Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check out this video. If it doesn't make the hair stand up on the back of your neck you need to check your pulse. That guy's got bigger stones than me - I'm really not sure I would've tried to call in that buck after witnessing that.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out this video. If it doesn't make the hair stand up on the back of your neck you need to check your pulse. That guy's got bigger stones than me - I'm really not sure I would've tried to call in that buck after witnessing that.

Check out this video. If it doesn't make the hair stand up on the back of your neck you need to check your pulse. That guy's got bigger stones than me - I'm really not sure I would've tried to call in that buck after witnessing that.

Just realized I forgot the link. Duh!
    http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/videos/buck-kills-rival-in-fight-bowhunter-kills-buck

Comment

It's not all that uncommon for a buck deer to kill another. Unusual that someone videoed it. When I find 2 bucks fighting I stalk them as they're preoccupied and sometimes extremely easy to approach. Just depends on the "emotional" level of the fight. Referring to fighting not sparring, there's a big difference. I have come to believe this level of fighting is an indication of an out of balance sex ratio in the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
        It's not all that uncommon for a buck deer to kill another. Unusual that someone videoed it. When I find 2 bucks fighting I stalk them as they're preoccupied and sometimes extremely easy to approach. Just depends on the "emotional" level of the fight. Referring to fighting not sparring, there's a big difference. I have come to believe this level of fighting is an indication of an out of balance sex ratio in the herd.
        I don't know... I mean, bucks do kill other bucks once in a while, but I have to believe it's pretty rare. I've never seen it, and I don't know anyone who has. I've seen them sparring a lot, and really fighting a few times, but the loser always seems to know when to break it off and run. And the winner doesn't usually chase after the loser like that to keep attacking. I'm sure some bucks are wounded badly enough that they later die, or are finished off by coyotes, but I haven't heard of many cases of one killing another outright, except when they were locked together. Curiosity question: Have you ever felt threatened by a buck in the rut, like it could try to attack you?

Comment

I saw an old video (it was a Lohhman Game Calls video, playing in a K-mart's hunting section) in which a buck attacked and killed a doe that was foundering in a mud-hole. I'm sure this was during the rut, since the video was promoting Lohman's grunt calls. The narrator's theory was that the buck sensed that the doe was either injured or just generally doomed to die in the mud and therefore felt that she was worthless to the gene pool. I don't discount that, but I don't have a theory of my own, either.

Comment

hft, I think that would only happen if the buck had no means of escape, or when in a enclosed area.
            If he was in the open , he would retreat from a person first. However, I could be wrong and do not
            wish to put it to a test. Animals do not always react as we would think or expect them to.

Comment

That was really something else. Thanks for sharing. You just never know what you're gonna witness when you go out for a hunt. I am curious how much RealTree paid the hunter to post the video on their site.

Comment

I usually find a couple each year in areas where the buck to doe ratio is high. My buddies and I refer to it as "trophies killing trophies" During the years when WI had EAB more hunters reported finding dead trophy bucks. Never small bucks.
                No I have never felt "threatened" by any buck. Once a doe tried to intimidate me by galloping up close, standing on her hind legs while boxing with her front legs. I yelled and pushed her away, she retreated a few yards to snort at me while I continued taking pictures of her fawn bedded at my feet.

Comment

The buck to doe ratio in my area is usually skewed toward does. That could be why I never see this kind of thing.

Comment

Forgot to add, if you don't actually see it happen like in this video, how do you know it was another buck that killed that dead buck? Seems like it could easily have been coyotes, a vehicle, another hunter, etc. Especially if the carcass has been chewed on by scavengers.

Comment

Canine teeth and antler wounds are very different plus the area where the fight takes place is torn up. How often does anybody search the surrounding area of a fight scene for a dead body? I would bet almost no one does.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Birthday
                        by Amflyer
                        Bought the boy a new Left handed Tikka today for his upcoming birthday. Stainless, composite (plastic) stock. 30-06, but I will load to near 30-30 levels...
                        Yesterday, 01:37 PM
                      • Gun show today
                        by fitch270
                        Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                        08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                      • Beater .44 mag
                        by CD2
                        My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                        08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                      • Eatin ‘chuck
                        by dewman
                        Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                        08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                      • Parallax adj
                        by CD2
                        Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                        08-07-2022, 06:22 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X