Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've seen a lot of questions about hunting encounters and strangest things seen. What was the strangest interaction you ever had with an animal while in the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've seen a lot of questions about hunting encounters and strangest things seen. What was the strangest interaction you ever had with an animal while in the woods?

We've seen a lot of questions about hunting encounters and strangest things seen. What was the strangest interaction you ever had with an animal while in the woods?

Mine was another backpacking story, not hunting or fishing.

We hiked into Round Valley Reservoir, NJ, to camp for a couple of nights.
    First day there the wind just suddenly picked up and seemed to blow a perfectly steady 20mph from late afternoon til about dawn the next day. It was a cold wind in early May.
    We called it an early night and huddled in the tent. Sometime in the middle of the night, I heard an animal scuffling around the outside of the tent. Then it settled into the leeward side of it and pushed the tent-wall into my side a bit and stayed there. I shoved against the wall and it scurried away, but came back in a few minutes. I shoved and it didn't move. I shoved again and kept my hand pressed against the wall. It must have been a raccoon, because the next thing I feel is a small paw bottom forward press right back against my hand through the tent wall and stay there.
    "That's it!" I jump up, and fight my way out of the tent. "Get out of here!" I can hear it running off through the brush, but couldn't see a thing, and it was freezing cold out in the wind in my boxers and t-shirt. When I got back in the tent my wife was staring at me. "So... what was that all about?"
    I told her and added "I'm assuming it was a raccoon, but as I burst out of the tent into the dark it occurred to me to hope it wasn't a bear cub."

Comment

Slightly unrelated, another night in the same tent with the same company. Appalachian Trail a few miles north of Sunfish Pond in New Jersey. My wife was missing my young kids who were at her parents for the weekend and wanted to call them to say goodnight. She'd called and her father had answered but the kids were out with her mother. She asked me to wake her up in an hour to try again. 20 minutes later I start hearing this hollow cow bell like sound in the distance. It's coming closer. Eventually it resolves into a mental image of someone dragging a pot along the ground on the rocky trail that is the southernmost part of the AT in NJ. It continues right into the camp site between the tent and little fire ring (already there when we got there) and a heavy body settles down with a WHUFF of expressed air. I am then treated to what felt like an hour or two of what sounds like the world's largest dog gnawing away at a toy 3' from my head. I am not in possession of anything that makes me feel better about this situation. Eventually it gets up an moves along. I don't know if it was tangled up in a rope with that pot or can or what, but it was bouncing along and ringing off the rocks until the sound faded into the night.
      The next morning my wife woke up and chastised me for forgetting to wake her. "Lady, you didn't want to be awake last night." Told her the story. "I haven't been outside yet, but the ground here is soft, clear, and damp. I'm thinking there will be proof." Sure enough there was. Tracks weren't the biggest bear tracks I'd seen by far. Certainly nowhere near as big as my mental image of the giant beastie snacking down outside my tent. They were there though. They were that.

Comment

My coon dog used to catch skunks while night coon hunting. She'd come running in full speed with the skunk gripped by its back and drop it at my feet, then ran away herself. The first time I got sprayed and nearly shot the dog. But she was such an efficient coon dog, later it became part of the sport. When she'd drop the future skunks I quickly shot them in the middle body with the shotgun barrel and vacated the area pronto. Neither of us came home smelly after the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          My coon dog used to catch skunks while night coon hunting. She'd come running in full speed with the skunk gripped by its back and drop it at my feet, then ran away herself. The first time I got sprayed and nearly shot the dog. But she was such an efficient coon dog, later it became part of the sport. When she'd drop the future skunks I quickly shot them in the middle body with the shotgun barrel and vacated the area pronto. Neither of us came home smelly after the first one.
          I don't often actually laugh out loud while reading, but you got me there.

Comment

Deer hunting one time I had a hunter shoot a doe(not in a doe zone) that came right up behind me and expired. It had a fawn with it that stayed with the doe for over an hour, crying constantly for the entire time. I was on high alert because I was in bear Country. Finally it slowly walked away.

I fish Lake Erie a lot and have helped several deer back to shore. When they get out a few miles they can't see land and don't know which way to go.
            Last year I found an 8pt dead in the Lake.
            Attached Files

Comment

One early morning squirrel hunt, my brother and I were crossing a creek and I got attacked by a muskrat. Yes, I was attacked by a muskrat. I had never seen or heard of anything like it. It actually got up on its back feet and came hopping at me like some sort of possessed creature from a cartoon. It was chattering and snapping its teeth as it came at me. I tried to back away from it but it just kept coming. I have no idea what we did to upset it, but I don't think it liked the fact we were there. Thing is, we were moving on, but it didn't seem satisfied with that. When it closed the distance, I launched it with my boot. It hit the ground, rolled and came back at me again, but this time with a vengeance. At this point, I had no choice but to end the encounter. To this day, we have no idea what caused such a docile little animal to lose it on us.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                One early morning squirrel hunt, my brother and I were crossing a creek and I got attacked by a muskrat. Yes, I was attacked by a muskrat. I had never seen or heard of anything like it. It actually got up on its back feet and came hopping at me like some sort of possessed creature from a cartoon. It was chattering and snapping its teeth as it came at me. I tried to back away from it but it just kept coming. I have no idea what we did to upset it, but I don't think it liked the fact we were there. Thing is, we were moving on, but it didn't seem satisfied with that. When it closed the distance, I launched it with my boot. It hit the ground, rolled and came back at me again, but this time with a vengeance. At this point, I had no choice but to end the encounter. To this day, we have no idea what caused such a docile little animal to lose it on us.
                I've encountered a couple of rabid animals in the woods, but they were so far gone they were past even realizing you were there. I wonder if it was early rabies, or just a strange moment of being territorial. That's a good one.

Comment

Fishing , I had a bite and as I reeled into close to the bank I heard it scratching the bark of the tree next to the water,as I went around to see what it was,it just flew away. HOW ABOUT THAT?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    Deer hunting one time I had a hunter shoot a doe(not in a doe zone) that came right up behind me and expired. It had a fawn with it that stayed with the doe for over an hour, crying constantly for the entire time. I was on high alert because I was in bear Country. Finally it slowly walked away.

I fish Lake Erie a lot and have helped several deer back to shore. When they get out a few miles they can't see land and don't know which way to go.
                    That last is just sad.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                      Fishing , I had a bite and as I reeled into close to the bank I heard it scratching the bark of the tree next to the water,as I went around to see what it was,it just flew away. HOW ABOUT THAT?
                      6p, you lost me buddy.
                      What happened?

Comment

Though helping deer back to sure would make for a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                          Slightly unrelated, another night in the same tent with the same company. Appalachian Trail a few miles north of Sunfish Pond in New Jersey. My wife was missing my young kids who were at her parents for the weekend and wanted to call them to say goodnight. She'd called and her father had answered but the kids were out with her mother. She asked me to wake her up in an hour to try again. 20 minutes later I start hearing this hollow cow bell like sound in the distance. It's coming closer. Eventually it resolves into a mental image of someone dragging a pot along the ground on the rocky trail that is the southernmost part of the AT in NJ. It continues right into the camp site between the tent and little fire ring (already there when we got there) and a heavy body settles down with a WHUFF of expressed air. I am then treated to what felt like an hour or two of what sounds like the world's largest dog gnawing away at a toy 3' from my head. I am not in possession of anything that makes me feel better about this situation. Eventually it gets up an moves along. I don't know if it was tangled up in a rope with that pot or can or what, but it was bouncing along and ringing off the rocks until the sound faded into the night.
                          The next morning my wife woke up and chastised me for forgetting to wake her. "Lady, you didn't want to be awake last night." Told her the story. "I haven't been outside yet, but the ground here is soft, clear, and damp. I'm thinking there will be proof." Sure enough there was. Tracks weren't the biggest bear tracks I'd seen by far. Certainly nowhere near as big as my mental image of the giant beastie snacking down outside my tent. They were there though. They were that.
                          That would definitely get one's adrenaline flowing. Speaking of raccoons, I have heard them make some truly hair-raising sounds. Thankfully I live in an area without any truly dangerous animals, so if I hear a strange sound in the dark woods, I assume it's a coon.

Comment

"to sure"
                            That is possibly a new low even for me.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                              Me too. I literally Lol'd.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget