Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you shoot a fawn that still had its spots, if it was legal to do so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    In normal circumstance, like it's a healthy spotted fawn? I do believe it is legal here., but no.

I one time got my deer crossed as they moved through some cover and reemerged and arrowed a young of the year doe that was no longer spotted, but probably weighed 60-70 lbs on the hoof. On top of being a mistake, that little doe yielded an even smaller percentage of meat than usual totaling, IIRC, 14lbs all cuts and ground. If anyone is considering it, it is not worth it.
    (I knew a guy who used to joke that he liked to take two small deer every year because they were easier to drag, but the yield is also proportionally smaller to the amount of work.)
    @drb, Yep. Basically the same thing.

Comment

Interesting responses. I have to admit, I am a bit surprised that nobody says they would do it. Apparently I have found the one subject you all agree upon! Lol

I don't think I would, but it would be for practical reasons rather than emotional ones. I'd rather hold out for a bigger fawn or a nice, tender doe if I was looking to fill the freezer. I've eaten the meat from non-spotted young-of-the-year deer quite a few times, though I've never shot one myself.
      I certainly don't think there's anything unethical about shooting a spotted fawn, if it's legal where you're hunting. And I wonder if the people who find the idea of doing so offensive would hesitate to eat veal? Because it's basically the same thing, as drb pointed out below.

Comment

Follow-up question. If you're hunting with a 12-14-year-old when they shoot a fawn that has no spots, but it is small enough it should have spots, a deer you can pick up with one hand. What do you do? Correct or congratulate them?

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          Interesting responses. I have to admit, I am a bit surprised that nobody says they would do it. Apparently I have found the one subject you all agree upon! Lol

I don't think I would, but it would be for practical reasons rather than emotional ones. I'd rather hold out for a bigger fawn or a nice, tender doe if I was looking to fill the freezer. I've eaten the meat from non-spotted young-of-the-year deer quite a few times, though I've never shot one myself.
          I certainly don't think there's anything unethical about shooting a spotted fawn, if it's legal where you're hunting. And I wonder if the people who find the idea of doing so offensive would hesitate to eat veal? Because it's basically the same thing, as drb pointed out below.
          There is nothing wrong with shooting fawns. As a matter of fact, biologically speaking, a fawn is the most expendable member of the herd. They are the least likely to survive winter.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
            Follow-up question. If you're hunting with a 12-14-year-old when they shoot a fawn that has no spots, but it is small enough it should have spots, a deer you can pick up with one hand. What do you do? Correct or congratulate them?
            Seriously? Congratulate them, of course! Any legal deer is a trophy if you're a kid.

Comment

Well...make sure you advise them not to post pictures of it online or else they will get some hate from their peers. My first "solo" deer was a first year doe, small enough that my younger sister could help drag it and my dad never even needed to help. I was in that age zone you mentioned, and I am still to this day very proud of that small deer.

Comment

It is illegal to shoot spotted deer in WI, also illegal to have them mounted without a special permit if they happen to die of natural causes or road kills.
                A strange question there HFT. Why do you ask, did you shoot one? And now looking for company in your guilt? ;-)
                @hft,
                Don't forget the pink hunting vest and hat!

Comment

I'd congratulate them if it happened, but kids that age still need to be supervised here. I'd have no problem at all with them having taken a small young of year, but otherwise typical colored pattern doe. Actually would be ecstatic if it was their first. A spotted fawn I'd probably recommend they held their shot. But if somehow, someway a shot was fired and a fawn went down and it's a kid's first deer. It is still overt celebration time no matter how I felt inside.

Comment

In normal circumstance, like it's a healthy spotted fawn? I do believe it is legal here., but no.

I one time got my deer crossed as they moved through some cover and reemerged and arrowed a young of the year doe that was no longer spotted, but probably weighed 60-70 lbs on the hoof. On top of being a mistake, that little doe yielded an even smaller percentage of meat than usual totaling, IIRC, 14lbs all cuts and ground. If anyone is considering it, it is not worth it.
                    (I knew a guy who used to joke that he liked to take two small deer every year because they were easier to drag, but the yield is also proportionally smaller to the amount of work.)
                    The geography and size thing is funny. A average adult doe here probably runs about 100-140 pounds, with the bucks I've drug out being 175-225. I can't conceive of some of the 300lbs behemoths that up north and big farm country have.
                    I remember years ago I was working over in Jersey and one of the guys I worked with lived down in the Pine Barrens. He came in one day "My son got a 90lbs buck on Saturday!" and I said "And he shot at it!" "Carlin, how big do you think deer get?" "The doe I took during rifle season in the Alleghenies, where they're not particularly big, boned out to 40lbs of meat.. so lets say 120lbs for an average sized doe." "That buck was the biggest deer anyone in my camp has ever seen."

Comment

It is illegal to shoot spotted deer in WI, also illegal to have them mounted without a special permit if they happen to die of natural causes or road kills.
                      A strange question there HFT. Why do you ask, did you shoot one? And now looking for company in your guilt? ;-)
                      Ah, now I know where you guys were last week, when not even the crickets were cheeping around here. You were off reading different magazines, the ones in the supermarket checkout lanes. Get any good tips on fall fashions?

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post

I freely admit that for me, it's primarily an emotional thing. They're just so darned cute. There, I said it and I'm glad. Even the ones who've lost their spots but still have that stubby little face ... I mean, c'mon.

Comment

Absolutely congratulate them. Nothing wrong with a young turkey hunter taking a jake, or jennie in the fall, either. // Good tip, JM. What a world, that we even have to think of such concerns.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty amazing at the effect nutrition and long periods of cold weather have on body size. Our adult does average probably 150-175lbs, and it's not unheard of for a real whopper to crack 200. And the mature bucks start at about 230, and go up to 290 or so. A legit 300lb deer is very rare here, at least as unusual as a gross Booner, if not more.

Comment

@JM, Nah, purple is where it's at. Nothing says "serious unicorn hunter" like wearing a kilt and a bright purple vest. Of course, you have to be careful who you talk to while wearing your hunting clothes, because some people seem to have a hard time believing that you killed a unicorn while so attired. A simple misunderstanding could lead to the guys in the white suits being called.

Comment

@Tiough, See above. Add in a canary-yellow hat and blaze-orange flip-flops, and you're guaranteed to be the hottest date in the asylum! ;-D

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                                  by CD2
                                  Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                  08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                                • TriggerTech installed
                                  by fitch270
                                  First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                  08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                                • Aquila ammo test
                                  by dewman
                                  Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                  Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                  08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                                • Show and Tell
                                  by Amflyer
                                  Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                  08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                                • College Orientation News
                                  by fitch270
                                  Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                  07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X