Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we familiarize ourselves with each other here to make things more convivial so good guys like Jim hang around longer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we familiarize ourselves with each other here to make things more convivial so good guys like Jim hang around longer?

Hunting pals you never meet

I was thinking about a resume of sorts where we introduce ourselves,no need to post address or pertinent stuff,just a description of your history or likes that kinda stuff,whatever you feel comfortable with,and when someone new comes along maybe they might want to invest their knowledge for the benefit of others,Maybe we can learn to disagree and still respect the other fella or gal, what say you Ishmael? Will you say yay ? Or we might all just pass in the darkness without ever seeing what truly drives man. How's that for a bit of Melville drama ?

Comment

The old formats were better for that kind of interaction.

One thing I'd really like to see on both sites is a private message feature where individuals could contact each other the way you can on other forums. Unfortunately there's a good chance that would be abused by some troll types.
      I've thought about askimg the site mods to pass on my contact info to certain individuals, but didn't figure that was really their responsibility.

Comment

I was thinking about posting an Outdoor Life thread stating "Where is JM?"
        We haven't heard from JM for a while, until his last thread stating he was leaving the website.
        People get busy with their lives and they move on. It happens.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
          I was thinking about a resume of sorts where we introduce ourselves,no need to post address or pertinent stuff,just a description of your history or likes that kinda stuff,whatever you feel comfortable with,and when someone new comes along maybe they might want to invest their knowledge for the benefit of others,Maybe we can learn to disagree and still respect the other fella or gal, what say you Ishmael? Will you say yay ? Or we might all just pass in the darkness without ever seeing what truly drives man. How's that for a bit of Melville drama ?
          I really like the idea, but I'm not sure it could be implemented without another site mod or update.
          How difficult would it be to add a section to people's profile where said information could be located?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            The old formats were better for that kind of interaction.

One thing I'd really like to see on both sites is a private message feature where individuals could contact each other the way you can on other forums. Unfortunately there's a good chance that would be abused by some troll types.
            I've thought about askimg the site mods to pass on my contact info to certain individuals, but didn't figure that was really their responsibility.
            I have done that on two occasions Fitch and have never had a problem with results or with the site concenting to help ! I say, go for it !!

Comment

I am not too sure about the idea, there seems to be too much room for error or info being misused, jmo ! I myself would be very hesitant to become involved.

Comment

Well, you know, that was sort of the beauty of the way the sites used to be when more users had more reason to have a good back-and-forth conversation over a couple days or so. I joined later than some but had no problem feeling like I could get to know certain users, to some extent, just from reading their comments and replies as a conversation went on. Now, with fewer users being happy with the site/magazine overall, there's less of that. I also remember, here on OL, certain threads in the Answers section would be in some way related to one of the articles that everyone had read ... for better or worse ... but now the overall content is less engaging and less thought-provoking. Heck, even Petzal's columns on FS seldom get more than a few comments, when 25-35 used to be the norm. I don't really know that it's any lack of conviviality that makes regular users move on; there haven't been many or any real heated exchanges here on OL, that I remember. I think it might just be a general dissatisfaction with things. Overall, the magazines as whole entities just don't lend themselves to the kind of "Guys around a campfire" atmosphere that they used to. I will add that so far as Answers sections go, I will always prefer this one to FS. All those new users everyday? That can't be real -- or if it is, they must have had some promotion with some other outfit, something like, Hey, post a question and get blah blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  Well, you know, that was sort of the beauty of the way the sites used to be when more users had more reason to have a good back-and-forth conversation over a couple days or so. I joined later than some but had no problem feeling like I could get to know certain users, to some extent, just from reading their comments and replies as a conversation went on. Now, with fewer users being happy with the site/magazine overall, there's less of that. I also remember, here on OL, certain threads in the Answers section would be in some way related to one of the articles that everyone had read ... for better or worse ... but now the overall content is less engaging and less thought-provoking. Heck, even Petzal's columns on FS seldom get more than a few comments, when 25-35 used to be the norm. I don't really know that it's any lack of conviviality that makes regular users move on; there haven't been many or any real heated exchanges here on OL, that I remember. I think it might just be a general dissatisfaction with things. Overall, the magazines as whole entities just don't lend themselves to the kind of "Guys around a campfire" atmosphere that they used to. I will add that so far as Answers sections go, I will always prefer this one to FS. All those new users everyday? That can't be real -- or if it is, they must have had some promotion with some other outfit, something like, Hey, post a question and get blah blah blah.
                  I'm beginning to think it's in part due to the confusion with the F&S stores, not just the obvious customer service questions. Folks are researching for purchases and end up there.

Comment

I would not considerate wise for any of us to give up information that could identify anyone specifically,my thoughts are more general ,I.m from Western k.y ,I,m from a long line of military servicemen,although I have never served,in my mid 60,s retired from heavy hiwayconst. ,I have traveled a bit,15 countries,47 states,3 world fairs and 1 goat roast.I broke and trained bird dogs ,thoroubred horses.I earned extra money as a referee Natl. Skeet Shooting Association,I am a Kentucky Colonel a good will organization appointed by the Governor.As some of you know I like to hunt deer,big deer. Something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                      6P, this site's format doesn't help with getting to know one another in a deep way. There're many things I won't share on the Internet, even with my friends on Facebook.

I'm still planning to fish off the Alabama State pier sometime in 2018 with Country Road but otherwise don't know if I'll ever meet any of the rest of you in person. Perhaps I'll detour into NJ to see Gary if my travels take me to Eastern PA in the coming year.

We probably know more about some here than you realize. In any case, JM might be leaving anyway. There's a season for everything.
                      You never know ,life is full of unexpected things,I was never one to shy away from much,I always have to see for myself, My old man used to tell me, Make it happen in your mind,then Make it happen.

Comment

JMO) Y'all mite Go On Face Book, isen't what it's all about?? Lets keep it Real Boys Hunting,Fishing,Camping, Shooting Sports.

Comment

I don't know if I'd swim in that pond, but I would get my feet wet.

Comment

I’ve read the threads here for a while off and on but just recently started posting. I asked a couple of questions and received a lot of great responses that seemed to genuinely care about the outcome. I would jump on board to do a little profile of personal history/interests.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                              Comment deleted.
                              Ty Ph I figured you were a bit more south,I,m also long genealogy line,Revolutionary war,but differs as some were in Andersonville"sounds like you been busy earning a living lots of dire rent occupations,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget