Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys, its been awhile. So is anyone starting to find a lot of sheds yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, its been awhile. So is anyone starting to find a lot of sheds yet?

Hey guys, its been awhile. So is anyone starting to find a lot of sheds yet?

Welcome back. I am really hoping that you are doing better than me since I have found a whopping total of ZERO sheds. I did find one broken off antler towards the end of archery season though. Towards the end of march is really the only time I go out looking for sheds. I am color blind and have a hard time spotting them this early.

Comment

Non for me yet although someone has been through my woods already so maybe they got to them first. I'll keep looking I'm sure some bucks are still holding theirs. Besides finding sheds it's just an awesome time to be in the woods. You can see and get a feel for your property so well with the trees and brush bare and figure out where the deer bed and what trails get used heavily. The little snow that we have in MN helps getting around also no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        Welcome back. I am really hoping that you are doing better than me since I have found a whopping total of ZERO sheds. I did find one broken off antler towards the end of archery season though. Towards the end of march is really the only time I go out looking for sheds. I am color blind and have a hard time spotting them this early.
        How do you blood trail deer then JM? That's got to be a challenge.

Comment

One of my brothers and I have found 5 between us, but ironically 4 of them were a year old - dropped in early 2014. Kind of strange that we're finding old sheds but not new ones. I'm sure almost all bucks here in my part of IA have shed by now; our winter's been pretty hard. Still a lot of snow on the ground here, so I anticipate better luck when it finally melts.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
            When I first started hunting deer I had to call in backup. Unless the drop of blood was dime sized or bigger there was no change I would see it. There was one time where a 3x3 foot area was covered in blood(deer bedded down for a bit) and I basically walked over it...I did not see it until someone pointed it out to me. Luckily I started hunting at a young age and I have had the opportunity to get lots of practice. The second I see blood a twig or something gets stuck in the ground to keep the track. Now I can see blood better than most and actually have the same people calling me for help now(their eyes are getting older, etc.). People get mad at me sometimes for how slow I am going, but I am just being cautious. Direct sunlight is my Achilles heel though. I still can not see anything if the sun is shining bright.

Comment

Nothing yet, but I hope to get out more when the snow all melts. The way this winter feels, that seems like it should be sometime around August. Earlier this month my oldest son did find an intact skull from a buck that measured in the mid 140's. Because of the laws in Iowa though, we had to leave it in the woods for squirrels to eat. Hated to leave it, but right is right.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
                Nothing yet, but I hope to get out more when the snow all melts. The way this winter feels, that seems like it should be sometime around August. Earlier this month my oldest son did find an intact skull from a buck that measured in the mid 140's. Because of the laws in Iowa though, we had to leave it in the woods for squirrels to eat. Hated to leave it, but right is right.
                As I understood it, on public land in IA the rack from a dead buck is finders keepers, and on private land the finder could have it if the landowner didn't want it. Am I wrong about that?

Comment

I should've specified, whether on public or private land a conservation officer first needs to inspect the carcass and issue a salvage tag. Why couldn't you have done that, if you really wanted the rack?

Comment

Without a tag, any skull you would find whether it be from public or private land would be considered illegal possession of a deer. From what I've heard, while it is possible to get a salvage tag for a skull, it isn't common practice for an officer to provide one. With the onset of EHD and some huge deer being found, there have been a few salvage tags for skulls issued, but not too many. There was no carcass to inspect with this head, so I would have been hard pressed to get a tag for it. Besides, we didn't shoot the deer, so there was really no reason to keep it.

Comment

Another thought: If an officer gave out tags for any skull every time they were called upon to do so, there would be many deer poached and hidden away to be "found" and legally possessed later. I'd say the intent of a salvage tag is to utilize an accidentally killed deer that would otherwise be wasted. I don't think they are really meant to allow a person to keep any big deer head they find.

Comment

I guess I never enterpreted the law that way, re: salvage tags being for the whole animal. I know on a hunting show I watch, the host (who lives in IA) has had CO's out to his farm on several occasions to issue a salvage tag for a buck they'd found dead. But maybe a celebrity hunter has more influence than you or I would have. Another thought - when do you not have to have the tag on the rack any more? I do my own European mounts, and I always just cut the tag off before boiling the skull. So none of the racks in my house have tags on them. Is that technically illegal?

Comment

571—80.1(481A) Salvage. Salvage is authorizing the possession of accidentally killed game for the purpose of human consumption or the feeding of domestic animals.(www.legis.iowa.gov)
                          The tag only has to remain on the animal until processed for consumption so our Euro or shoulder mounts would be fine. With modern reporting systems, I suppose an officer could check to establish provenance of any legally taken deer head if it came right down to it.

Comment

Interesting. I did not know the salvage law was that specific.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                              by CD2
                              Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                              08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                            • TriggerTech installed
                              by fitch270
                              First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                              08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                            • Aquila ammo test
                              by dewman
                              Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                              Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                              08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                            • Show and Tell
                              by Amflyer
                              Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                              08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                            • College Orientation News
                              by fitch270
                              Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                              07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X