Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've seen a lot of questions about hunting encounters and strangest things seen. What was the strangest interaction you ever had with an animal while in the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
    One early morning squirrel hunt, my brother and I were crossing a creek and I got attacked by a muskrat. Yes, I was attacked by a muskrat. I had never seen or heard of anything like it. It actually got up on its back feet and came hopping at me like some sort of possessed creature from a cartoon. It was chattering and snapping its teeth as it came at me. I tried to back away from it but it just kept coming. I have no idea what we did to upset it, but I don't think it liked the fact we were there. Thing is, we were moving on, but it didn't seem satisfied with that. When it closed the distance, I launched it with my boot. It hit the ground, rolled and came back at me again, but this time with a vengeance. At this point, I had no choice but to end the encounter. To this day, we have no idea what caused such a docile little animal to lose it on us.
    It could've been rabid. I have heard of rabid muskrats before, although it's extremely rare obviously.

Comment

Had to think about that question for a while. I would have to say it was an encounter with a deer from this past bow season. I was walking through a field of thick head-high weeds to my stand in the dark one morning when I heard a deer moving through the weeds not too far away. That wasn't particularly unusual, but usually they ran off when I got close. This time, it seemed to be moving toward me, and then I heard it grunting, and from the sound of the grunt it was obviously a large buck. I didn't want to spook it, so I started walking away, but it was what it did next that was unnerving. It started following me through the weeds, and when I changed direction again, it changed its course too. By this time it was only maybe 20 or 30 yards away, and still grunting very aggressively. I figured it had to be thinking I was another buck (this was in the rut), so I cleared my throat very loudly - AHEM!! - hoping that would be enough to bring it to its senses without scaring it too much, because I had hopes of seeing it later after I got into my stand and it got light. The buck did stop coming when I did that, although it didn't run away, and I was able to get into my stand without incident. Never saw the buck though. To my knowledge, it's the only time I've ever been followed by a deer. Normally I wouldn't have been worried about a deer attacking me, but with a rut-crazed buck, and in the dark, you never know.

Comment

One early morning squirrel hunt, my brother and I were crossing a creek and I got attacked by a muskrat. Yes, I was attacked by a muskrat. I had never seen or heard of anything like it. It actually got up on its back feet and came hopping at me like some sort of possessed creature from a cartoon. It was chattering and snapping its teeth as it came at me. I tried to back away from it but it just kept coming. I have no idea what we did to upset it, but I don't think it liked the fact we were there. Thing is, we were moving on, but it didn't seem satisfied with that. When it closed the distance, I launched it with my boot. It hit the ground, rolled and came back at me again, but this time with a vengeance. At this point, I had no choice but to end the encounter. To this day, we have no idea what caused such a docile little animal to lose it on us.
        We wondered about rabies too, but it is so rare in muskrats that we just didn't know. The whole thing started out kind of funny, but that changed quickly when it wouldn't give up. What does seem funny though, is that of all the animals I have ever interacted with, I am forced to lethally defend myself against a muskrat. It would be a much better story if it had been a crazed bear or a maniacal moose or a wombat.

Comment

Back in the old days when muskrat populations were high they'd get leptospirosis. It was claimed during the early stages of this disease they become aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
            My coon dog used to catch skunks while night coon hunting. She'd come running in full speed with the skunk gripped by its back and drop it at my feet, then ran away herself. The first time I got sprayed and nearly shot the dog. But she was such an efficient coon dog, later it became part of the sport. When she'd drop the future skunks I quickly shot them in the middle body with the shotgun barrel and vacated the area pronto. Neither of us came home smelly after the first one.
            Glad you see the humor, I did not think it very funny at the time. Every time the dang dog came running I'd get tense. Skunk dogs are not fun to have around.

Comment

So 4everAutumn, as an expert in muskrat attacks, which you do think is the best protection from these vicious creatures - pepper spray or a gun?

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                Fishing , I had a bite and as I reeled into close to the bank I heard it scratching the bark of the tree next to the water,as I went around to see what it was,it just flew away. HOW ABOUT THAT?
                I never seen what it was,it just flew away

Comment

Fishing , I had a bite and as I reeled into close to the bank I heard it scratching the bark of the tree next to the water,as I went around to see what it was,it just flew away. HOW ABOUT THAT?
                  I never seen what it was,it just flew away

Comment

Well huntfishtrap, I lean toward a hip fired 10/22 Ruger, but I suppose anything handy would thwart such an attack. The .22 was the most obvious choice I had at the time. A seemingly touched muskrat happens to be a quick little creature. My cat-like reaction was the only thing that saved us.

Comment

I don't think a musk rat attack is a joke. They have big, sharp, pointy teeth.. LOOK AT THE BONES!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                        Had to think about that question for a while. I would have to say it was an encounter with a deer from this past bow season. I was walking through a field of thick head-high weeds to my stand in the dark one morning when I heard a deer moving through the weeds not too far away. That wasn't particularly unusual, but usually they ran off when I got close. This time, it seemed to be moving toward me, and then I heard it grunting, and from the sound of the grunt it was obviously a large buck. I didn't want to spook it, so I started walking away, but it was what it did next that was unnerving. It started following me through the weeds, and when I changed direction again, it changed its course too. By this time it was only maybe 20 or 30 yards away, and still grunting very aggressively. I figured it had to be thinking I was another buck (this was in the rut), so I cleared my throat very loudly - AHEM!! - hoping that would be enough to bring it to its senses without scaring it too much, because I had hopes of seeing it later after I got into my stand and it got light. The buck did stop coming when I did that, although it didn't run away, and I was able to get into my stand without incident. Never saw the buck though. To my knowledge, it's the only time I've ever been followed by a deer. Normally I wouldn't have been worried about a deer attacking me, but with a rut-crazed buck, and in the dark, you never know.
                        Could have been worse. What if he didn't have fighting on is mind?

Comment

Got it. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                            My coon dog used to catch skunks while night coon hunting. She'd come running in full speed with the skunk gripped by its back and drop it at my feet, then ran away herself. The first time I got sprayed and nearly shot the dog. But she was such an efficient coon dog, later it became part of the sport. When she'd drop the future skunks I quickly shot them in the middle body with the shotgun barrel and vacated the area pronto. Neither of us came home smelly after the first one.
                            I wouldn't at the time either. But I've been there with a freshly skunked dog. I'm sure on some cosmic level, a third party was laughing at me.

Comment

Would that really be worse?

Comment

Yes. Yes it would.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget