Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Site change

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Site change

    Well, what do you think of the new site? Sucks that they don't allow comments on articles or blog posts anymore, and the Answers section is going to be hard for some people to find. I can't say I'm surprised, but I am still disappointed. Seems like whoever thought of most of the changes didn't care about the users here.

  • #2
    Hey huntfishtrap—I know you guys were dreading this, but it's not as bad as you think, we promise. You can definitely still comment on stories, and all your old comments should still be there. See attached image for the comments: you just have to click that collapsible gray bar at the bottom of the story. Even better, you can choose to "follow" replies to your own comments, so you don't miss comments on something even months down the road (I believe that was a requested feature a while back). And even if it doesn't seem like we kept you guys in mind on this, I can assure you we did. Bonnier's web development team has been working really hard to make sure this redesign preserved user functionality. FS & OL were the last of 30-some brands at Bonnier to get site redesigns (PopSci got redesigned last year), simply because they were trying to problem solve how to retain user accounts, all your points, the Answer system, etc. They had to custom-build this functionality. So...I know the change is unpleasant, but we promise we tried. We're ironing out kinks this morning and afternoon, so things might be a little buggy, but let us know if you come across any issues, and we'll do our best to 1) address them and 2) keep you updated. Thanks for sticking with us.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      I guess I can live with it; at any rate, I've spewed enough vitriol already. My only complaint today is that they've taken away my username, Tioughnioga, and I am now Okwaho. I'd forgotten I ever created that username; it was back on FS one time when I couldn't log on for some reason with MattM37, so I created a new username; then when MattM37 worked again, I never used Okwaho again. That means "wolf" in Mohawk, by the way, which is really kind of silly of me; I'm not Mohawk and I'm definitely more of a coyote. Anyway, I have to say, an editor taking a few minutes to explain things and treat us like actual customers certainly made a difference for me. And so far, cruising around here on OL, I have yet to see that putrid green color that's all over FS. So that's something, anyway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
        I guess I can live with it; at any rate, I've spewed enough vitriol already. My only complaint today is that they've taken away my username, Tioughnioga, and I am now Okwaho. I'd forgotten I ever created that username; it was back on FS one time when I couldn't log on for some reason with MattM37, so I created a new username; then when MattM37 worked again, I never used Okwaho again. That means "wolf" in Mohawk, by the way, which is really kind of silly of me; I'm not Mohawk and I'm definitely more of a coyote. Anyway, I have to say, an editor taking a few minutes to explain things and treat us like actual customers certainly made a difference for me. And so far, cruising around here on OL, I have yet to see that putrid green color that's all over FS. So that's something, anyway.
        Yeah, I think my original opinion may have been a bit too harsh, now that Natalie explained some things. I actually like some things better - not as many annoying ads, at least for the time being.

        I was wondering what was going on with some of the user names, then I saw that LovesOutdoors was now Gary Devine, and I figured out that they were using F&S user names, for whatever reason. JM is now Treeline,which will take some getting used to. Lol

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Natalie Krebs_2 View Post
          Hey huntfishtrap—I know you guys were dreading this, but it's not as bad as you think, we promise. You can definitely still comment on stories, and all your old comments should still be there. See attached image for the comments: you just have to click that collapsible gray bar at the bottom of the story. Even better, you can choose to "follow" replies to your own comments, so you don't miss comments on something even months down the road (I believe that was a requested feature a while back). And even if it doesn't seem like we kept you guys in mind on this, I can assure you we did. Bonnier's web development team has been working really hard to make sure this redesign preserved user functionality. FS & OL were the last of 30-some brands at Bonnier to get site redesigns (PopSci got redesigned last year), simply because they were trying to problem solve how to retain user accounts, all your points, the Answer system, etc. They had to custom-build this functionality. So...I know the change is unpleasant, but we promise we tried. We're ironing out kinks this morning and afternoon, so things might be a little buggy, but let us know if you come across any issues, and we'll do our best to 1) address them and 2) keep you updated. Thanks for sticking with us.
          Thanks for the explanation Natalie, much appreciated! Sorry if I seemed overly critical of the transition, guess I just don't adapt well to change. But it seems like some of my apprehensions were unfounded. Looks like your web development team was more thoughtful of the users than I expected them to be. I do have one question, is there still a forum, or did that get junked? If it did that's not a huge deal I guess; it was practically dead anyway.

          Comment


          • #6
            Seems like some of the criticism of the site makeover, by myself and others, was unwarranted, at least so far. Will take some getting used to, but I give credit to the Bonnier team for doing their best to keep us happy. And to Natalie for explaining some of the changes. Natalie, I don't know what they're paying you, but you deserve a raise!

            Comment


            • #7
              Hft, I certainly agree with your "it sucks" opinion !! It is not as easily understood as the old system and at this time I am pretty sure I will not stick with the new system long enough to even try to figure it out. Why people want to fix things that are not broke is far beyond me. Sometimes you can take progress and stick it where the sun does not shine and this is one of those times.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                I guess I can live with it; at any rate, I've spewed enough vitriol already. My only complaint today is that they've taken away my username, Tioughnioga, and I am now Okwaho. I'd forgotten I ever created that username; it was back on FS one time when I couldn't log on for some reason with MattM37, so I created a new username; then when MattM37 worked again, I never used Okwaho again. That means "wolf" in Mohawk, by the way, which is really kind of silly of me; I'm not Mohawk and I'm definitely more of a coyote. Anyway, I have to say, an editor taking a few minutes to explain things and treat us like actual customers certainly made a difference for me. And so far, cruising around here on OL, I have yet to see that putrid green color that's all over FS. So that's something, anyway.
                It's very strange. I feel a little disoriented: I've lost my identity! Like that guy in the Twilight Zone episode or whatever it was, "Who am I, anyway?!" But yes, some of the changes haven't been so bad; I'm a little embarrassed at some of the whining I did (not that I wasn't right, by God! ) And for whatever reason, the look of this is somehow way more digestible than FS ... it's basically the same layout, but somehow everything here just simply looks better. Cleaner, and a little more inviting.

                - Matt, on the banks of the Tioughnioga

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                  I guess I can live with it; at any rate, I've spewed enough vitriol already. My only complaint today is that they've taken away my username, Tioughnioga, and I am now Okwaho. I'd forgotten I ever created that username; it was back on FS one time when I couldn't log on for some reason with MattM37, so I created a new username; then when MattM37 worked again, I never used Okwaho again. That means "wolf" in Mohawk, by the way, which is really kind of silly of me; I'm not Mohawk and I'm definitely more of a coyote. Anyway, I have to say, an editor taking a few minutes to explain things and treat us like actual customers certainly made a difference for me. And so far, cruising around here on OL, I have yet to see that putrid green color that's all over FS. So that's something, anyway.
                  What's also funny is that I just noticed: On here, I'm back to a lowly one-star user with no recorded comments or answers. I'm reborn!! Yeah, okay, I'll drop it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                    Hft, I certainly agree with your "it sucks" opinion !! It is not as easily understood as the old system and at this time I am pretty sure I will not stick with the new system long enough to even try to figure it out. Why people want to fix things that are not broke is far beyond me. Sometimes you can take progress and stick it where the sun does not shine and this is one of those times.
                    I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I think it might be worth your while to try it out a few times before throwing in the towel. The more I use it, the better I like it. Not ready to say it's an improvement, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I know change is hard, but I'm sure you can figure it out if you want to.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I hate the new design, but I also knew exactly what was coming because of their other websites. I never visit those websites, and I probably will no longer visit this one. Plus the password to my account wont even work anymore and don't have the time or want to recover it(this is my old account).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have only just now logged in and don't see any problems. The site seems intuitive enough and will just take some time to get accustomed to. Thanks Natalie for keeping us updated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                          I guess I can live with it; at any rate, I've spewed enough vitriol already. My only complaint today is that they've taken away my username, Tioughnioga, and I am now Okwaho. I'd forgotten I ever created that username; it was back on FS one time when I couldn't log on for some reason with MattM37, so I created a new username; then when MattM37 worked again, I never used Okwaho again. That means "wolf" in Mohawk, by the way, which is really kind of silly of me; I'm not Mohawk and I'm definitely more of a coyote. Anyway, I have to say, an editor taking a few minutes to explain things and treat us like actual customers certainly made a difference for me. And so far, cruising around here on OL, I have yet to see that putrid green color that's all over FS. So that's something, anyway.
                          JM, with one Star showing? What happen to his other four stars?
                          I can no longer sign in with my OL password and username, LovesOutdoors.
                          I must use my F&S username and password.
                          That is pretty Weird ???

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The one good thing about the website, is users can't use multiple usernames with the same email address. It knocks out the trolls and animal rights activists who keep posting things not related to Outdoor Life. Also we had a user clown from Texas who had multiple usernames on Field and Stream. He kept giving himself plus points but he is long gone. Thank God!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                              The one good thing about the website, is users can't use multiple usernames with the same email address. It knocks out the trolls and animal rights activists who keep posting things not related to Outdoor Life. Also we had a user clown from Texas who had multiple usernames on Field and Stream. He kept giving himself plus points but he is long gone. Thank God!
                              BTW, Attached photos in answers are larger, clearer and better. The Edit button was great. I will miss that feature, because I made many mistakes with spell check changing my words. Like Outdoor Life user jhjimbo was changed to Jumbo by spell check.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Gun show today
                                by fitch270
                                Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                                08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                              • Beater .44 mag
                                by CD2
                                My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

                                I inherited...
                                08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                              • Eatin ‘chuck
                                by dewman
                                Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

                                Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

                                Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X