Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite cut and dish of venison? Mine would have to be chicken-fried steak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JM View Post
    I would say the tenderloins since we always eat them as soon as the deer is killed. Nothing like eating venison with your friends after a full day of hunting. Just picked up a book yesterday at a garage sale on the way home called "500 wild game & fish recipes," so maybe I'll find a new favorite. Even has recipes for oppossum and raccoon(not so sure I'll be trying any of them out!).
    I could make a joke about Missourians and eating coon and possum, but...I think I'll pass. Lol. Raccoon would be about the last thing I'd eat before starving. Maybe it's just that I've seen so many coon carcasses after trapping and skinning them for years, or maybe it's how greasy they are, but I just find the thought of eating coon repulsive. Possum too. I took a DNR trapper-education course when I was a kid, and at the end of it they gave away a booklet with all kinds of tips and tricks and stuff in it. But at the back of the book they had recipes for preparing all kinds of furbearer meat, including, believe it or not, fox, coyote and even SKUNK! I don't know about you, but I would have to be pretty dang desperate before I would even think about eating a skunk.

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
      I turn all my deer into burger---nothing added---and love it in Chili, lasagna, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc. Like JHP, I use prime cuts for stew meat and get rave reviews.
      Since you grind it all. How about we trade? I'll give you 2 lbs. of whatever cut you want for each pound of tenderloin and back straps.

Comment

I turn all my deer into burger---nothing added---and love it in Chili, lasagna, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc. Like JHP, I use prime cuts for stew meat and get rave reviews.
        Oh, and I'll throw in all the rave reviews you need.

Comment

Another thing I do with venison cuts destined to be ground, I mix in some good ground beef. Not beef or pork fat, I think that turns some people off.
          The beef ground with venison helps hold it together on the grill and tempers the taste of the venison some for those who may not be crazy about venison.
          Most people who don't like venison tried some that was not handled and cooked properly or never tasted it at all. This way of making burgers gets past their prior negative experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
            I would say the tenderloins since we always eat them as soon as the deer is killed. Nothing like eating venison with your friends after a full day of hunting. Just picked up a book yesterday at a garage sale on the way home called "500 wild game & fish recipes," so maybe I'll find a new favorite. Even has recipes for oppossum and raccoon(not so sure I'll be trying any of them out!).
            NO SKUNK eating! UGH! Yuk! Nor any canine or cat.

Comment

If you mean fried Loins and backstraps....I 100% agree...had some last week....it's better if the deer meat is less than 2 years old for tenderness

Comment

Tenderloin/back-strap wrapped in bacon and fried until medium rare with salt pepper and sage. Great eating! Even the wife loves it done this way and she is not a great fan of wild game.

Comment

My favorite cut are chops. Here's a good recipe

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    I use prime cuts of venison, cut it in small cubes and use it in my Chili. Even the anti-hunters ask for seconds.
                    Sounds great and making me hungry!

Comment

Here's a few OL articles that may help...

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        Another thing I do with venison cuts destined to be ground, I mix in some good ground beef. Not beef or pork fat, I think that turns some people off.
                        The beef ground with venison helps hold it together on the grill and tempers the taste of the venison some for those who may not be crazy about venison.
                        Most people who don't like venison tried some that was not handled and cooked properly or never tasted it at all. This way of making burgers gets past their prior negative experience.
                        That's what PigHuntress does - mix ground beef and ground venison.

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with that Country Road!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Taxidermy man called
                            by fitch270
                            Teaser; We haven’t picked it up yet but plan to this afternoon after the Kid gets done with work.

Should have pics up this evening.
                            Today, 09:54 AM
                          • Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                            by dewman
                            All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                            03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                          • Ammunition vs. components.
                            by Red Angus
                            Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                            03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                          • Deer population
                            by Red Angus
                            Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                            03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                          • Nice find poochie!
                            by FirstBubba
                            The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                            THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                            02-28-2021, 11:32 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X