Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did,not have scales to weigh that last deer,after it was boned the weight was 132 pounds,any guesses as to live weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    132 pounds of boned out meat?
    A field dressed deer (gutted) is about 60% of live weight.
    Removing head, hide and bones and you're going to be about 35% (+/-) of live weight.
    Whitetail or mulie?
    I come up with nearly 400 pounds on the hoof?
    That would be one monstrous deer, a smallish elk or somebody's
    market calf! LOL!
    This years buck was reading 138lbs. on my scale with his head still on the floor, so I'm guessing he was around 150-155 dressed. Ended up with 43 lbs of well trimmed meat. Pretty close to FB's figures.

One thing I'm thinking though is that bigger deer have a much higher percentage of muscle mass, which could explain it. When you compare an older buck to a younger one most of the difference in size is bulk, not overall stature.

Comment

The last buck i shot a week ago, my guess was 165lb {Not field dressed} at the meat processor weight was 173.5lb my end is 45+lb of freezer warp cut meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
        The last buck i shot a week ago, my guess was 165lb {Not field dressed} at the meat processor weight was 173.5lb my end is 45+lb of freezer warp cut meat.
        That amount of wrapped meat sounds rather on the low side ! There might be reason to question how much you did not receive. Some times processors keep some of the best cuts for themselves, just saying !

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          132 pounds of boned out meat?
          A field dressed deer (gutted) is about 60% of live weight.
          Removing head, hide and bones and you're going to be about 35% (+/-) of live weight.
          Whitetail or mulie?
          I come up with nearly 400 pounds on the hoof?
          That would be one monstrous deer, a smallish elk or somebody's
          market calf! LOL!
          bhr, from a butcher, field dressed reduces live weight +/- 40%.
          S
          When the store ran their "big buck" contest, some guys "cheated" on field dressed weight by leaving the lungs and heart in the chest cavity, which is "technically" field dressed.
          Any "animal" (deer, elk, cow, moose) will produce +/-35% live body weight in finished meat.
          Cattle normally finish on the high side because a lot of bone is left intact. (T-bones, ribs, roasts, etc)
          Wild game, not so much because all (?) bone is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
            Sorry, I left out 20ld of smoked sausage;-((

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget