Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything you wish you were better at, in terms of the outdoors?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anything you wish you were better at, in terms of the outdoors?

    Myself, I could use a few weekends shooting clays -- at best, I probably make the grouse around here mildly nervous.

  • #2
    Well, I would like to improve my rifleshooting. My shotgun shooting at crossing targets is terrible. I always need work on fly tying. In particular, I would like to tie more fully dressed salmon flies, as I am interested in the history and the materials. I am in the middle of a Brittania, but I just need to get my hands on some shoveler duck flank to finish. Currently my fly casting is serviceable, but there is always room for improvement.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am a decent shot,rifle,bow,shotgun, but sometimes my fishing prowess sometimes makes me question if my basic techniques have been skewed since I first picked up a cane pole and a cork bobber. My fishin pals always outfish me,first fish,I buy the beer,biggest fish,I buy the beer,most fish,well by then it's already been determined that a cold case of whatever is their favorite I,m buying. I never leave the house unless I got enough bucks to cover the cost,and my other half thinks if fishing is this expensive wouldn't, it be cheaper to just go to Joe,S crab shack,or Red lobster? I,m pretty observant watching every move my fishing buddy makes so I can duplicate his choices. I know I,m going to forfeit that first fish but if I,m lucky enough maybe I,ll have a shot at the most fish if the bite is slow. I practiced my cast so it's already on the fly the second he starts to reel one in and my bait can take up a close residence where his sat previously. Slowly I keep movin closer to where the action is at,while I pop the top on his first beer.After about half an hour and I have put about 5 or 6 fish in the live well that he,S caught. Pop! There goes the second brew. He looks at me and says ,you know if you keep getting any closer you gonna be sitting in my lap. Oh,well maye I might still catch a big one,if not Iknow how to lie about how big the one was that got away. Pop, There goes 3

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Henry View Post
        Well, I would like to improve my rifleshooting. My shotgun shooting at crossing targets is terrible. I always need work on fly tying. In particular, I would like to tie more fully dressed salmon flies, as I am interested in the history and the materials. I am in the middle of a Brittania, but I just need to get my hands on some shoveler duck flank to finish. Currently my fly casting is serviceable, but there is always room for improvement.
        Crossing targets,both eyes open ,cheek the stock,if your not hitting ,more lead, if you are hitting more lead

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Henry View Post
          Well, I would like to improve my rifleshooting. My shotgun shooting at crossing targets is terrible. I always need work on fly tying. In particular, I would like to tie more fully dressed salmon flies, as I am interested in the history and the materials. I am in the middle of a Brittania, but I just need to get my hands on some shoveler duck flank to finish. Currently my fly casting is serviceable, but there is always room for improvement.
          Thank you!

          Comment


          • #6
            Making time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PigHunter
              I need to improve my J-stroke
              Yeah, get on that. You know what failure to use the proper strokes leads to, don't you? That's right: Ruddering. Don't be a rudderer, Pighunter.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                I am a decent shot,rifle,bow,shotgun, but sometimes my fishing prowess sometimes makes me question if my basic techniques have been skewed since I first picked up a cane pole and a cork bobber. My fishin pals always outfish me,first fish,I buy the beer,biggest fish,I buy the beer,most fish,well by then it's already been determined that a cold case of whatever is their favorite I,m buying. I never leave the house unless I got enough bucks to cover the cost,and my other half thinks if fishing is this expensive wouldn't, it be cheaper to just go to Joe,S crab shack,or Red lobster? I,m pretty observant watching every move my fishing buddy makes so I can duplicate his choices. I know I,m going to forfeit that first fish but if I,m lucky enough maybe I,ll have a shot at the most fish if the bite is slow. I practiced my cast so it's already on the fly the second he starts to reel one in and my bait can take up a close residence where his sat previously. Slowly I keep movin closer to where the action is at,while I pop the top on his first beer.After about half an hour and I have put about 5 or 6 fish in the live well that he,S caught. Pop! There goes the second brew. He looks at me and says ,you know if you keep getting any closer you gonna be sitting in my lap. Oh,well maye I might still catch a big one,if not Iknow how to lie about how big the one was that got away. Pop, There goes 3
                A guide had us up close to a lighthouse in Lake Erie fishing for small mouth. The boat was pointed toward the base. Well, the people in the front part of the boat were catching fish but the people in the back were not - all were using soft shell crayfish. So, after some complaints, the guide had those in the front move to the back and back move to front. The guys immediately started catching fish off the front. That was only about a 30' difference in area we were fishing and it made all the difference.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PigHunter
                  I need to improve my J-stroke
                  Did you ever consider a sit on top kayak ?

                  BTW, do you have alligators where you go ? Is there a season on them ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Explain to the better half why I need another gun. So far the answer is you have enough already.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                      Explain to the better half why I need another gun. So far the answer is you have enough already.
                      Read Pat McManus's "Gun Running," in THE GRASSHOPPER TRAP. It's not just humor, it's how-to.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PigHunter
                        I need to improve my J-stroke
                        Aren’t all the gators in the southern quarter? Any in the central part?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                          Explain to the better half why I need another gun. So far the answer is you have enough already.
                          Of all the things we disagree about, the closest the Minister of Finance has come to telling me "No." about another gun was, "Can it wait until payday?"!
                          Yes it could! Nearly 40 years and never a flat out, "No!".
                          In Sept, on a road trip, I stumbled into a Win M12 16 gauge. It was a mess and I could get it for a song.
                          Got it home, salvaged parts for another gun.
                          The M of F walks by, looks at the pile of parts and says, "Why don't you put that one back together? Then you'll have two."
                          I put the parts in a bag and ordered the necessary parts!
                          Now I have TWO M12 Winchesters in 16 gauge!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I wish we had grouse in Fl, I have to drive to NC to hunt them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My request would be, dump all the misinformed animal rights protesters.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Dirty Thirty
                                by Ernie
                                This is BCG 308 Winchester XP-100, using a Remington Take-Off 308 Winchester barrel chopped to 15.8" Holland's Radial Baffle Brake, Leupold Mark...
                                Yesterday, 12:56 PM
                              • 243 Odyssey & squirrel prep
                                by dewman
                                Went to youngest daughters graduation these last 3 days in Hannibal. (Masters from HLG). On the return trip stopped in a mom & pop convenience store....
                                05-16-2022, 04:14 PM
                              • Angry Consumers Buy Bulk SMS Service Sneaking
                                by shatikhatun
                                Their complaints into the subconscious of other buyers and marking their purchase decisions Others may say that such comments are unhelpful, but your...
                                05-10-2022, 03:43 AM
                              • Monday Already?
                                by fitch270
                                ...
                                05-09-2022, 12:29 PM
                              • Laughing Hurts
                                by fitch270
                                I’m glad I saw Motley Crue 30+ years ago. This is both painful to watch and funny as he.. at the same time.

                                ...
                                05-05-2022, 07:47 PM

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X