Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rethinking and Rekindling the Church Carry Question and Debate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rethinking and Rekindling the Church Carry Question and Debate

    Been rethinking this a little based on some of the answers below, and partly because to me, the fact that it's in church we're talking about is immaterial. From a practical standpoint it's just another gathering place which exists in a very physical reality.

    I'm honestly confused by this one and am not trying to talk down to anyone on it. I was raised a practicing catholic and am now slowly getting sucked into my wife's (also raised Catholic) Lutheran Church, but for the most part I'm not a churchgoing person anymore. In my parish there were always a handful of cops and they were habitually armed if they were in the congregation, but not on any set schedule.

    I'm generally armed as well. I admit, I go beyond casual concealment in some social situations and church is one of them. But what is the hang-up with being armed at church in particular?
    It's one of the places you're most like to be in a large gathering of family, friends, and a lot of more or less like minded people. That's exactly the kind of place I want to be sure is somewhat protected.

    What am I missing?

  • #2
    If I know I will be in a crowd I will be carrying. Movie, mall, sports event, any time more than 10 or 20 people are gathered in a confined area. I don't care what the sign says about no firearms - IF I am detected, I will just say sorry and leave. I have seen people open carry in the Home Depot. No problem, he was just asked to leave.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nothing, jcarlin.
      ISIS and mass murderers look for much the same thing.
      1) Christians (non-Muslims)
      2) Americans
      3) large group of people
      4) preferably unarmed

      Churches are traditionally seen as a sanctuary from violence, therefore, no guns.

      A large group of unarmed American Christians!
      SOFT TARGET!

      Traditionally found in great numbers all across America on Sunday mornings.

      Comment


      • #4
        I always carry regardless of location. I have a gun on me and in the truck at all times. While most Church goers see it as a sanctuary the sad reality is that it is a target. I am not willing to let the people I love be put in harms way because of a misguided notion that the Church is a safe haven from crazy people with guns.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          If I know I will be in a crowd I will be carrying. Movie, mall, sports event, any time more than 10 or 20 people are gathered in a confined area. I don't care what the sign says about no firearms - IF I am detected, I will just say sorry and leave. I have seen people open carry in the Home Depot. No problem, he was just asked to leave.
          I also ignore the "Gun Free Zone" signs.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'll use a hunting analogy. Say you've been hunting all day and need to take a piss. Do you bring your gun with you? Of course...you don't expect to see a deer, but there's always a chance for you to get caught with your pants down(pun totally intended). If you have the proper training and licenses to carry, then I say allow it in church.

            Comment


            • #7
              On the news tonight Church's in Orlando Fl, Say Guns are OK in Church's but NO Open carry......Praise the Lord.....Can I get an A-Man!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Most Residents of the Garden State are defenseless in church.
                My only hope are these words below;

                "1. I’ll be strong and true and have courage to do the things that are asked of me.
                I’ll defend the right with all of my might,
                The Lord will watch over me.
                He protected Daniel in the lion’s den.
                He protected David from the giant Philistine,
                and Samuel upon a city wall, and Lehi’s family too.
                For when we have faith and trust in the Lord,
                He’ll protect and bless and watch over me and you.

                2. I’ll be like the prophets of long ago, I’ll do as the Lord commands.
                In these latter days when evil abounds,
                The Lord will watch over me.
                He protected Shadrach in the fiery flames.
                He protected Jonah in the belly of a fish,
                and Helaman and his two thousand sons, and Noah’s family too.
                For when we have faith and trust in the Lord,
                He’ll protect and bless and watch over me and you."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                  On the news tonight Church's in Orlando Fl, Say Guns are OK in Church's but NO Open carry......Praise the Lord.....Can I get an A-Man!!
                  "My Church" by Maren Morris

                  "...Can I get a hallelujah!
                  Can I get an amen!
                  It's like the Holy Ghost comin' to ya
                  When you play the highway FM..."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I carry a small can of tear gas in addition to my sidearm for those occasions that I decide to leave the gun in the car. Just food for thought.
                    For anyone who is really worried, but can't carry a firearm, a can of Wasp and Hornet spray could be very effective if directed at the face of an attacker.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The Church in Texas is to be torn down.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                        Most Residents of the Garden State are defenseless in church.
                        My only hope are these words below;

                        "1. I’ll be strong and true and have courage to do the things that are asked of me.
                        I’ll defend the right with all of my might,
                        The Lord will watch over me.
                        He protected Daniel in the lion’s den.
                        He protected David from the giant Philistine,
                        and Samuel upon a city wall, and Lehi’s family too.
                        For when we have faith and trust in the Lord,
                        He’ll protect and bless and watch over me and you.

                        2. I’ll be like the prophets of long ago, I’ll do as the Lord commands.
                        In these latter days when evil abounds,
                        The Lord will watch over me.
                        He protected Shadrach in the fiery flames.
                        He protected Jonah in the belly of a fish,
                        and Helaman and his two thousand sons, and Noah’s family too.
                        For when we have faith and trust in the Lord,
                        He’ll protect and bless and watch over me and you."
                        "" Sam Colt" Made All Men Equal On The Face Of The Earth Though The Grace Of GOD....AMEN!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If the Good Lord intended for devine intervention against every bad event then there would be no need for personal protection. Where there are people there will be evil. We as christians are not asked to be sheep. I would say that protecting Christians in a house of God is much more pleasing to him than laying down and doing nothing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                            Most Residents of the Garden State are defenseless in church.
                            My only hope are these words below;

                            "1. I’ll be strong and true and have courage to do the things that are asked of me.
                            I’ll defend the right with all of my might,
                            The Lord will watch over me.
                            He protected Daniel in the lion’s den.
                            He protected David from the giant Philistine,
                            and Samuel upon a city wall, and Lehi’s family too.
                            For when we have faith and trust in the Lord,
                            He’ll protect and bless and watch over me and you.

                            2. I’ll be like the prophets of long ago, I’ll do as the Lord commands.
                            In these latter days when evil abounds,
                            The Lord will watch over me.
                            He protected Shadrach in the fiery flames.
                            He protected Jonah in the belly of a fish,
                            and Helaman and his two thousand sons, and Noah’s family too.
                            For when we have faith and trust in the Lord,
                            He’ll protect and bless and watch over me and you."
                            And then the Schofield Kid says, "He had it coming." And Clint Eastwood replies, "We all got it coming, kid."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                              If the Good Lord intended for devine intervention against every bad event then there would be no need for personal protection. Where there are people there will be evil. We as christians are not asked to be sheep. I would say that protecting Christians in a house of God is much more pleasing to him than laying down and doing nothing.
                              When I was a wee lad, I felt totally safe in church because it was the house of The Lord.
                              Lightning could not strike it.
                              If a shooting like Las Vegas took place around that time of my life, my faith would have been utterly destroyed.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X