Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    I just realized one big advantage of the site change...I think I'm now the top user here! If they're using F&S account info, I probably have more points than charlie, and he might not be back anyway, given his insistence that he won't use a site that uses a Facebook-linked comments system. Can you say, "bloodless coup"? ;-D

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    Hft, I certainly agree with your "it sucks" opinion !! It is not as easily understood as the old system and at this time I am pretty sure I will not stick with the new system long enough to even try to figure it out. Why people want to fix things that are not broke is far beyond me. Sometimes you can take progress and stick it where the sun does not shine and this is one of those times.
    Glad to hear the change of heart, richard!

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Hft, I certainly agree with your "it sucks" opinion !! It is not as easily understood as the old system and at this time I am pretty sure I will not stick with the new system long enough to even try to figure it out. Why people want to fix things that are not broke is far beyond me. Sometimes you can take progress and stick it where the sun does not shine and this is one of those times.
    Well Matt, I guess "getting used to" is a far cry better than "get the hell out of here" so
    I will try to "endeavor to persevere" and be a true Josey Wales type of guy. Thanks for the "stick around" vote !

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    At the very least, we've gotten used to you, anyway. Do stick around; if a bitter stick-in-the-mud like me can persevere, you can too! "Endeavor to persevere." - Lone Watie, in The Outlaw Josey Wales

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    Originally posted by Natalie Krebs_2 View Post
    Hey huntfishtrap—I know you guys were dreading this, but it's not as bad as you think, we promise. You can definitely still comment on stories, and all your old comments should still be there. See attached image for the comments: you just have to click that collapsible gray bar at the bottom of the story. Even better, you can choose to "follow" replies to your own comments, so you don't miss comments on something even months down the road (I believe that was a requested feature a while back). And even if it doesn't seem like we kept you guys in mind on this, I can assure you we did. Bonnier's web development team has been working really hard to make sure this redesign preserved user functionality. FS & OL were the last of 30-some brands at Bonnier to get site redesigns (PopSci got redesigned last year), simply because they were trying to problem solve how to retain user accounts, all your points, the Answer system, etc. They had to custom-build this functionality. So...I know the change is unpleasant, but we promise we tried. We're ironing out kinks this morning and afternoon, so things might be a little buggy, but let us know if you come across any issues, and we'll do our best to 1) address them and 2) keep you updated. Thanks for sticking with us.
    My old cranky self is forced to admit.. it's not bad.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
    I guess I can live with it; at any rate, I've spewed enough vitriol already. My only complaint today is that they've taken away my username, Tioughnioga, and I am now Okwaho. I'd forgotten I ever created that username; it was back on FS one time when I couldn't log on for some reason with MattM37, so I created a new username; then when MattM37 worked again, I never used Okwaho again. That means "wolf" in Mohawk, by the way, which is really kind of silly of me; I'm not Mohawk and I'm definitely more of a coyote. Anyway, I have to say, an editor taking a few minutes to explain things and treat us like actual customers certainly made a difference for me. And so far, cruising around here on OL, I have yet to see that putrid green color that's all over FS. So that's something, anyway.
    That was my question too mattm37 ! If this is not fixed, it will be too damn annoying to put up with !! Who wants to go through that every time one wants to comment, ask a question or change the menu ? Comon Man !

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    The one good thing about the website, is users can't use multiple usernames with the same email address. It knocks out the trolls and animal rights activists who keep posting things not related to Outdoor Life. Also we had a user clown from Texas who had multiple usernames on Field and Stream. He kept giving himself plus points but he is long gone. Thank God!
    Matt, he was a total nightmare. Jimbo put in a complaint because Dallas said the word "No" on Jimbo's thread and got nine plus points. The funny thing is he did seven different times with a post with the lone word "No".
    The F&S editors removed 30,000 points from Dallas for playing his high school pranks on our website.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    I guess I can live with it; at any rate, I've spewed enough vitriol already. My only complaint today is that they've taken away my username, Tioughnioga, and I am now Okwaho. I'd forgotten I ever created that username; it was back on FS one time when I couldn't log on for some reason with MattM37, so I created a new username; then when MattM37 worked again, I never used Okwaho again. That means "wolf" in Mohawk, by the way, which is really kind of silly of me; I'm not Mohawk and I'm definitely more of a coyote. Anyway, I have to say, an editor taking a few minutes to explain things and treat us like actual customers certainly made a difference for me. And so far, cruising around here on OL, I have yet to see that putrid green color that's all over FS. So that's something, anyway.
    In all seriousness, though, the one thing that is most annoying is the inability to stay logged in, even when you check the box for staying logged in. Can we expect this to be fixed at some point?

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    Well, I must admit that I may have been a little quick on the triger in regards to my displeasure of the new system. I am still note overjoyed about things, but if the rest of you guys can live with it I'll be damned if I will be the only one leaving. The sour taste in my mouth will be helped with all the sugar of Natalie's words and she has helped me out too much to throw her to the wolves !! If any of you have been displeased with me in the past, you are not free of me yet.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Thanks, Natalie, but I'm okay with letting it go ... (sniff). Honestly, it'll help me break bad habits, like going back two or three days (or weeks, or months) to see if someone finally got one of my jokes, or chimed in to congratulate me on one of my insightful comments.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    The one good thing about the website, is users can't use multiple usernames with the same email address. It knocks out the trolls and animal rights activists who keep posting things not related to Outdoor Life. Also we had a user clown from Texas who had multiple usernames on Field and Stream. He kept giving himself plus points but he is long gone. Thank God!
    Man, Gary, you've really got it in for Dallas, don't you? Maybe you guys should get together and have a beer or two. I'll buy. (Actually, I had a couple of exchanges with him myself, when I first joined up, and realized right off what a wing-nut he was).

Leave a comment:

• zatos
    replied
    Will I be thoroughly beaten if I admit that I like the update? I think that Outdoor life's update is better than Field and Stream's. Both have a very similar appearance, but I feel that Outdoor Life did a better job with making it easy to navigate. I don't like how you have to search for the comments on every article. I wish they were automatically displayed, as they were before.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Krebs_2
    replied
    Hey guys, I'm less sure how to correct issues with the user account system on this redesign since they've limited it to one account per email. I mentioned it above, but you might try emailing [email protected] with your issues. Tioughnioga, if they can't resurrect your old account, they might be able to restore your stars/points.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Krebs_2
    replied
    I definitely accidentally hit the "reported" button on this while trying to click on "1 comment," and I can't toggle it off. Now that's something we'll have to remedy. Sorry Bowhunter75Richard, I wasn't trying to get revenge for your dislike of the site. I second hft's comments.

Leave a comment:

• Natalie Krebs_2
    replied
    Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
    I hate the new design, but I also knew exactly what was coming because of their other websites. I never visit those websites, and I probably will no longer visit this one. Plus the password to my account wont even work anymore and don't have the time or want to recover it(this is my old account).
    I was hoping you didn't visit the other websites because they're not as informative or as kick-ass as OL. I mean, I have seen zero deer hunting stories over at destinationweddingmag.com.

But all jokes aside, we really do hope you stick with us. A lot of the design may look different, but we couldn't get all the other updates we needed (better search engine compatibility, a better advertising experience, etc.) without it. The account issues are an unfortunate byproduct, though, and I'm sorry you're having trouble with that. If you change your mind and decide you'd like to try to get into the account, you might try emailing [email protected]

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun show today
    by fitch270
    Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
    08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
  • Beater .44 mag
    by CD2
    My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
    08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
  • Eatin ‘chuck
    by dewman
    Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
    08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
  • Parallax adj
    by CD2
    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
  • TriggerTech installed
    by fitch270
    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X