Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever read any Jim Kjelgaard books, my favorites are haunt fox, snow dog, wild trek, big red, and a nose for trouble, they are great for outdoors men who love to work with dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever read any Jim Kjelgaard books, my favorites are haunt fox, snow dog, wild trek, big red, and a nose for trouble, they are great for outdoors men who love to work with dogs

Anyone ever read any Jim Kjelgaard books, my favorites are haunt fox, snow dog, wild trek, big red, and a nose for trouble, they are great for outdoors men who love to work with dogs

YES!!!! My all-time favorite! Even as a grown-up, I go back and re-read them all the time. Too bad they're not in libraries and bookstores much anymore (what bookstores?). When I was a kid, I think a good half of what I knew about animals, camping, survival, etc. I learned from Jim Kjellgaard books. Hey, have you ever figured out what part of the country the Wintapi is in? I know it's fictional, but I believe Kjellgaard based it mostly on his boyhood home area of northwestern Pennsylvania, judging from the wildlife he describes (except for the wolverine in Big Red, of course; I don't think they ever lived in the East). A lot of people seem to think it's supposed to be somewhere in Canada, but that doesn't make sense given some of the other details (like Mr. Haggin's girlfriend driving from Philadelphia, the NYC dog show, etc.)

Comment

Yes, I think I have. Been a while though.

Comment

Great books, Black Fawn, Big Red, Nose for Trouble and Please Retrieve are all good.

Comment

Here are a few that I was never able to find until Amazon came along ....

Stormy - Black lab, duck hunting, pike fishing
          Lion Hound - Set in the west, cougar hunting
          Desert Dog - Greyhound, can't recall the story

One tip, if you haven't already experienced it for yourself: If you really like Big Red, and you've never watched the movie, DON'T watch the movie. It's probably the worst adaptation of a novel ever committed. But that's Disney for you, the same fine company that brought us that realistic, informative portrayal of forest life, Bambi.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post

One tip, if you haven't already experienced it for yourself: If you really like Big Red, and you've never watched the movie, DON'T watch the movie. It's probably the worst adaptation of a novel ever committed. But that's Disney for you, the same fine company that brought us that realistic, informative portrayal of forest life, Bambi.
            The Big Red movie caused a mass demand for Irish Setters. Due to the ensuing demand for them as pets and show dogs the Irish Setter as a hunting dog almost became extinct. The hunting Irish Setter is just now regaining some popularity.

Comment

YES!!!! My all-time favorite! Even as a grown-up, I go back and re-read them all the time. Too bad they're not in libraries and bookstores much anymore (what bookstores?). When I was a kid, I think a good half of what I knew about animals, camping, survival, etc. I learned from Jim Kjellgaard books. Hey, have you ever figured out what part of the country the Wintapi is in? I know it's fictional, but I believe Kjellgaard based it mostly on his boyhood home area of northwestern Pennsylvania, judging from the wildlife he describes (except for the wolverine in Big Red, of course; I don't think they ever lived in the East). A lot of people seem to think it's supposed to be somewhere in Canada, but that doesn't make sense given some of the other details (like Mr. Haggin's girlfriend driving from Philadelphia, the NYC dog show, etc.)
              Still find copies in used book stores. If it wasn't for ebooks they'd be mostly unavailable. Now most of them are available online for free, except Amazon charges for the Kindle versions.

Comment

I love lion hound, and desert dog is about a grey hound who is abandond in the desert

Comment

The Wintapi sounds like a good hunting, fishing, and trapping place

Comment

And I dont like the movie a all

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                      Great books, Black Fawn, Big Red, Nose for Trouble and Please Retrieve are all good.
                      Is "Please retrieve" an early version of Big Red? I seem to remember hearing something about that. I remember in the novel when Danny was upset because he couldn't make his father see how valuable Red could be as a bird dog.

Comment

Please Retrieve is a short story that was published in Oct 1947 Boys Life magazine. Red was helping Danny train a pup who Red thought worthless. Google Books has this Boy's Life scanned so it can be read online free of charge.
                        Big Red was published in 1945.
                        Now that we're talking about these writings I've downloaded them to reread and share with my grand kids. It was more than a half century ago that I read them. Time for a refresher.

Comment

Sounds like maybe a precursor to "Irish Red," the one with Red's un-trainable son Mike. Thanks for the info on Boys Life; I use Google Books all the time and never thought of seeing if they had that. I wish I'd lived in the days when practically every magazine printed short fiction.

Comment

Sadly today most magazines now read like product catalogs. Perhaps this is why so many are failing.
                            You do live in an age where nearly all the classic magazines are available with a few clicks.

Comment

Came across this Jim Kjelgaard, A Daughter's Memoir
                              http://home.sprintmail.com/~charterbus/memoir.html
                              This is a memorial site setup for Jim Kjelgaard http://home.sprintmail.com/~charterbus/kjelgaard.htm
                              Information about his life, accomplishments and death. Just thought you'd be interested if you hadn't already come across it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                              • Aquila ammo test
                                by dewman
                                Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                              • Show and Tell
                                by Amflyer
                                Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                              • College Orientation News
                                by fitch270
                                Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X