Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you all notice OL has all of their back issues digitalized? You can subscribe and read the original OL magazines from 1899 to present. If you're interested in history this is a treasure trove of a time capsule. http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you all notice OL has all of their back issues digitalized? You can subscribe and read the original OL magazines from 1899 to present. If you're interested in history this is a treasure trove of a time capsule. http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hu

Did you all notice OL has all of their back issues digitalized? You can subscribe and read the original OL magazines from 1899 to present. If you're interested in history this is a treasure trove of a time capsule. http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/digital-archives-how-access-old-issues-outdoor-life Who has subscribed and what do you think?

Yep, I was excited when I saw that post(I made a comment on it, but it's gone now? interesting). I am just waiting a bit so that all the bugs can get fixed, but I am definitely looking forward to reading the early ones.
    -
    Have you liked what you have seen so far, Charlie?

Comment

The bugs are out now and I love it. Like many others here I was a big fan of Outdoor Life growing up and the recent issues of the 1950's and 1960's are blasts from my past. The 1890 and early 1900's are downright fascinating. First one I read had a story about what good exercise a Canadian hunt and fish trip is.(they knew something) Complete with original photos of characters, trains and canoes of the time period. Ads for the first combustion engine, auto loader etc. Never thought I'd be able to peruse all those original magazines. It's a real delight.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        Yep, I was excited when I saw that post(I made a comment on it, but it's gone now? interesting). I am just waiting a bit so that all the bugs can get fixed, but I am definitely looking forward to reading the early ones.
        -
        Have you liked what you have seen so far, Charlie?
        The bugs are out now and I love it. Like many others here I was a big fan of Outdoor Life growing up and the recent issues of the 1950's and 1960's are blasts from my past. The 1890 and early 1900's are downright fascinating. First one I read had a story about what good exercise a Canadian hunt and fish trip is.(they knew something) Complete with original photos of characters, trains and canoes of the time period. Ads for the first combustion engine, auto loader etc. Never thought I'd be able to peruse all those original magazines. It's a real delight.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          Hey All - Thanks to charlie elk for pointing that out. It's such a cool collection of content - I hope you have time to immerse yourself in it. I've lost a few hours of my life in that archive, and I think you guys will love it. Check out the search function - that's one of my favorites - to just check out favorite authors, or places, or specific guns. Note that you have to pay to get all the content. But I'd like your feedback - positive, negative, neutral - so that we can help make it an even better experience.
          - Andrew McKean, editor

Comment

These magazines are a look into unfiltered history. Been reading first few magazines 1899-1900. The articles and letters to the editor are debating the start of hunting regs, limits, seasons, which citizens should these apply to and the creation of national parks. Whether smoke powder (black powder) or smokeless gun powder is better. Thanks for getting these out for us to enjoy.

Comment

An article titled Field and Flood told a story while providing how to. I miss this technique in most modern articles which so many times seem to be just advertising for whatever products. Wonder, this Field and Flood article have anything to do with the beginning of Field and Stream?

Comment

Charlie Elk,
                Thank you for bringing Archives to my attention. I subscribed, and have enjoyed them so much. Outdoor Life is the first magazine I remember. I am 75, so going back through decades of publishing has been a trip down memory lane. Even the ads are great. Kindest Regards

Comment

I read with interest, August of 39 I believe, both Elmer Keith and Jack O' Connor had articles in that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                    I read with interest, August of 39 I believe, both Elmer Keith and Jack O' Connor had articles in that issue.
                    I'll check that out, I'm still reading early 1900 and enjoying the debates about setting up hunting regulations and seasons. The whole concept is new then.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                      Charlie Elk,
                      Thank you for bringing Archives to my attention. I subscribed, and have enjoyed them so much. Outdoor Life is the first magazine I remember. I am 75, so going back through decades of publishing has been a trip down memory lane. Even the ads are great. Kindest Regards
                      Perhaps we should start a thread on the message board to discuss the gems we come across.

Comment

I commented on the Off Topic message board on these back issue offering. Like each of you I am very much enjoying the material and Imust repeat that anyone who is not checking on this is really missing out on something great. Have a look and you will be hooked within a few pages. It looks to be good business for OL particularly as the world of the printed page is on a downturn. Good for them and good for the readers, it should be a success!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                          by jhjimbo
                          Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                          09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                        • Spur of the moment rifle
                          by Amflyer
                          I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                          09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                        • The $20 Shooting Shack
                          by fitch270
                          So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                          09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                        • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                          by dewman
                          one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                          09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                        • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                          by dewman
                          So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                          09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X