Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had a nice buck in front of me and I had him all lined up in my scope but I couldn't pull the trigger because I was afraid of the noise. Any tips on how to beat the noise? Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Take up darts.
    Maybe you should go back and read some of Isaac's comments. Apparently his grandpa doesn't let him wear earplugs while hunting, which implies that he does wear them while practicing. And for that matter, why couldn't the practicing itself be the cause of his fear? Why would you assume that he didn't practice, just because he says he's too scared of the noise to shoot at game? Maybe it's YOU that should troll another site.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Take up darts.
    Really? I thought the poster was the one who wasn't serious. I mean, someone with a scoped rifle must have at least sighted the thing in by now, right? And that noise didn't bother him/her then? Or perhaps he/she has never personally shot a hunting rifle before. If that's the case, the person should NOT be hunting. Taking up darts would not be bad advice. Or switch to bow hunting. Or troll another site.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    Isaac, your question got my attention. If you think the noise is loud when you fire at the range you will not find it any louder in the bush. It is however, far more 'startling' when that same rifle discharges in the bush. I am generally far too excited about the prospect of downing a buck to be much distracted by the bang. Nevertheless, after decades of hunting I am still surprised by the loud report that shatters the stillness of the forest, prairie or African bush. The forum members have given sound advice. Please don't take offence to Ontario Honkers comments, one must take the good with the bad and the wise must tolerate the idiots.
    I hope you get the opportunity to point that rifle at such a big buck that the last thing on your mind will be the recoil or the sound of the rifle.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    Wear hearing protection. That might sound overly simple, but take it from someone who used to suffer that same affliction - it's the only way to go.
    I had a couple of bad experiences with loud firearms when I was a kid, so I was terrified of the noise when I started hunting. I wore good ear muffs at all times for the first year or two, both while practicing and while actually hunting. I was gradually able to overcome my phobia, and now generally only wear hearing protection while target shooting. The exception to that is when waterfowl hunting - I still wear earplugs then.

There are a lot of good options for ear muffs and plugs out there, including a number of models that do a good job of reducing the noise of gunshots while still allowing normal background noise - think deer walking, or your hunting partner talking - through. I'd get one of those.

Other than that, do a LOT of target shooting with a relatively quiet gun that doesn't recoil at all, like a .22LR. Start out wearing hearing protection, then try gradually weaning yourself off it after a while. You should always wear some kind of hearing protection while practicing with any caliber much bigger than a .22, however.
    HFT, you should wear protection even with a .22. Every assault on your ear is cumulative damage, plus you naturally lose about 10db sensitivity per year after the age of about 55. Shooting, chainsaws, loud rock music, jet engines, etc. does it's damage, high frequency hearing is the first to go.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    If noise is that much of a problem, there is always a solution, take up bow
    hunting. Not only is it quieter, is much easier on the shoulder and more
    pleasing to the environment ! I only suggest that in gest you understand,
    but it is a fine way to hunt, give it a try, you may find the quiet more pleasing !

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Take up darts.
    Bad taste? Perhaps, but when you come to the internet a thick skin and sense of humor are advisable without them, you'll surely get hurt feelings. Isaac seems to have a level head so I'm fairly sure he'll keep hunting. Heck, blowguns use darts, and they're quiet. Unless of course, you suck a dart instead of blowing it.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Walkers Game Ear Elite Digital HD Power 4 Assisted Listening Device. Wish I would have had these years ago. The significantly enhance sounds of nature and edit out the bang of your gun.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Take up darts.
    Even if he was, it was still in bad taste. I like to joke around as much as anyone, but this kind of question deserves a serious answer, or none at all.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Wear hearing protection. That might sound overly simple, but take it from someone who used to suffer that same affliction - it's the only way to go.
    I had a couple of bad experiences with loud firearms when I was a kid, so I was terrified of the noise when I started hunting. I wore good ear muffs at all times for the first year or two, both while practicing and while actually hunting. I was gradually able to overcome my phobia, and now generally only wear hearing protection while target shooting. The exception to that is when waterfowl hunting - I still wear earplugs then.

There are a lot of good options for ear muffs and plugs out there, including a number of models that do a good job of reducing the noise of gunshots while still allowing normal background noise - think deer walking, or your hunting partner talking - through. I'd get one of those.

Other than that, do a LOT of target shooting with a relatively quiet gun that doesn't recoil at all, like a .22LR. Start out wearing hearing protection, then try gradually weaning yourself off it after a while. You should always wear some kind of hearing protection while practicing with any caliber much bigger than a .22, however.
    I've heard great things about those; may have to try them out myself.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
    Hi...!!

Do you also often flinch a lot when shooting...?? My recommendation would be to first get some hearing protection...Then an adequate shock absorber on the butt stock...!!

Also, if possible, practice with a smaller caliber gun to help you get over the 'noise fear'...!!
    Get a pair of muffs that block gunshots but still allow ordinary noise through, like the Walker Game Ear. Or better yet, have your grandpa buy them for you, since he's the one telling you not to wear the plugs.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Take up darts.
    Probably in the top five list of bad advice, hope Honk was kidding.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied

Last year I started wearing Walker Game Ear HD's, wish I would have started using something like this years ago. Not only are all sounds enhanced but when I shoot the bang is "edited" out.

Leave a comment:

• Isaac Iman Kuhls
    replied
    Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
    Hi...!!

Do you also often flinch a lot when shooting...?? My recommendation would be to first get some hearing protection...Then an adequate shock absorber on the butt stock...!!

Also, if possible, practice with a smaller caliber gun to help you get over the 'noise fear'...!!
    I wore ear plugs for practice but my grandfather said that I can't wear them when hunting because we have to talk back and forth.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    I'm going to guess you were afraid of the recoil on top of the noise? Just get some shooting earmuffs. Even a cheap foam earplug will work, although I'd get something that is easy to put on and take off. It's dumb to shoot without hearing protection on anyways(I am still learning this the hard way). And I suggest the same thing as HFT...practice shooting with a smaller and quieter gun like a .22LR. You can also practice dry firing with the rifle that you do have. This wont produce any noise, but will help you get used to squeezing the trigger without flinching.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
    by CD2
    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
  • TriggerTech installed
    by fitch270
    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
  • Aquila ammo test
    by dewman
    Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
    Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
    08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
  • Show and Tell
    by Amflyer
    Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
    08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
  • College Orientation News
    by fitch270
    Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
    07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X