Changes to OutdoorLife.com Log In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to OutdoorLife.com Log In

Here’s a heads-up for all of our regulars and for folks who are new to the site. Starting this week, readers will be required to enter a date of birth when they log in. So, when you sign on in the near future, you will be asked to enter a DOB in order to be able to continue logging in. Once you’re logged in, you’ll be able to post comments and ask questions.

Your date of birth will not be displayed to other users. And, young children will not be allowed to log in to the site (though they’ll still be able to read content without logging in).

In the coming weeks we’ll also be reaching out to certain users asking about their hunting, fishing, and shooting interests. The idea is to use your input to help us create more of the type of content that our core readers are most interested in. You can expect these questionnaires sometime in August.

If you have any questions or complaints about your account, please email [email protected]

Sincerely,
    Alex Robinson
    Online Editor

Originally posted by PigHunter
    Thanks Alex. What is driving the change? Have the number of site visits significantly dropped?

If so, perhaps it’s because you have so many interrupts running the ads that it’s painful to even compose a message such as this on your site. I finally gave up and typed into WORD before cutting and pasting into the dialog window. It’s very frustrating navigating the OL and F&S sites these days and maybe that’s driving people away.

Also, why are you imposing a new age limit? What will be the lowest age that you’ll accept user input?
    I fail to see the purpose of the date of birth requierment as there is no way to verify if the information given is correct, and if it is not, what is the use ?

Comment

Yeah.
      Unless you're adding a T&A section there's no point to it, and you don't need a T&A section. Even then that just makes your lawyers happy as the dullest (well at least a dull)10 year old will figure out to create a new user name with a different date of birth.
      It's just more data for the machine.
      Would you like my SSN?

In all seriousness, that might just be the end for me. You want to ask for an age range so you can track your demographics for advertising, I might admit to being between 40 and 45. But that's about where I draw the line.

Comment

Thanks Alex. What is driving the change? Have the number of site visits significantly dropped?

If so, perhaps it’s because you have so many interrupts running the ads that it’s painful to even compose a message such as this on your site. I finally gave up and typed into WORD before cutting and pasting into the dialog window. It’s very frustrating navigating the OL and F&S sites these days and maybe that’s driving people away.

Also, why are you imposing a new age limit? What will be the lowest age that you’ll accept user input?
        Yeah this is a pretty confusing update.

Comment

How are you going to verify information? All the core users on the website already know my age, but what would stop me from saying im 99 when I log in? And what will stop a 12 year old from pretending to be his 18 year old brother? I like that you will ask certain users for interests in the coming weeks, but I don't understand the age portion.

Comment

Leave it to OL to finally communicate something about what they're planning...only to reveal an idiotic idea. As jcarlin pointed out, this is a blatant attempt to get more information about the users here for advertising purposes. That would be more disturbing if it weren't for the fact that it's so easily manipulated, as JM said. I for one will be putting down a false age if/when I am prompted to do so. I would encourage everyone else here to do likewise. It's time for a revolt, peasants!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
              Leave it to OL to finally communicate something about what they're planning...only to reveal an idiotic idea. As jcarlin pointed out, this is a blatant attempt to get more information about the users here for advertising purposes. That would be more disturbing if it weren't for the fact that it's so easily manipulated, as JM said. I for one will be putting down a false age if/when I am prompted to do so. I would encourage everyone else here to do likewise. It's time for a revolt, peasants!
              Isn't DOB already one of the things they ask for when you register a username?

Comment

My birthdate is Dec 3, 1945.
                12-3-45
                Wouldn't it be strange if all our birthdays were the same? 12-3-45?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  12-3-45
                  Or 1-23-45.

Comment

12-3-45
                    THAT IS A WIERD COINCIDENCE. But no lying is not going to be step one in my membership.

Comment

At least theyve learned to stick their collective toe in the water first.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                        I don't think so, but I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I signed up here...and the site was very different then.

Comment

12-3-45
                          Great idea, Bubba!

Comment

This really stinks. What are you going to ask for next year, our Social Security numbers?
                            Outdoor Life needs all the users we can get. Why discriminate against all the young bucks who need advise?

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                              How are you going to verify information? All the core users on the website already know my age, but what would stop me from saying im 99 when I log in? And what will stop a 12 year old from pretending to be his 18 year old brother? I like that you will ask certain users for interests in the coming weeks, but I don't understand the age portion.
                              I notice the everyday sign in crap is starting back up again? Thanks OL staff.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun show today
                                by fitch270
                                Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                                08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                              • Beater .44 mag
                                by CD2
                                My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                                08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                              • Eatin ‘chuck
                                by dewman
                                Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X