Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you conscious of the backdrop of every shot you take? One dead,killed by his hunting pal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you conscious of the backdrop of every shot you take? One dead,killed by his hunting pal

Safety

One of the major reasons I don't hunt public land!
    I just have to lookout for livestock.

Comment

I am certain that is a very goog question and should be considered, but with that being said, I would say it would be very difficult to always do in actual hunting situations. I would think that most hunters would not be able to say that has happened with every shot taken in the field. I would consider making very certain of your target as important, so it is not just thought to be a deer (or whatever) before the trigger is pulled ! 100% target identification is mandatory ! Those who are responsible users of firearms almost unknowingly consider whats on the other end of their sights, it‘s automatic, or should be.

Comment

That is something to keep in mind when hunting squirrels with a rifle.

Comment

Deleted, posted under comment by Bubba.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            Bubba, is the livestock “fair game” if cow or other ID is not painted on it ?

Comment

I'd say that I try to be aware of my backdrop.
              Is it always possible that a ninja in a gilly suit and no orange is at the far side of a field? Yes... but you can't help that.

I was talking to a guy last night who described seeing the biggest buck of his life and missing it twice at 40 yards (he blamed the fact that he dialed up his scope to 7x earlier in the day and forgot to bring it down so was having trouble following the deer. I don't disagree its an issue, but just saying).. "... and then just as it crested the hill I missed a third time!"
              I cringed at that last. Launching a 12 gauge slug over the horizon is a big no-no.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                LOL! I suppose BHR!

Back in the early/mid 70's, the bottom fell out of the livestock market.
                A "want ad" came out in the local paper during deer season.
                A local farmer was charging $50/day to "day hunt"!
                Limit:
                One deer.
                One armadillo.
                One squirrel.
                One cow.
                One anything!

Comment

Sound Hunters are a Danger when hunting State Land;-((

Comment

Yes. All of my shots at deer are fifty yards or less; our woods during gun season are pretty bare; and, barring some moron in full camo farther off through the woods, there's no reason why I can't be alert to another hunter beyond my deer. I'm also surrounded by fields in some parts of my woods, with a farm in the distance in one direction and roads in three directions, so again, it's not something I forget about. As for the topic in general, I've always believed that wearing blaze orange is not only wise for your own safety, but also as a courtesy to other hunters, so they can be more sure of their target's background.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                      Yes. All of my shots at deer are fifty yards or less; our woods during gun season are pretty bare; and, barring some moron in full camo farther off through the woods, there's no reason why I can't be alert to another hunter beyond my deer. I'm also surrounded by fields in some parts of my woods, with a farm in the distance in one direction and roads in three directions, so again, it's not something I forget about. As for the topic in general, I've always believed that wearing blaze orange is not only wise for your own safety, but also as a courtesy to other hunters, so they can be more sure of their target's background.
                      By the way, a hunter here in NY shot a truck the other day. Said he thought it was a deer. Crazy.

Comment

MattM, Jimbo hunting NY this week. Was that him shooting the truck?? LMAO
                        +1

Comment

I love hunting tree stands. The backdrop is the ground. If a doe was standing behind a nice buck, I would wait for a clear shot. No need to injured a doe on a past-through slug.

Comment

I thought jhjimbo was headin to Ohio?

Comment

I grew up deer hunting in Michigan near a big state game area. Heard many a hair raiser. Went on big drives too so I've got a few choice memories myself. Sometimes even hunter orange ain't enough when the white flags start waving. I always blamed the peer pressure to kill any buck and prove you're a man. Wrong thinking of course but it was still there nonetheless.One very good side benefit of all the squirrel hunting I do is the level of background awareness it teaches. Never use sky as a backdrop. Or for many old timers, use only shotguns, never a .22. to hunt squirrel.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget