Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposal in NYS to include hunting and fishing as part of the gym-class curriculum. What do you think? The conservation dept. would offer guidelines but the curriculum itself would ultimately be written by the state board of education, whose trac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal in NYS to include hunting and fishing as part of the gym-class curriculum. What do you think? The conservation dept. would offer guidelines but the curriculum itself would ultimately be written by the state board of education, whose trac

Proposal in NYS to include hunting and fishing as part of the gym-class curriculum. What do you think? The conservation dept. would offer guidelines but the curriculum itself would ultimately be written by the state board of education, whose track record isn't so good lately.

Overall, how can it be anything but a good idea? Still, I'd be a little concerned as to whether the teacher is a hunter/angler himself or herself, since so much of really understanding hunting and fishing depends on personal experience. (I'm kind of bitter, actually: In my day, our non-athletic unit was square-dancing and ballroom-dancing. Yup, I can foxtrot and dosey-doh with the best of them.)

Comment

At face value it doesn't seem bad. I can just see the NYC driven course booklet.

"Now that you feel like a big, strong, CIS male it's time to complete the slaughter of this poor innocent animal who's hopes and dreams will never come to fruition. Monster."

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
        At face value it doesn't seem bad. I can just see the NYC driven course booklet.

"Now that you feel like a big, strong, CIS male it's time to complete the slaughter of this poor innocent animal who's hopes and dreams will never come to fruition. Monster."
        You know, I hadn't even thought of NYC ... most of us up here try not to. I do think that individual schools can choose whether to teach it, and probably most of the more urban areas wouldn't. One article I read mentioned that things like rock-climbing, canoeing and kayaking are also options. My guess is that city-oriented faculty and administrators would opt for those.

Comment

I'm surprised. No, make that VERY surprised. I might expect something like that in some states, but not NY. I'm all for it, as long as they're teaching the right things in the right manner. I know that's kind of a vague answer, but without knowing the specifics of the curriculum it's hard to be more definite.

Comment

I will agree with the rest of the answers, it sounds like a good idea and would be
            most useful to at least introduce students to the activity of hunting and fishing, but
            it could also be used to expound on the negative side if that was the desire of the
            teacher. Also to be a teacher of such activities one would need to have experience
            in these matters, these are not things that teachers themselves have been taught
            in their own education to become teachers! I feel as though the negative aspects
            of such an endevore would negate the good, but this is one time I would like to be
            wrong !!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
              I'm surprised. No, make that VERY surprised. I might expect something like that in some states, but not NY. I'm all for it, as long as they're teaching the right things in the right manner. I know that's kind of a vague answer, but without knowing the specifics of the curriculum it's hard to be more definite.
              Remember that most of New York State is not at all like NYC (the main reason that quite a few of us think NYC should be its own district, or better yet, make a separate state with Long Island). When Governor Cuomo pushed the SAFE Act (ridiculously impractical and unrealistic gun control) down everybody's throat, quite a few sheriffs up here publicly said that they had no intention of enforcing it. Also, right now, outdoor recreation is THE huge tourist draw and money-maker in the state -- they're really pushing it hard. It sounds like even this is part of it, in the sense of making sure our own young residents become money-spending outdoor enthusiasts -- one state official even said something to that effect. I am surprised myself that it extends so far as to include hunting.

Comment

I know that geographically most of NY isn't of that ilk. Yet from a 'who really runs the state?' perspective, you got the SAFE Act.

Comment

Yup. Even if the governor were not inherently a twit, it's political suicide to not kow-tow to NYC. Which, as I alluded to in HFT's comment-section, NYC and LI can fall into the sea for all I care ... or at least float away to someplace where they're not stinking things up.

Comment

I hear you. We have Philly.

Comment

Hi...!!

It's a great idea, especially with DEC's input...!!

Comment

It would have to be optional for the student.

Comment

Yes, I guess we're not as unique as we think we are.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                            by CD2
                            Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                            08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                          • TriggerTech installed
                            by fitch270
                            First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                            08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                          • Aquila ammo test
                            by dewman
                            Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                            Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                            08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                          • Show and Tell
                            by Amflyer
                            Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                            08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                          • College Orientation News
                            by fitch270
                            Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                            07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X