary endeavor and I prefer it that way. I began with my Father, a great hunter, and best friend until the day he died. I cherish our hunting times together but we had no money and our ranch required a lot of his attention to wring a living out of it. We tried to get in an annual elk and deer hunt. Hunting was my way of life as a boy. We had no other pastimes to draw my attention, no radio, no tv, no baseball, little basketball or football. I worked hard on the ranch, then hunted even harder. We had no close neighbor kids to hang around with and the occasional one who tried hunting with me did not take it as seriously as I. My father preferred me to hunt alone, feeling I was less likely to get into mischief or have an accident. I do not in any way feel tougher, wiser, more talented than other hunters, just my way. Alone with nature, looking for a bit of adventure on my terms on my own.
                      I never was lonely own my solo hunts,and the freedom of not having a meet up or quitting time is advantageous,and to this day I do still enjoy them. The hunt these days is no longer primarily to bring home game,although that is the gist of the hunt . Spending time with old friends and helping the nephews and other newcomers is rewarding enough for a day afield.Then there is the medical side when you have companions along if the unexpected occurs,which is a real concern for myself and others I,m sure. The old days when I was ready at the word let's go,are gone with my father,uncles,cousins,and brother and some very good friends. Hope your hunts are just as rewarding nowadays ,as they were in the old days way back when.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                        Yes, the hunts are still rewarding. I miss no longer being able to set my own terms but realize a heroic ending, so to speak, of someday my horse coming home without me was silly and not fair to family or friends. As I approach 80 I know the importance of these relationships, before, during and after the hunts. I have been so very lucky. Kindest Regards

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                          by CD2
                          Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                          08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                        • TriggerTech installed
                          by fitch270
                          First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                          08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                        • Aquila ammo test
                          by dewman
                          Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                          Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                          08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                        • Show and Tell
                          by Amflyer
                          Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                          08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                        • College Orientation News
                          by fitch270
                          Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                          07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X