Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a bow blade for my chainsaw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a bow blade for my chainsaw.

I will be cutting a large amount of firewood as soon as the weather cools off a little, and wanted to get a new bow blade for my Stihl 390. Surprise, surprise---nobody seems to make them any more and my chainsaw dealer won't even let me mention them in his store. Seriously---he got sued, and lost, for sharpening the chain for one. (Ridiculous.) I know they look vicious and have a lot of blade exposed, but there is no better tool for bucking up firewood in a horizontal position. The big advantage to me is the ability to stand up straight, stick the "toe" into the log and cut forever without having to bend over or worry about the saw binding in the cut.

Do any of y'all know where I might find one, or have you had any experience with the bow blade?

They are all over e-bay and many have free shipping. They are very dangerous so use with great caution. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,5287.msg71774.html?PHPSESSID=c965791b62edfac 05f25bef93b6254b2#msg71774

Comment

Thanks, I must have looked in the wrong place on E-bay. I've had no issues with bow blades over the past thirty or more years that I've used them, since I take pains to use them correctly. They do what they do with great efficiency.

Comment

Egads! I haven't thought of or seen a "bow" blade on a chain saw in ages!
        Surely, somebody, somewhere still manufactures them.

Comment

What is the advantage of a bow blade on a chain saw?

Comment

I firmly believe that the man of the house should have at least one good chainsaw in his toolshed. You never know when you might need it. I use mine for cutting tree branches and, even though they're not as thick as some trees growing around the house, I still need my chainsaw blade sharpened all the time. A good sharpener will handle this issue. I found the right one with the help of toolsngoods, and I couldn't be happier. My chainsaw cuts through any wood easily, and it takes little to no effort whatsoever.
            Last edited by dorotysuth; 08-25-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget