Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for an Old Nature Book:Growing up (1960-1979), dad had a small great selection of Hunting & outdoor books. We got all many of the outdoor magazines (OL, F&S, FFG, etc) as well. 1 REALLY great hardbound book was titled "The month of April" (

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for an Old Nature Book:Growing up (1960-1979), dad had a small great selection of Hunting & outdoor books. We got all many of the outdoor magazines (OL, F&S, FFG, etc) as well. 1 REALLY great hardbound book was titled "The month of April" (

Searching for an Old Nature Book: Growing up (1960-1979), dad had a small great selection of Hunting & outdoor books. We got all many of the outdoor magazines (OL, F&S;, FFG, etc) as well. 1 REALLY great hardbound book was titled "The month of April" (May?, something about "Spring"?). It followed the connected life-cycles of a series of creatures in nature through a month-long period in the spring. (In no particular order) there was an insect hatchling, it turns into a hellgramite (that eats another bug), that gets eaten by a fish, that fish gets eaten by a bass, the bass gets eaten by a snapping turtle ... (you get the idea). Other critters include a mouse, that gets eaten by a shrew, that gets eaten by a barn owl ... there's a snake, a duckling (I think it gets grabbed by the snapper too...). The animals are not personalized, they have no voices or thoughts. It's a very realistic fictional observational story of the flow of birth, life, feeding/predation, death, (even the digestive processes of some of the animals). All of the life/death stories are linked, as they would be in nature. It's a truly great book that is not only a great read for adults, but it would have a great learning impact on young readers about what really happens in nature. The book was PROBABLY written/published in the '50's-'60's, I believe it was published by Outdoor Life or F&S.; (I think I rad it in the late '60's, VERY early 70's. It was a hard-bound book (approx ... 9-10"x6"x2" ... maybe 300 +/- pages). If anyone can point me at the correct name of the book, it would be a great help. I've googled every combination I can think of, spoken to my dad's old friends to see if any of them remember it - nothing. Thanks in advance.

Was well before my time, so I have no idea, but I hope someone else knows because it sounds like something I would like to read as well.
    -
    Not sure if you know this, but you can see all of the old OutdoorLife magazines on this website...not sure if digging through those would help find anything, but it's a fun thing to look through.

Comment

I have a vast collection of OL books from the era you reference, read them all and do not recall any fiction book like you describe. Perhaps, it was published by a different publisher.
      Watch eBay's vintage book section. At some point, someone, somewhere who is inheriting an estate will list all the dead dude's books on cheap just to get rid of them.

Comment

I appreciate both replies so for. JM - I think that most outdoors-people will find this an interesting read and, like I said - definitely a referral-read for the next generation.
        Charlie - thanks for trying, & the tip. I have a recall process that I've been working on this particular problem (this book title) for years. I could be wrong, but it really sticks in my brain that it was "outdoor life press" or something like that - it confused me at the time ("O-L is a magazine - how could this book be O-L Press..??") and I think my father explained the bigger picture of publishing (I was young when I read it). I also check farmer's markets (found an original Bill Mauldin - "Up Front" that way), on-line old book sellers, goodwill stores, etc.
        Side note - a couple other things that I remember from the book:
        A) Learning that the shrew has a venomous bite, and hyper-metabolism (No Google or wiki in the late '60's-early '70's);
        B) the snake was either eaten by the snapper (i.e.-grabbed while swimming across the stream), or (more likely) - got run over on the warm road at night, and was then picked up and consumed the next day by ... (a bird?),
        C) How barn owls pelletize the indigestible mouse skeletons and fur before regurgitating them. Other critters then often eat the bones for calcium & other minerals.
        Like I said, a fascinating and educating book. And a GREAT read. Part of my astigmatism probably comes from squinting to read it night after night under the covers with a weak flashlight ... but worth it. I Really hope to find it. If I do - I WILL list its title, etc here for others.
        It's gripping in the way that Capstick & Ruark's safari books are. I don't mean to be gabby, but I hope that the details will ring a bell with someone.
        Thank you both and, as before - any further help from others will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by HunterBob73 View Post
          I appreciate both replies so for. JM - I think that most outdoors-people will find this an interesting read and, like I said - definitely a referral-read for the next generation.
          Charlie - thanks for trying, & the tip. I have a recall process that I've been working on this particular problem (this book title) for years. I could be wrong, but it really sticks in my brain that it was "outdoor life press" or something like that - it confused me at the time ("O-L is a magazine - how could this book be O-L Press..??") and I think my father explained the bigger picture of publishing (I was young when I read it). I also check farmer's markets (found an original Bill Mauldin - "Up Front" that way), on-line old book sellers, goodwill stores, etc.
          Side note - a couple other things that I remember from the book:
          A) Learning that the shrew has a venomous bite, and hyper-metabolism (No Google or wiki in the late '60's-early '70's);
          B) the snake was either eaten by the snapper (i.e.-grabbed while swimming across the stream), or (more likely) - got run over on the warm road at night, and was then picked up and consumed the next day by ... (a bird?),
          C) How barn owls pelletize the indigestible mouse skeletons and fur before regurgitating them. Other critters then often eat the bones for calcium & other minerals.
          Like I said, a fascinating and educating book. And a GREAT read. Part of my astigmatism probably comes from squinting to read it night after night under the covers with a weak flashlight ... but worth it. I Really hope to find it. If I do - I WILL list its title, etc here for others.
          It's gripping in the way that Capstick & Ruark's safari books are. I don't mean to be gabby, but I hope that the details will ring a bell with someone.
          Thank you both and, as before - any further help from others will be appreciated.
          Sounds interesting. Like JM, I'm way too young to remember it, but I sure hope you find it & post the details here.

Comment

There are books like that in my public library. They may very well be the ones you're talking about -- I've taken them down and browsed through them, but never really noted the title or author. If they are, then I can at least get you the pertinent information to do a more productive search for them, i.e. author, publisher, etc. I will hit the library either this evening or tomorrow and post again if I have anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
              There are books like that in my public library. They may very well be the ones you're talking about -- I've taken them down and browsed through them, but never really noted the title or author. If they are, then I can at least get you the pertinent information to do a more productive search for them, i.e. author, publisher, etc. I will hit the library either this evening or tomorrow and post again if I have anything.
              Sorry, HunterBob, I couldn't find the one I was thinking of. And without knowing the title, I can't look it up or put a hold request on it. There's only one section of outdoor-oriented books in my library, though, and if ever I do see it again, I will put up a post with your name on it. - T

Comment

Thank you all that are looking - I DO keep checking back. I haven't been using this forum long, but believe that if you DO find an answer, that you can also click on the "email" link on the original message to shoot me a note as well. I will repeat all info back to here for other's use as well, even if I find it through and outside source. Like I said, I believe that the title says something about a "month" and references "spring" (or march, april or may).

Thanks all. Hope we can find it and share it - been looking for years - not giving up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget