Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys, this is really my first time using your site, and I would like to ask some questions if that is ok. My dad and I just recently got a free lease on some mountain property in North Carolina. There is 250 acres overall, and there is 2 sections

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey guys, this is really my first time using your site, and I would like to ask some questions if that is ok. My dad and I just recently got a free lease on some mountain property in North Carolina. There is 250 acres overall, and there is 2 sections

    Hey guys, this is really my first time using your site, and I would like to ask some questions if that is ok. My dad and I just recently got a free lease on some mountain property in North Carolina. There is 250 acres overall, and there is 2 sections. One is 80 acres and the other area is the rest. We live 2 1/2 hours away, and this is my main problem. We will not be able to go check things every day or even every week. The bigger section is on a river, and I think it is mostly wooded with some fields. 2 other guys hunt it also. I can either put out corn, or make some food plots (with cameras over them). I am confident there are deer there too. I have not been to the property personally yet, but the other people have told me there are tons of deer. I am just looking for some advice form people who have done this type of thing before. I have hunted deer since I was 10 ( I am 15 ) and I know lots of things about it but I have never hunted a property this size before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  • #2
    How long is your lease for? Are the two sections separated by a road or something else? Have any crops been planting on the property before? Do you really need a food plot? Lots of questions to ask. I think a very common mistake people make is rushing their decisions and making a mistake/regretting it soon after. Developing a property takes time. Something you can do from home is print out an aerial map of the property on google earth and start "customizing" it. Mark down where certain landmarks are such as ponds, a fence line, ridges, deer trails, etc.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good tip from JM on the aerial photos. You might also check on topographic maps for the area with the USGS. I don't know that this is the best time to be scouting for deer. My suggestion would be to plan a couple weekends of camping on it in early fall to get the lay of the land. I've done some of my most productive scouting while carrying my 22 looking for squirrels at the same time. Bottom line for me is that I would want to get out and walk it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Some things you may learn now are subject to change when hunting season starts, especially if there is any pressure.
        Do you know the others that have permission? You might get some info from them. Find out where they hunt so you will not infringe on their area.
        If the landlord likes game be sure to share some with him.
        Go slow, and good luck. Let us know how you do.

        Comment


        • #5
          First off, you should start slow, and make sure you have fun. Contrary to what you see on TV, you don't need bait or food plots to be a successful deer hunter. Concentrate on finding where the deer bed, feed, and their travel routes in between, and you'll find the good hunting spots. Deer hunting at its most basic level really is that simple. And one other thing - if there is some other hunting pressure in the area, find out where the other guys don't go, and you'll usually find deer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Great suggestions from everybody. The first thing I would do is get out and check it out on foot. You should be able to find signs of animals that are there and set up a plan based on what you see.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hunt is Life, your post is much more than simple questions and answer. I enjoyed it because your excitement over the possibilities and the experiences to follow is evident. It sponsored some memories for me as I read. Anyone who has had similar opportunities shares your enthusiasm, whether your 15 or 50 it is going to be fun. Enjoy these times with your father, someday you will look back upon the experiences you share with him with the greatest of pleasure. There are so many experiences that one forgets in the course of a lifetime; but, I remember hunts with my father as if it was yesterday. Priceless stuff!

              Comment


              • #8
                Hunt is life, in the future please share some of your outings on the forum. I guarantee you will have a attentive audience for your stories. It gives some of us older guys a chance to live vicariously on your hunts and adventures. Thanks
                Kody

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kody View Post
                  Hunt is Life, your post is much more than simple questions and answer. I enjoyed it because your excitement over the possibilities and the experiences to follow is evident. It sponsored some memories for me as I read. Anyone who has had similar opportunities shares your enthusiasm, whether your 15 or 50 it is going to be fun. Enjoy these times with your father, someday you will look back upon the experiences you share with him with the greatest of pleasure. There are so many experiences that one forgets in the course of a lifetime; but, I remember hunts with my father as if it was yesterday. Priceless stuff!
                  I couldn't agree more. Not just fathers, but any hunts shared with loved ones are extra-special.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    Hunt is Life, your post is much more than simple questions and answer. I enjoyed it because your excitement over the possibilities and the experiences to follow is evident. It sponsored some memories for me as I read. Anyone who has had similar opportunities shares your enthusiasm, whether your 15 or 50 it is going to be fun. Enjoy these times with your father, someday you will look back upon the experiences you share with him with the greatest of pleasure. There are so many experiences that one forgets in the course of a lifetime; but, I remember hunts with my father as if it was yesterday. Priceless stuff!
                    Yep, you guys are right. Hunting with loved ones just adds something extra. There is nothing I wouldn't give to be able to hunt with my dad one more time. I wish I knew years ago how fast life would go. I would have slowed down, appreciated and enjoyed the important things more. Still lots of time left but I sure did waste plenty of it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Congratulaions on finding a free lease, those are becomming scarce
                      as hens teeth ! First I would say keep your expectations on the low
                      side, it may take up to 3-4 years to really learn these two pieces of property.
                      Second I would say get on really good terms with the other hunters as
                      you have have to work together in order not to get in each others way.
                      You did not mention if you would be gun hunting or with bow. Your
                      biggest enemy in hunting is the wind and if you don't know where the
                      other hunters are, they could be up wind of you cutting you off. This is why
                      I think it very important to be on good terms with the others so all are
                      cooperative. The 80 acre parcel is hard for more than 2 people to hunt
                      and the wind will be very difficult to always stay down wind of deer. Try
                      to find funel points, places where deer are forced to move thru smaller
                      areas to and from bedding and feeding areas. Don't always look for the
                      most convenient spots and if you are buck hunting, they like to move
                      in areas with more cover and they seldom use the same routes as the
                      does. Again I stress good terms with the other hunters, hunting is no fun
                      when there are arguments or hostilites. And you never know when you
                      may need help and help comes from a friend much quicket than an enemy.
                      Good luck. I envey you for your age!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JM View Post
                        How long is your lease for? Are the two sections separated by a road or something else? Have any crops been planting on the property before? Do you really need a food plot? Lots of questions to ask. I think a very common mistake people make is rushing their decisions and making a mistake/regretting it soon after. Developing a property takes time. Something you can do from home is print out an aerial map of the property on google earth and start "customizing" it. Mark down where certain landmarks are such as ponds, a fence line, ridges, deer trails, etc.
                        There is no set time for the lease, the guy that owns it is really cool. The 2 sections are about 5 miles apart, no crops have been planted, and thanks for the response. I like an app called hunt stand, it tells you wind, and it shows you the layout of the area.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                          First off, you should start slow, and make sure you have fun. Contrary to what you see on TV, you don't need bait or food plots to be a successful deer hunter. Concentrate on finding where the deer bed, feed, and their travel routes in between, and you'll find the good hunting spots. Deer hunting at its most basic level really is that simple. And one other thing - if there is some other hunting pressure in the area, find out where the other guys don't go, and you'll usually find deer.
                          I have never been there, but we rent a house about 3 miles from both peices and there are deer everywhere. I could've shot 10 deer (at our house) by now but I haven't gotten written permission until last week. Thanks for the tips, they look good and I am sure that they will help me alot. I have hunted deer for a while and just from my experience going with people that have big farms to hunt on, the deer always stop by their corn sometime during the day. During the rut, maybe not but when everythign is normal, they almost have the deer on a schedule.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                            Some things you may learn now are subject to change when hunting season starts, especially if there is any pressure.
                            Do you know the others that have permission? You might get some info from them. Find out where they hunt so you will not infringe on their area.
                            If the landlord likes game be sure to share some with him.
                            Go slow, and good luck. Let us know how you do.
                            Thanks alot, I will take all this into consideration and I will let y'all know.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kody View Post
                              Hunt is life, in the future please share some of your outings on the forum. I guarantee you will have a attentive audience for your stories. It gives some of us older guys a chance to live vicariously on your hunts and adventures. Thanks
                              Kody
                              Haha I will, I like using this site. It is really helpful and the people seem really nice

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

                                Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

                                Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                              • Aquila ammo test
                                by dewman
                                Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                              • Show and Tell
                                by Amflyer
                                Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                              • College Orientation News
                                by fitch270
                                Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X