Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys, this is really my first time using your site, and I would like to ask some questions if that is ok. My dad and I just recently got a free lease on some mountain property in North Carolina. There is 250 acres overall, and there is 2 sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
    Great suggestions from everybody. The first thing I would do is get out and check it out on foot. You should be able to find signs of animals that are there and set up a plan based on what you see.
    Thanks, I will do that just as soon as I can make it up there.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
      Congratulaions on finding a free lease, those are becomming scarce
      as hens teeth ! First I would say keep your expectations on the low
      side, it may take up to 3-4 years to really learn these two pieces of property.
      Second I would say get on really good terms with the other hunters as
      you have have to work together in order not to get in each others way.
      You did not mention if you would be gun hunting or with bow. Your
      biggest enemy in hunting is the wind and if you don't know where the
      other hunters are, they could be up wind of you cutting you off. This is why
      I think it very important to be on good terms with the others so all are
      cooperative. The 80 acre parcel is hard for more than 2 people to hunt
      and the wind will be very difficult to always stay down wind of deer. Try
      to find funel points, places where deer are forced to move thru smaller
      areas to and from bedding and feeding areas. Don't always look for the
      most convenient spots and if you are buck hunting, they like to move
      in areas with more cover and they seldom use the same routes as the
      does. Again I stress good terms with the other hunters, hunting is no fun
      when there are arguments or hostilites. And you never know when you
      may need help and help comes from a friend much quicket than an enemy.
      Good luck. I envey you for your age!!
      I will be rifle hunting. by the way, these peices of property are a few miles apart. If we are hunting on different ones, the scent shouldnt matter (except mine). But anyways, I am really apreciative of all of these helping comments, and I will try to take them all to the woods! If I get anything, i wll post a picture (if I can on this site). Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        First off, you should start slow, and make sure you have fun. Contrary to what you see on TV, you don't need bait or food plots to be a successful deer hunter. Concentrate on finding where the deer bed, feed, and their travel routes in between, and you'll find the good hunting spots. Deer hunting at its most basic level really is that simple. And one other thing - if there is some other hunting pressure in the area, find out where the other guys don't go, and you'll usually find deer.
        If you want to use bait, and it's legal, go for it. I don't have any personal experience with baiting, because it's not legal where I live, so I can't offer any tips in that regard. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Comment

Hunt is life, if you go to the message board component of the forum and post stuff there, it tends to get a lot more play than under the question area. People have much longer to comment without your post getting buried over time as it will quickly on the question side.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
            Hunt is Life, your post is much more than simple questions and answer. I enjoyed it because your excitement over the possibilities and the experiences to follow is evident. It sponsored some memories for me as I read. Anyone who has had similar opportunities shares your enthusiasm, whether your 15 or 50 it is going to be fun. Enjoy these times with your father, someday you will look back upon the experiences you share with him with the greatest of pleasure. There are so many experiences that one forgets in the course of a lifetime; but, I remember hunts with my father as if it was yesterday. Priceless stuff!
            Yes, 4 ever autumn, looking back on time passing too quickly is bound to bring moments of sad reflection. One day at a time takes on a whole new meaning as you get older.

Comment

Instead of food plots, which are quite extensive and hard to manage when you live so far away (trust me on that one, the 2.5 hour drive means much less time at the farm than you want/plan on), consider doing other types of land management beneficial to the deer. Hinge cutting trees to create cover/bedding areas as well as putting wood browse on the ground is a great option. Get permission from the land owner before cutting anything, and make sure it wont effect his mobility around the land. Go deep in the woods with a chain saw, find some potential stand sites, and do some cutting. It helps create that cover/food source as well as open up shooting lanes. Take advantage of the spring weather and timing to get as much work done as possible. Gives you a lot of time to get everything wrapped up before deer season, and gives the deer time to settle in and be relieved of pressure before hunting starts back up.

Definitely get into contact with the other hunters on the property as well. As much as you want to get their tips and pointers on using the land, you want to be in their good graces first and foremost. Keep any conflicts away, stay out of each other's hair as far as schedule and who is hunting where. You don't want to ruin one another's set ups on a perfect morning by stumbling across their stand site and blowing deer out of their area. And You wouldn't want them to ruin your morning either. Be nice to them and give them breathing room at first, and you may earn some really nice friends and mentors out of it.

Comment

Yes, you can post pictures on this site. You can also add images when you post a question or reply to a question, so if you had a question about a specific area or object you could take a picture for us to help answer. Being 5 miles apart I would treat them as two individual properties, and not one single property. If they are seeing deer and have never planted a food plot, then don't worry about planting one(at least not in your first year). Focus on figuring out where you want to hunt, and more importantly where you do not want to hunt. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

Comment

Seems the good folks here have answered your question well. I encourage you to take Kody's advice and join in on the message boards. We have great fun exchanging tips, ideas and humor there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                    by CD2
                    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                  • TriggerTech installed
                    by fitch270
                    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                  • Aquila ammo test
                    by dewman
                    Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                    Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                    08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                  • Show and Tell
                    by Amflyer
                    Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                    08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                  • College Orientation News
                    by fitch270
                    Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                    07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X