Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's keep it as a question. Anyone else dread this time every year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's keep it as a question. Anyone else dread this time every year....

... when we're getting between seasons, the weather is wet and cold, and even the retreat of checking your normal pubs for tales of other people's seasons and adventures is put on hold by reporting, by darn near every non news publication and youtube channel I subscribe to (except the BJJ ones), on SHOT?

Nope. Squirrels and rabbits till February 15(though I've got all I want), temps at 45-50 with zero snow on the ground, and the crappie bite going quite well. Selling of my excess guns has gone great and I plan to get one of those Nikon spur sights for my Ruger mk3 hunter when they become available. Past season was great, present moving along nicely and hope for new toys for the future. Life is good.

Comment

Everything peachy here in the Great Southwest, we could just use some moisture! It's been over 100 days since we've had "measurable" (over 1 or 2 tenths) rain/snow.
      Wheat pastures are getting slim!

Comment

I'm to busy to dread this time of year. We're just getting started calving with twenty calves on the ground with 145 more due in the next 50-60 days. And on the warmer days we'll probably start checking fences around summer pastures.

Comment

So much for finding company for my misery.
          My work is busy and the kids school year activities are in full swing. It makes getting out that much harder. I'm hankering for some fresh air and a day outside. Even working around the place is counterproductive in this mud.

Comment

I share your pain, jcarlin. I think we've expressed our feelings about the SHOT coverage a few times in the past. I understand the industry's compulsion to cover it, and the writers and videographers probably have a great time at it -- but yeah. I think last year, they threw up some "classic" stories to balance things out a bit, since the current writers were busy with the show. Maybe there'll be some of that coming up ....

Comment

Count me in. Busy at work as well, plus lousy weather mostly. What's just as frustrating is we've already planned about half the summer around the kids and various camps.
              Still, I'm planning on hitting the Harrisburg show and take advantage of whatever opportunities I can. Had a couple hours free Sunday afternoon and the sun was out. Took the boy and the dogs for a run up behind the house. Was rewarded nicely.
              Attached Files

Comment

I always hate the time around SHOT show, I don't care about most of the new stuff they're putting out. The time of year itself isn't bad other than the cold. Got ducks till Saturday, most small game till the end of Feb at which time I have to leave for Arizona, hopefully returning to NC before turkey season closes.

Also as Gary stated, I enjoy downtime between seasons by heading out to the National Forest plus a couple smaller gamelands to scout. Especially right now when most animals are still moving like they were at the end of the season. Saw a lot of deer during bow season and the first 2 weeks of firearms. By mid November my sightings had dropped off severely and I'm looking to change that next year. Post-Thanksgiving was usually my favorite time of the hunting season back home.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  Count me in. Busy at work as well, plus lousy weather mostly. What's just as frustrating is we've already planned about half the summer around the kids and various camps.
                  Still, I'm planning on hitting the Harrisburg show and take advantage of whatever opportunities I can. Had a couple hours free Sunday afternoon and the sun was out. Took the boy and the dogs for a run up behind the house. Was rewarded nicely.
                  Nice bird! Fitch, have you ever seen snowshoe hares in your area, or anywhere in NY south of Tug Hill or the Adirondacks? When I was a kid, I remember my older brothers occasionally getting one in the state land they hunted in Chenango County, but it's been years since I've heard of any anywhere in the Southern Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                    I always hate the time around SHOT show, I don't care about most of the new stuff they're putting out. The time of year itself isn't bad other than the cold. Got ducks till Saturday, most small game till the end of Feb at which time I have to leave for Arizona, hopefully returning to NC before turkey season closes.

Also as Gary stated, I enjoy downtime between seasons by heading out to the National Forest plus a couple smaller gamelands to scout. Especially right now when most animals are still moving like they were at the end of the season. Saw a lot of deer during bow season and the first 2 weeks of firearms. By mid November my sightings had dropped off severely and I'm looking to change that next year. Post-Thanksgiving was usually my favorite time of the hunting season back home.
                    Surely you don't mean that you don't care about wonderful new inventions such as Paper City Firearms new Rapid Deployment Bayonet!!

Comment

No sir.
                      Been years since they were around here as well. I know some guys that are big into beagles, they head to Maine to run hares.
                      Lot of things ain't what they used to be. Sign I'm getting old.

Comment

Like PigHunter, I'm still deer hunting until Feb 10th, then it's time to cut firewood for next year. The whiting bite has been red hot at the State Pier in Gulf Shores, with a few nice redfish mixed in, and the sheepshead bite isn't too far from getting good. My fishing tackle stays in a state of semi-rehab, depending on what's biting.

Way off topic, but for dinner tonight, I had fried backstrap from a doe killed yesterday along with garlic mashed potatoes and Caesar salad. Mighty good doings, especially when eaten in front of the fireplace.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                          Deleted...
                          March 6th, you can take a gun and a fishing pole when you go out.

Comment

It's that time of the year to explore new hunting locations. Trail cams can also keep you busy. One year I had a buck still with antlers in the middle of March.
                            BTW, don't forget there is always time for Super Bowl reviews and stories leading up to the big game.
                            Go Birds! ??

Comment

Even when you're not so old, it feels like things ain't what they used to be. I emailed DEC recently about the downswing in grouse populations, wondering if they had any specifics on why, and whether it was largely my area or in other areas, too. The biologist got right back to me and said it's pretty much statewide. Along with the usual causes like forest maturation, he mentioned that West Nile virus is now being studied as a cause of the decline, or at least a factor. I hadn't heard that before. On the plus side, here in the Tompkins-Cortland-Chenango county areas, there's been a good bit of state-land logging this past year (mainly ahead of the ash-borer invasion), so hopefully that will get some small-game habitat regenerating. Seems like even cottontails have gotten few and far between in some places.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget