• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bdanny
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    It worked good for me.
    I was up in my tree stand at first light, and a half hour later I could hear a deer blowing. I blew back just as loud.
    Saw a lot of deer that morning.

If hunters can rattle, grunt, bleat and make other deer sounds, why is blowing off limits.
    I know It's a warning sound and when I imitate it, sounds like other deer joining in. There is always safety in numbers.
    I did not believe it either in the past, but now I am a believer.
    Gary
    Me too. It's worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
    When it does work, I think there might be other factors in play. It just doesn't make sense to me that an alarm sound alone would make a deer want to come closer -- though I do see the sense in Gary's theory about safety in numbers. I'm also thinking that it might very well be that the deer KNOW it's not another deer making the sound, but it's not like anything they ever hear from a human or other predator, either ... thus the curiosity.
    My sentiments exactly,35years ago ,I'm not posting this stuff cause I think it might work

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    I know a gentlemen who recommends (after having done it a couple of times, was on the hunts in question, but didn't witness) that if you jump a deer while rifle hunting and it bolts, to sprint after it and stop when it stops. I don't know how well I'd shoot at that point, but he's taking advantage of the habit of running for 5 seconds, then turning to see if being followed. I know I've seen that behavior enough to expect it, particularly in family groups. Generally they stop and regroup (unless in the open) within a 100 yards of where they scattered, to maybe settle down, or maybe continue on.. but they stop.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    When it does work, I think there might be other factors in play. It just doesn't make sense to me that an alarm sound alone would make a deer want to come closer -- though I do see the sense in Gary's theory about safety in numbers. I'm also thinking that it might very well be that the deer KNOW it's not another deer making the sound, but it's not like anything they ever hear from a human or other predator, either ... thus the curiosity.
    My loud blowing snort is pretty damn close to a deer's snort.
    Why sit there like a dope and do nothing?
    Let deer believe there is another deer over there instead of a dangerous hunter wanting to put them in freezer paper.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    A lot of times deer jumped have no idea what has jumped them,in some cases if you know they couldn't smell you ,respond to their blows ,as they circle some times you will see them before they get wind of you,offering a shot

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    What if it's a doe that you don't want to shoot that's snorting at you? Do you still snort back?
    Last time I checked bucks do follow doe,so its up to you.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter
    Nope, I don't believe that.
    Perhaps you would do well to just hunt pigs,I never had one of those come to a grunt.

Leave a comment:

• Okwaho
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    I would assume they are circling a blow in order to get down wind in order to learn what the danger is. If that assumption is correct, at some point they will be down wind of you if they are circling your blow. That is not where I want deer to be if I am hunting them ! If this tactic works on occasions, I would have to think on most occasions it would be the opposite result. I have never tried this so I can not speak with any good knowledge of my thoughts. If this happens to work for some of you, that's good !!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    It worked good for me.
    I was up in my tree stand at first light, and a half hour later I could hear a deer blowing. I blew back just as loud.
    Saw a lot of deer that morning.

If hunters can rattle, grunt, bleat and make other deer sounds, why is blowing off limits.
    I know It's a warning sound and when I imitate it, sounds like other deer joining in. There is always safety in numbers.
    I did not believe it either in the past, but now I am a believer.
    Gary

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    What if it's a doe that you don't want to shoot that's snorting at you? Do you still snort back?

Leave a comment:

• return the blow on deer,each time they blow,often they will circle within range

return the blow on deer,each time they blow,often they will circle within range

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Beater .44 mag
    by CD2
    My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
    Today, 11:42 AM
  • Eatin ‘chuck
    by dewman
    Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
    Yesterday, 07:19 PM
  • Parallax adj
    by CD2
    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
  • TriggerTech installed
    by fitch270
    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
  • Aquila ammo test
    by dewman
    Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
    Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
    08-05-2022, 05:11 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X